Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2015, 02:29 PM   #1

Frig Fan Wiring

We have a Norcold N61 frig. I want to add an external fan to the bottom back of the unit via the outside access door. I don't have a question about the fan or location- discussions about these items, temp switches, etc, elsewhere.

There are 2-12v positive wires and 2-12v negative wires going into the frig power/control box pictured. I can splice the fan wires to one each of these + and - main frig wires, matching polarities. Also put in a 1A fuse on the + fan wire. The fan will be on a rheostat to control speed/noise.

Should this cause any problem for the frig operation?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	861.3 KB
ID:	99343  
garybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2015, 06:12 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by garybo View Post
We have a Norcold N61 frig. I want to add an external fan to the bottom back of the unit via the outside access door. I don't have a question about the fan or location- discussions about these items, temp switches, etc, elsewhere.

There are 2-12v positive wires and 2-12v negative wires going into the frig power/control box pictured. I can splice the fan wires to one each of these + and - main frig wires, matching polarities. Also put in a 1A fuse on the + fan wire. The fan will be on a rheostat to control speed/noise.
Should this cause any problem for the frig operation?
garybo
Splice into the pair that supplies the 12V power TO the control box. (aka: the wires going TO the control box)
If both pairs of wires are "going to" the control box splicing into either pair will not be a problem.
HOWEVER if one pair is "coming out of the control box" I would NOT splice into that pair!
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:19 PM   #3

Thanks Mel
You say splice into the + positive wire going to the control box, but don't use the - negative (ground) coming out of the control box, ie, find another ground?
Old 07-07-2015, 10:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by garybo View Post
Thanks Mel
You say splice into the + positive wire going to the control box, but don't use the - negative (ground) coming out of the control box, ie, find another ground?
garybo
What I am saying is splice into the pair of 12V wires, both the positive (+) and the negative (-), carrying 12VDC TO the control box...but NOT into the pair of wires (+) and (-) carrying 12VDC OUT OF the control box.

However splicing only into the (+) wire going to the control box and finding another ground (-) as an alternative to splicing into the negative (-) will work perfectly fine.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:10 PM   #5

OK Mel, I understand.
Thanks,
Gary
Old 07-08-2015, 05:44 PM   #6

Well, actually I don't understand.

The 2 + 12v wires go to the SAME terminal on the above LEFT. My Fluke meter display reads +12.9v on both of these wires, measured to each of the - wires, so I don't know which is going "in" or "out".
Can my meter or something else tell me which is "in" and "out"?
Old 07-08-2015, 05:59 PM   #7

The 2 pairs of wires shown in your photo are the ones you want to connect/splice to. Connect the +12vdc for your fan circuit to either of the 2 wires connected to the +12vdc on the board in your photo and connect the - (ground/negative/0vdc) for your fan circuit to either of the 2 wires connected to the GND on the board. You should be fine. I assume you are using a computer type fan that draws less than 0.5 amp/ 500ma.

see the last page of the instructions here: http://www.thetford.com/wp-content/u...2306-21907.pdf
STLNLUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:42 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I did that only used AC power, not 12 volt. Plugged it into the back of the refer (Dometic) and controlled the on/off function by a remote located inside the RV.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:27 PM   #9

Thanks Russ. Yes, using a computer fan.

Tags
wiring, fan