Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #15
Yes, I understand it has two recalls, one for the fridge and one for the transmission. Supposedly, bolts can come off and drop to the ground or go through the floor. Am waiting to take possession, then check to see if both have been performed.

GNHebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #16
Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Most ferry's require you shut off propane at the tank. Bob is correct that most will switch to propane when no 110 V electric is available. I wired mine so I could run off the inverter when on the road to avoid the open flame issue and save some propane. Alternator puts out plenty of power to run the inverter but must remember to switch to propane if "dry camping". I found the wiring suggestion in one of the posts at this web.

08 Intrigue
2014 Ford Edge
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:22 AM   #17
Nor'easters Club
Send a message via ICQ to MaxTurner1
I hope this will help. I've talked with two manufacturers. They say don't worry about grades while traveling and on L-P. Those are short in duration. But when you stop, be sure you are within a half bubble on your level, otherwise you can damage the unit. Almost all dual fuel models have an "auto" setting with default being "AC".
As for turning L-P on and off, most never touch that valve. Just fill and leave it alone. You aren't in a tunnel long enough for hardly anything to happen.
The most often issued warning is to frequently remove the outside cover and keep it clean around the gas burner and chimney. Birds like to build and just a little dry grass or other nesting material can start a fire there.

Also, if you don't feel you're getting the cooling results you deserve in the fridge section. The after-market 12v computer fans that a fellow is marketing, really do circulate the cold from the cooling fins to the whole box. I find it truly keeps everything much more evenly cool. Nice thing is it's cheap and so simple to install, my DW could do it. Who doesn't like simple.
Radio Engineer
2005 Winnebago Adventurer 35A
Toad 2010 Jeep Liberty / Blue Ox Aladdin
MaxTurner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:42 AM   #18
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by Kunysz513 View Post
Keep in mind if traveling through many tunnels you need to turn the propane off.
We always plug in our refridge over night, load with food before leaving, travel w/out propane on and the fridge stays cold. Even after 8 hours.

You don't need to worry too much if you hit a campground with electric within 8-9 hours, IMO.
If you travel in 100degree climate, you had better run your fridge ongas to keep it cool. I have been doing this for almosr 40 years and have not had any problems. Just be sure to turn off fridge when you stop for fuel.
dajudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:57 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The flame when on propane is not really an open flame. But the refrigerator is not completely off unless you have it off electrically off as well as the bottle shut off. If you leave it on electrically, the ignitor will continue to spark and will be an ignition source.

Too many people think that they are self-proclaimed fire experts an create a lot of unnecessary panic over a perceived problem.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #20
Texas DOT requires the propane to be shut off at the tanks when on any of the ferries they operate. And they WILL physically check to make sure it is off.

2010 Sierra 1500 Crew Cab
2009 Funfinder X 210WBS
Miljet is offline   Reply With Quote

fridge, gas