Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2014, 02:30 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Fresh water tank

My wife and I always drink bottled water when we travel in our motorhome. Our theory is that it's not certain that some water we would have in our tank when filling on the road would be o.k. to drink. So, here's my question. Since we only use the fresh water for showers, washing dishes, flushing the toilet, can we add Calgon to soften it? I use the GEO method for our black and grey tanks so I would think it would be safe for the fresh tank? Any opinions?
sask66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2014, 03:08 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We have a filter ($30 bucks) that we use when filling away from home actully I use it at home also but we have never so far had any bad tasting water. Have you given that any thought?
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:17 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
If I get water in a campground, I drink it.Why would campground water not be safe to drink?

I do not take on water from any dump station
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:30 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
If I get water in a campground, I drink it.Why would campground water not be safe to drink?

I agree. Campgrounds are getting their water from treatment facilities or approved wells and is safe to drink. They're not pumping water out of a lake. If you don't like the taste of the local water then by all means get bottled water or install an osmosis filter at at sink, for drinking water. Even those Brita water filters will remove unpleasant tastes.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:25 PM   #5

I'm on a 10,000 mile trip around the USA in my Pleasure Way Class B. I fill up and drink water from everywhere, I have no choice because of limited room. I can honestly say that I've never tasted that made me spit it out....nowhere ! Years ago there wasn't bottled water or fancy filters and people survived just fine and continue to do so today. It's funny people drink only bottled water but tell me how good that greasy Cheeseburger place is down the street.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask66 View Post
Since we only use the fresh water for showers, washing dishes, flushing the toilet, can we add Calgon to soften it?
Why not a dedicated water softener?
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:13 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
:i agree:
Old 09-26-2014, 06:11 PM   #8

Be advised, the human body absorbs water through the skin. If you are afraid to drink from your water tank after properly sanitizing and maintaining it, you should also be afraid to wash with that water.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post

I'd love to camp where you camp; city water systems ?
But when the park your in is on well water, what then?
Personally , unless the fresh tank was filled at my house, I buy filtered water for, drinking, coffee, brushing teeth, I'm on holiday, I don't need to take a chance on, being " off " even for a day.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I'd love to camp where you camp; city water systems ?
But when the park your in is on well water, what then?
Personally , unless the fresh tank was filled at my house, I buy filtered water for, drinking, coffee, brushing teeth, I'm on holiday, I don't need to take a chance on, being " off " even for a day.
Well water for public consumption (CGs) must meet the same standards as municipal water treatment plants. Our house is supplied with water from 3 wells that are owned and operated by a water district. They must meet the same CDC water standards

True, private wells are not subject to any water quality standards at the national level. State's are free to publish their own water quality standards for private wells; the majority have set standards.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 09-26-2014, 09:26 PM   #11
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Putting Calgon in the fresh water tank sounds like you would expose yourself to whatever is in Calgon. I do not think that is a good idea.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:11 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This aint mexico folks!
Old 09-27-2014, 01:35 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We also do not drink campground water and, like you, use it for everything else.

We've been doing that for 10 years and we don't treat our fresh water tank with anything.

For those of you who don't believe there is bad water at RV parks there are two of them I would love to have you try to drink their water.

One is in Corvallis, OR and the other one is in Kerrville TX.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRR View Post
Putting Calgon in the fresh water tank sounds like you would expose yourself to whatever is in Calgon. I do not think that is a good idea.
How right you are: Calgon water softener MSDS

Tags
fresh water, tank, water