Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2011, 03:01 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fridge servicing in storage

The "how long did your rv fridge last?" thread brings up another servicing your fridge question. Due to a health issue, I haven't been able to use the RV since the middle of June and it's probably going to be well after the first of the year before we can use it again. I start the engine and run it for 15 to 30 minutes and run the genny under load for about an hour every two to four weeks. Should I, and if I should, how often and for how long do I need to crank up the fridge. It's a Norcold, four door version (manual's in the RV so I don't have the model number). It would have to be on LP as our storage here at the HOA RV parking area has no power and there is no parking on the side street behind the townhouse. I can get away with a couple of hours for loading and/or unloading and 110 20 amp power, but I don't need the hassle of someone complaining to the board.

VSPA is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
SHut off the frig. leave the doors open and let it dry out.

Now for the problem...starting the engine for 15 or 20 minutes does way more harm than good. If you are going to start it, you need to DRIVE it fro a minimum of 30 minutes. This lets the engine, exhaust and everything get up to temperature and drive the moisture out of the systems. The seals on the transmission and axle are also lubricated.

It is best to change the oil, fill the fuel tank and add a suitable fuel stabilizer, disconnect the batteries (put them on a trickle charger) and DO NOT start the engine.

The generator needs to run under at least 1/2 load for 30 minutes to 1 hour about once a month to keep the winding dried out.

Ken

Old 10-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

+1!
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
SHut off the frig. leave the doors open and let it dry out. Ken

With Ken's above posted advise and a couple of PMs, I've pretty well decided to just pull the batteries, winterize and shut it down until after the first of the year. With us living in Las Vegas since the first of our three RVs, we normally don't winterize other than leave fridge door open, drain tanks, water and ice maker line and drive it over to Henderson NV. ever two to three months.
VSPA is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, storage