Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Front mirrors

I find when I'm driving by Class A it's very annoying not to be able to see my front bumper corners in tight areas like campgrounds. I drive a school bus and am used to having front mirrors that make that part of my normal driving experience.
-
I'd love to have some type of similar mirrors for my RV, though obviously much smaller as I'm only concerned with seeing the bumper corners. Anyone know of any being available?

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I learned to drive back in the 60s one thing we were taught was to learn where all 4 corners of our vehicle were...

When I tested for my Non-Commercial Class A license in California back in 1990 one of the skills I had to demonstrate was putting my front bumper exactly over a line drawn on the roadway - points were deducted for every 6" that the bumper was over, or short.

While mirrors certainly make the task easier, I think we get lazy by relying too much on mirrors and not enough on experience.

Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
When I learned to drive back in the 60s one thing we were taught was to learn where all 4 corners of our vehicle were... When I tested for my Non-Commercial Class A license in California back in 1990 one of the skills I had to demonstrate was putting my front bumper exactly over a line drawn on the roadway - points were deducted for every 6" that the bumper was over, or short. While mirrors certainly make the task easier, I think we get lazy by relying too much on mirrors and not enough on experience.
I've driven 40' buses for 19 years, averaging more than 1000 miles a week under all conditions. Experience isn't what I'm lacking, certainty is.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Old 10-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #4

If you feel that strongly about the mirrors and are so use to using them for your driving, you should by all means have them installed on your MH.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
If you feel that strongly about the mirrors and are so use to using them for your driving, you should by all means have them installed on your MH.
I was trying to find if anyone knew is they're available for RV. School bus versions are far too huge.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Old 10-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Trick with DOTS! at a RV Driving school the instructor said an easy way to know where is MH is to use DOTs. I thought he was smoking something or Nutz! After trying they make sense. take a plastic cup and place it about a foot off the rear bumper. look in your mirror, where is the cup? take a marking pin or one of those little dots available at office supply store and place the dot at that point. In the front the mirrors can't be used. Place the cup in front of MH far enough so you can see it. Mark spot on windshield where the cup is. Now go measure that distance, is it 5 ft or is it 3 ft. at least you have a idea where it is. another fix is to purchase one of those small back up cameras with the little screen. Mount it on your dash and you can view how close you are to anything. Hope I helped. ed
Old 10-25-2013, 10:51 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDALLSAILS View Post
Trick with DOTS! at a RV Driving school the instructor said an easy way to know where is MH is to use DOTs. I thought he was smoking something or Nutz! After trying they make sense. take a plastic cup and place it about a foot off the rear bumper. look in your mirror, where is the cup? take a marking pin or one of those little dots available at office supply store and place the dot at that point. In the front the mirrors can't be used. Place the cup in front of MH far enough so you can see it. Mark spot on windshield where the cup is. Now go measure that distance, is it 5 ft or is it 3 ft. at least you have a idea where it is. another fix is to purchase one of those small back up cameras with the little screen. Mount it on your dash and you can view how close you are to anything. Hope I helped. ed
-
Yes, those are very good tips, and I did pretty much the same thing when I first got my RV. I've google it this evening and not finding anything purpose made. I'm going to see about just position a wide angle myself and see what I can come up with.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Old 11-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i believe you are speaking about cross over mirrors?
If your vehicle is registered in ny, it must have cross over mirrors installed.
yes they can be purchased on line.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:53 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
The mixer truck I drive has a convex mirror mounted on the side of the hood and pointed down so you can see the front passenger side corner. One like that could be mounted on the front of your motorhome. I would try a heavy truck dealer parts dept.