Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-26-2005, 10:28 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 9
In all of the forums I have visited there is a dicussion about using the campground water and it's quality. Go to a swimming pool supply store and purchase for about $10.00 a chlorine residual test kit. It will make 50 to 100 tests before you will need more test chemicals. Chlorine residual is the amount of chlorine left over after it has done it's job. If there is some left over then it has killed every LIVING thing in the water that will harm you. Properly chlorinated water should have a very small amount of chlorine left over after it does it's job. You can't smell it if it is present in very small amounts. You need a test kit to see if there is any there. I am a NY state licensed public ( small ) water system operator. In my plumbing over the years I have installed chlorinators and instructed in their operation.
Without testing there is no way to know if you are safe or not. A test kit will be standard equipment on my future rig. Chlorine/water contact of one hour sterilizes water and makes it potable ( drinkable).

Ralph
__________________

__________________
Ralph Perrello is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2005, 10:28 AM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 9
In all of the forums I have visited there is a dicussion about using the campground water and it's quality. Go to a swimming pool supply store and purchase for about $10.00 a chlorine residual test kit. It will make 50 to 100 tests before you will need more test chemicals. Chlorine residual is the amount of chlorine left over after it has done it's job. If there is some left over then it has killed every LIVING thing in the water that will harm you. Properly chlorinated water should have a very small amount of chlorine left over after it does it's job. You can't smell it if it is present in very small amounts. You need a test kit to see if there is any there. I am a NY state licensed public ( small ) water system operator. In my plumbing over the years I have installed chlorinators and instructed in their operation.
Without testing there is no way to know if you are safe or not. A test kit will be standard equipment on my future rig. Chlorine/water contact of one hour sterilizes water and makes it potable ( drinkable).

Ralph
__________________

__________________
Ralph Perrello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 02:34 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA
Posts: 110
Ralph, had a pool for about 35 years and tested it of course. However it never occured to me to use the test on the RV water or source. Duhhhhhh

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll do it. Art
__________________
1996 Bounder 28T
---P* VXPP58A---
ArtB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 01:11 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: San Fernando Valley, CA
Posts: 2
Great idea. Will try this out on our next trip. Thanks!
__________________
Chevy 2500HD SB/6L/410, Jayco 243RKS
Carol and me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 01:46 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
brad03ca's Avatar


 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Port Hope,ON
Posts: 2,541
Talking about fresh water quality... do the factory installed water filters do a good job?
__________________
brad03ca

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 01:53 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Frankie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: AMESBURY MA.
Posts: 2,103
I bought a ten dollar tester that uses a mettalic probe. 0-200 reading was considered safe drinking.I tested poland springs 56 reading, sams club was around 150 , campground was 375.Kinda scary,even though we only use city for brushing teeth and dishes.I can't rely on that tester,simply because I paid ten bucks for it at harbor freight,but it did show good readings on bottled water and my house tap.
__________________
Frankie

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 09:37 PM   #7
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
....drink bottled water and cook with it...nothing worse than Travelers Diarreha from contamination...ever heard about a macinator hooked up wrong?........."Bad things happend to good people and good things happen to bad people".....we don't have control over everything and everybody.....geofkaye
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:15 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Socorro, NM (until ?)
Posts: 1,552
The water doesn't have to be "bad" in order to make you sick. Just "different" water can do it. The water can be considered clean and fine to drink but it can make you sick. It can even make one person sick and another one can drink it all day and not be sick (I seem to be more sensitive than David on that point). I just run an external filter (one of those blue camco ones) mostly for sedimate and an interior faucet filter for drinking/cooking water that is supposed to remove 99.??% of the bad stuff. Really depends on how sensitive you are to changes in water. Since running the double filter setup, none of us have gotten sick but that isn't really a good way to tell since we tend to stay in public campgrounds as opposed to a private campground, which in my experience has been rather iffy on the quality of the water.
__________________
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 04:20 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
SeeTheUSA's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,454
Does anyone know of any incidents where the water at a facility caused any problems (sickness/death/rv contamination)? Any ideas on what measures can we take to protect ourselves?
__________________

__________________
Warren and Debbie, Deep in The Heart of Texas, 2018 Winnebago View 24D
2014 Tiffin Breeze 32BR, 2012 Winnebago Navion 24G, 2006 Winnebago View 23H
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Keeping Fresh Water Tank Fresh with Purogene? vicsryd MH-General Discussions & Problems 3 06-23-2007 03:51 PM
Fresh water rwzegers New Member Check-In 6 06-16-2007 04:27 AM
Drain fresh water tank and water heater LA88 Thor Industries Owner's Forum 3 06-07-2007 12:52 AM
Where do you get Fresh Water? Zimectrin Boondocking 2 07-20-2006 06:56 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.