Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2014, 04:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
We also do not drink campground water and, like you, use it for everything else.

We've been doing that for 10 years and we don't treat our fresh water tank with anything.

For those of you who don't believe there is bad water at RV parks there are two of them I would love to have you try to drink their water.

One is in Corvallis, OR and the other one is in Kerrville TX.
An objectionable taste is different than safe drinking water. Well water supplied by anyone for a price, and for public consumption, must meet the same drinking water standards as a municipality, like your city/town, and the bottled water you drink.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2014, 05:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
An objectionable taste is different than safe drinking water. Well water supplied by anyone for a price, and for public consumption, must meet the same drinking water standards as a municipality, like your city/town, and the bottled water you drink.
A cursory search in Google about drinking water will yield plenty of examples of contaminated water like West Virginia, for example.

After personally experiencing the 1993 Milwaukee Cryptosporidium Outbreak, I became more concerned over water quality.

My RV water filtration system includes filtering plus UV and RO systems.

This may be overkill -- until you get sick from contaminated water.

TechWriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:25 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
And what will make bottled water any safer than the examples quoted? They are simply a commercial plant that bottles whatever water available to them, be if from a natural spring or from a city water source.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRR View Post
Putting Calgon in the fresh water tank sounds like you would expose yourself to whatever is in Calgon. I do not think that is a good idea.
NRR
The Calgon commercials and print ads say "Calgon TAKE me away ....",
(NOT PUT me away)!

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-27-2014, 06:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
And what will make bottled water any safer than the examples quoted?
I don't use bottled water. I make my own.
TechWriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:58 PM   #20

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
A cursory search in Google about drinking water will yield plenty of examples of contaminated water like West Virginia, for example.

After personally experiencing the 1993 Milwaukee Cryptosporidium Outbreak, I became more concerned over water quality.

When the spill happened here in West Virginia, WV American Water issued a "DO NOT USE" order. Meaning it was only to be used for fire fighting and sanitation purposes. If you didn't hear about the order, you had to be living under a rock or something.
As a victim of this spill, I can assure you that as soon as you drew a glass from the tap, you would be more than compelled to dump it down the drain. Yes, it's smelled THAT BAD. A normal person would not drink that water of their own free will. I had to force myself to bath in it, even after we where cleared to use it.
That spill happened on Jan 9th, 2014 the do not use order was completely lifted a few weeks later.
It was over a month before the odor left the pipes at our home. Even after the extensive flushing.
We didn't start drinking it again until sometime late March or early April, after it had been tested by independent labs outside of local influence.

I know of some people around here who still only use bottled water and won't drink the tap water and that was 9 months ago.
To answer the question, as of right now, and prior to "Aquapocolypse" we have always drank from the tap, even when it comes from the tank in our MH.

On another note, and complete off topic, that day I realized just how much we take clean water for granted. It really sucks to have a supply of water at the tap that is completely useless for anything other than flushing the toilet.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:59 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post

Yup, and that was from a municipal water treatment plant. So, drinking "city water" is risky too.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water