RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2018, 08:23 PM   #1

Fridge Vent

2017 Genesis 34 GS Toy Hauler with fridge in center of cabin vented down thru floor. Dust comes up, I drive lots of dirt roads, and dust works it’s way up into control area of fridge. Requiring me to remove panels to blow out so propane works properly. At bottom of vent is 1/4 mesh screen to keep critters out. Can I put some type of cloth filter to slow volume of dust and not compromise venting capacity. Vent measures about 10” x 12”. Anybody have this problem and what type of fabric could I use. Thanks for replies.

Rhino Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2018, 08:34 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would build a plenum around the intake vent underneath. You have to allow some air in to vent the heat generated by the gas/electric process. Maybe something like the air cleaners on our tow vehicles.
Since this is a toyhauler, you would think that the manufacturer would take into account dirt road towing.

egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino Rider View Post
2017 Genesis 34 GS Toy Hauler with fridge in center of cabin vented down thru floor. Dust comes up, I drive lots of dirt roads, and dust works it’s way up into control area of fridge. Requiring me to remove panels to blow out so propane works properly. At bottom of vent is 1/4 mesh screen to keep critters out. Can I put some type of cloth filter to slow volume of dust and not compromise venting capacity. Vent measures about 10” x 12”. Anybody have this problem and what type of fabric could I use. Thanks for replies.

Now this has to be in the Top Ten of Worse designs. My thoughts are

1. Can you crawl under there and plug the opening with some pool noodle material?

2. A "venturi effect" plastic or fiberglass assembly attached to the vent facing so forward motion creates vacuum. I see now it is a big vent. Maybe modify one of the available ventshade products to make a reverse facing cover for it.

Sudsy
Old 04-10-2018, 03:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino Rider View Post

How about trying a cut up residential A/C filter? I’m going to do that with ours to replace the foam A/C filters.
96 Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:18 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
That has to take the cake for the worst design in history!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:51 AM   #6

A perfect example of a engineer that designs but has never uses what they design.
Have seen it on RV's, tractors, vehicles, street sweepers, fire trucks and the list could go on. Just when I think they couldn't design anything more stupid or hard to work on you find a . This would fall into that category.

Sorry if I've offended any engineers out there. This is just coming from a mechanic with 50 years of OJT. No degree in mechanics or engineering. But have learned quite a bit from the school of hard knocks.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:10 PM   #7

Couple of issues with 'a filter'

*could disrupt the fuel/air ratio for LP Burner.......very narrow and critical
LP System pressure is ONLY 0.4 psi and the mixing of the propane/air is done via venturi affect .......most likely will be OK

**airflow across cooling unit.
Does this 'inbound' fridge location have fans on backside of fridge to enhance the airflow thru that bottom vent and then out top vent?????

IF you install a 'filter' it would have to be a low filtration type (open cell foam etc) so that adequate airflow could occur PLUS add 'additional' fans to pull air thru filters

Probably still end up with dirt/dust that would need to be blown out routinely.

Should send 'Pablo Cormona' an inquiry and ask him "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?"

Genesis Supreme RV Toy Haulers Contact Us
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:18 PM   #8

I would think about trying to mount a flat style automotive air cleaner over your vent aperture. They are designed to pass maximum air with minimum back pressure.

have a nice day - Darrel
Old 04-10-2018, 04:07 PM   #9

Thanks for the replies, I will reach out to Genesis and see if they offer any suggestions. This does rank up there with some pretty special design/engineer work.

Periodic blowing out of back of fridge not that big of deal, have to unload the entire basement so I can crawl up in there, remove 2 access panels, twist into contortionist position (being 6'6" tall really adds to the fun of crawling up in there) crawl back out to retrieve tools I forgot, crawl back up in there, and blow it out. Then put it all back together. Maybe I could get DW to assist, technically it is inside and our agreement is she does everything inside and I do everything outside.

Will update if I hear back from Genesis.
Rhino Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:17 PM   #10

In lieu of any automotive style paper filters perhaps a less restrictive dust type sponge prefilter may be a better solution..seen similar set ups on washable house furnace type filters....you still need pretty wide open minimally restrictive material just trying to catch large dust and not be restrictive to un-forced air
masdixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:25 PM   #11

Could it be ducted through the basement storage area and out the side?

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:59 PM   #12

You could make up some sort of shutter that you close for towing and open when you set up.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:37 PM   #13

Perhaps yet another example that the manufacturer could care less about the end user.

GoneToTheDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, vent