Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2014, 06:39 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Frustrated and disappointed

On Aug 28 2013 we took home a THOR 29.2 ACE from CW. Our dream had come true. Or so we thought. Without going into details, since then, our MH has spent more time in the shop than with us. The few times that we were able to take it out, we would end up bringing it back to the shop with different and sometimes, the same issues. and everytime we were promised to have it back in less than two weeks. (Do two weeks thea same as two plus MONTHS?) When following up with the service department, either they did not know the status of the parts that were ordered and if they arrived where they were, or they were having other issues, or they would call us back with some excuse. And sometimes, what was supposed to be fixed, was not. While camping one time we called THOR with a problem with the macerator, we followed THORs instructions. Couple of months later we are still waiting to be reimbursed for our expenses. We have sent communications to THOR about all these issues due to malfunctions and THOR has ignored us completely. Our dream has turned into a nightmare. The "in-betweens" have made our lives miserable.

Do we have any options, besides being stuck with our nightmare? Any good advice?
JoeLui is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2014, 06:45 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Does Thor offer factory warrantee service at the factory? If so, take it to them and demand it get fixed. Before the warrantee runs out.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:31 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I would write a letter to BBB better business bureau as well as one to Thor, with your complaints. Show them to the dealer before you send them and see if that doesn't light a fire under them. Most businesses don't like to have their BBB score lowered. The above suggestion to take it to Thor while it may be a far trip would be worth getting your coach in good shape before the warranty expires. Gook luck. Keep us posted.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:57 AM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
If it where me, I would talk to your Attorney General's office and file a complaint with them.
You far more likely to get results there than at the BBB.
Phobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:00 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Bummer!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:09 AM   #6

As said earlier contact Thor. This sounds like a reoccurring CW problem.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:13 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Joe, I'm sorry to hear about your problems with the ACE. I remember how excited you were a few months ago to get your new rig. I'd suggest checking out the Thor owner's section of the forum; there are lots of folks there who can suggest the best plan for dealing with Thor issues. Thor Industries Owner's Forum - iRV2 Forums

Good luck, and I hope you get everything fixed ASAP so you can enjoy your RV.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:31 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
It's unclear to me if you're having problems dealing with Thor, Camping World, or with another shop.

But if it's Camping World:

Dunno if you're aware, but the owner of that Company also owns RV.net, and maintains a whole section at that forum for folks to lodge complaints/comments/whatever about any of the services etc. that the company provides. Responses from the Company- and often from the owner himself- seem to be lickety-split, at least so far as I've observed.

My suggestion would be to sign up/post over there if CW is in fact the source of your problem. Here's a link to the site.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:45 PM   #9

OP, hang in there as things could get better. If I was in your position, which I was many years ago, I would be in every ones back pocket until either all of my issues had been taking care of or they replaced my MH. Keep very good records of everything that you do and who you talk to. It might help later on. I also would be writing letters to everyone involved letting them now how un-happy I was and pushing to get things corrected. In 2000, we purchased a 31' Minnie Class C, that developed a crack in a side wall. The dealer attempted a repair suggested by the manufacturer. That did not cure the issue and the crack got worse. Finally it was decided to have the dealer replace the entire left side, side wall. Being that it was at the end of our camping season, I let the dealer have the MH for the winter. It took them that long to get the wall shipped up here and to get it replaced. Do not give up as you have too much invested.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:13 PM   #10

It's sounds like CW made a Thor problem get out of hand and make you frustrated and Disappointed. There is something called next day air you can get anything overnighted.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:26 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
It's unclear to me if you're having problems dealing with Thor, Camping World, or with another shop.

But if it's Camping World:

Dunno if you're aware, but the owner of that Company also owns RV.net, and maintains a whole section at that forum for folks to lodge complaints/comments/whatever about any of the services etc. that the company provides. Responses from the Company- and often from the owner himself- seem to be lickety-split, at least so far as I've observed.

My suggestion would be to sign up/post over there if CW is in fact the source of your problem. Here's a link to the site.
I agree with above post. Also you can email the CW CEO directly

marcusvip@goodsamfamily.com;

Good luck

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:29 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Joe, keep trying to work with Thor. We had a leak in our kitchen faucet sprayer and a crack in the gray water pipe right before the gate after our first trip this year (April 1 weekend). We called, and they sent a new faucet, authorized our mobile mechanic to do the repairs and paid for the parts to fix the gray water pipe. We didn't have to do anything but send the old faucet back, which they paid for.

We had a few other very minor problems (curtain rail was too tight in one place, replace the cracked gray water gate handle, etc.), which were fixed at the dealer in January. They gave us a date, kept to it, and performed the work satisfactorily.

Are there any other Thor dealers in your area? Have you considered working with a mobile mechanic?

When you call Thor, ask for an email address or fax number. Send a prepared list of problems, attempted fixes, dates, etc. In our experience, they'll do whatever is needed to make it right. If you want more information, send me a PM.

Good luck! We want to see you on the road enjoying your ACE!
virginiamtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:28 PM   #13

Camping World's priority is prepping newly sold units for delivery, no other. Next is walk-ins that must wait for service and go home at close of business. When you make an appointment, it is for you to deliver your RV to them, not for work to begin. They ask when you have to have your RV back, and sometimes they do not even diagnose the the problem until the preceding week. Of course they the have to order parts, wait for receipt, then schedule your RV into a service bay for repairs.
Bottom-line, it's up to you to keep the CW service department looking at your name. You do that by phoning 2-3 X a week and requesting a detailed updated status report. Give them a "must have it back with repairs completed" date that fits your schedule.
CW had our MH for 6 weeks one time, and when we went to retrieve it none of the repairs were completed. That's when I kinda lost it and called the service manager, and the area GM incompetent to their faces. Told them I have been keeping a detailed log ever since we bought the MH from them, and was going to forward a copy to Marcus Lemonis under a cover letter. For some reason I now receive reasonably good service at that store/service shop.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:04 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLui View Post
On Aug 28 2013 we took home a THOR 29.2 ACE from CW. Our dream had come true. Or so we thought. Without going into details, since then, our MH has spent more time in the shop than with us. The few times that we were able to take it out, we would end up bringing it back to the shop with different and sometimes, the same issues. and everytime we were promised to have it back in less than two weeks. (Do two weeks thea same as two plus MONTHS?) When following up with the service department, either they did not know the status of the parts that were ordered and if they arrived where they were, or they were having other issues, or they would call us back with some excuse. And sometimes, what was supposed to be fixed, was not. While camping one time we called THOR with a problem with the macerator, we followed THORs instructions. Couple of months later we are still waiting to be reimbursed for our expenses. We have sent communications to THOR about all these issues due to malfunctions and THOR has ignored us completely. Our dream has turned into a nightmare. The "in-betweens" have made our lives miserable.

Do we have any options, besides being stuck with our nightmare? Any good advice?
At the risk of sounding crude and cruel. I have been in this situation many times in the years past.

Anytime you buy something brand new, you are placing yourself in the position as the 'tester of the manufacturers product'. I call it becoming the manufacturer's guinea pig.

Many years ago, a very good friend of mine was a design engineer for a major vehicle manufacturer. His biggest frustration was the fact that the manufacturer would push the product into production before the engineers agreed that it was ready. The manufacturer had reached the point where revenue had to be produced, irregardless of whether the product was ready for use or not. The engineers would say the product wasn't ready, the manufacturer would say that they would try to solve the problems as the purchasing public found the problems, but they had to make sales, because revenue had to be produced.

So. My advice.

First. Now that you have stepped into the ownership of a brand new product, be patient. Keep track of what is defective, and when it gets fixed, try to forget about it. I realize that's a difficult thing to do. A common human trait is to abandon a vehicle after it has been fixed, because you cannot forget about the initial defect, even though it has been fixed. The result of this is that the next owner reaps the benefits of the pain that the initial owner experienced.

Second. Try to not buy anything brand new again. Let someone else experience that initial 'break in' pain. Let someone else be the manufacturer's guinea pig.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rust