Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2018, 11:54 AM   #15

Foretravel Owners Club
In a former coach, learned a VERY expensive lesson..
City park, had the water hooked up,the city had a pressure regulator malfunction while we had went on an afternoon walk about town..
Returned to RV and water was running out the door and from underneath the coach.
The excess pressure had "gutted" our hose regulator and split several plumbing connections in the rig.
(estimated at 175+ lbs pressure)

Totaled the RV due to extensive water damage.

NEVER AGAIN!!!!

Now......the only time we are hooked up to a "shore" water supply is when filling the fresh water tank, then retract and store the hose..
Run off the 12v water pump system on the coach exclusively.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2018, 12:15 PM   #16

I do it the same way and for the same reasons as Old-Biscuit and saddlesore. I'm just glad I can read and learn from other folks hard-earned experience without having to experience them personally.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:19 PM   #17

harleyjt,
Can't speak for any unit but mine--the water feed goes directly to the canister filter, then on to the multi-position water control valve. All water entering the unit has to go thru the filter.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:16 PM   #18

We once were parked next to a RVer who had left in the morning for a day of siteseeing. Hours after they left we began seeing water pouring out of the RV. When they returned they had an awful mess to deal with. It seems the cat in the RV turned on the kitchen faucet. The grey tank filled and backed up into the shower which in turn overflowed into the RV. The floors were soggy with water.

Since we mostly stayed in public parks or boondocked we filled the tank and ran off it. We had a filter going into the RV and one at the kitchen. We used the tank water for everything, including coffee and drinking.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:20 PM   #19

I only use my water tank and pump. I put a small amount of bleach in on every fill to kill any bacteria. I read on the CDC website about water sterilization and follow that. I don't drink tank water, always have plenty of bottled water on hand. I simply do not trust all the plastic fittings in the coach to not crack and fill it full of water in the middle of the night. My pump has plenty of pressure for a good shower. I turn the pump off whenever not in use. Maybe I'm paranoid? Whatever it lets me sleep at night...and it's not a hassle,Bim used to doing it considering the bulk of my camping is without hook up.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:26 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
We are pretty conservative about our travels and I got to thinking the other day about something I had read about some folks not using the “city water” connection for water. They fill the fresh water tank then shut off the city water and use the pump exclusively. The more I think about it the more I like the idea.

Over the years in a RV park I’ve seen many times the water fountain where a hose has split or the water running out under the RV because they had the connection wrong.
We turn off the water when we leave for safety but I’m thinking that if we fill the fresh tank we can more effectively control it by turning off and on the pump as needed. Like at bed time for example.

We’re about to leave on our Christmas trip and almost all nights will be below freezing so we do this anyway and it’s pretty easy, just fill the tank and put the hose up then do it again in several days.

I realize it’s a belt and suspenders attitude but I think it has merit, what is your opinion?
What you describe is how we use our coach. Mitigates waking up or coming back to a plumbing surprise. Keeps the water in the tank freshened.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:27 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We usually use the city water wherever we are. I do keep about a half tank of fresh water (40 gal) on board for occasional use while we travel and make stops en-route. I don't mind drinking the water from the tank - its actually probably better than the water at most campgrounds if the truth were known.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:42 PM   #22

One thing we do to always guarantee the taste and quality of all the water we use to cook, drink and make coffee is use Walmart water from the water dispenser. It is a lot better than adding a lot of plastic bottles to landfills because very little of it gets recycled like it should.
We take a little sniff and taste of the water before filling our 4 one gallon sturdy former ice tea bottles and our single 2 gallon countertop bottle with a dispensing tap. If we're dry camping for extended periods I also fill a 6 gallon bottle but it's a bit heavy to lift.
Walmart water uses city water run through a sediment filter, then a carbon block filter, then a reverse osmosis system and finally an ultraviolet light. That's much better treatment than I can do. Everything that goes into my tank is filtered by a sediment filter and a carbon block filter and can be safely used for drinking, cooking and coffee if needed. Most large grocery stores also have water dispensers.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
Old 12-12-2018, 04:12 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Though we use city water most of the time we do always travel with at least a half a tank of fresh water just in case.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:13 AM   #24

We almost always use the water from city or campground supply. Can only remember one time the supply water had a problem and that problem was the sulfur smell. I don't mind drinking it but it did smell up the plumbing for a while afterwards. We've never used a filter but I'm thinking about getting one to help with that danged hose smell we sometimes get.

My problem with using the pump is that there isn't a whole lot of pressure. It's ok but the city supply is almost always better. I sanitized the tank last year , keep a few gallons in it for while on the road,, but I honestly can't remember the last time I filled the tank for pump use.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:27 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
We almost always use the water from city or campground supply. Can only remember one time the supply water had a problem and that problem was the sulfur smell. I don't mind drinking it but it did smell up the plumbing for a while afterwards. We've never used a filter but I'm thinking about getting one to help with that danged hose smell we sometimes get.

My problem with using the pump is that there isn't a whole lot of pressure. It's ok but the city supply is almost always better. I sanitized the tank last year , keep a few gallons in it for while on the road,, but I honestly can't remember the last time I filled the tank for pump use.

2003 vintage...pump is most likely 45# with 2.8 gpm flow rating

NEW pumps...55# with 4 gpm
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:24 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
My problem with using the pump is that there isn't a whole lot of pressure. It's ok but the city supply is almost always better.
If the pressure is acceptable everywhere but the shower you might try an Oxygenics shower head if you haven't already. They are amazing.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
If the pressure is acceptable everywhere but the shower you might try an Oxygenics shower head if you haven't already. They are amazing.

Or remove the flow restrictors in shower handle or hose.
If not removable use 1/4" drill bit to enlarge
Great flow/pressure

Same thing with faucet aerators...remove the flow restrictors
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:40 PM   #28

Pump water pressure is low at all faucets, aerator or not. I think Old Biscuit may be right about the specs of the pump. No doubt I could replace with a higher pressure/volume pump to get flow up there but I'm not interested in doing that at this time since we use city hook up 99% of the time. Can live with it the 1% we're not hooked up...

Tags
fresh water, tank, water