Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2005, 02:18 PM   #1

Location: Pasadena, MD, USA (between Baltimore and Annapolis)
I see that diesel prices are really climbing. Just look at the Flying J in
Ellensburg, WA at I-90 Canyon Rd., Exit 109- $2.799/ gal.! I couldn't afford that; Snowbird would be cancelled. Is your Snowbird in jeopardy due to escalating fuel prices?

Jack

Jack Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2005, 02:18 PM   #2

I see that diesel prices are really climbing. Just look at the Flying J in
Ellensburg, WA at I-90 Canyon Rd., Exit 109- $2.799/ gal.! I couldn't afford that; Snowbird would be cancelled. Is your Snowbird in jeopardy due to escalating fuel prices?

Jack

Old 03-07-2005, 03:05 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I hope not , we will miss alot of our buddy's down south now , if they all travel thru GA. on the way home, less "TAX" we may get to see them. I myself will be going north to Canadian Prov.'s this summer, prices not holding this one back. Early Happy travels to all.---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 05:14 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Diesel is $2.16 and gas $199.9. Gas has gone up 18 cents in the last 7 days.
Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 07:37 PM   #5

So the 1000 mile trip down south might cost you another $50 to $70. Whats the big deal?
Old 03-08-2005, 05:30 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

We are "sunbirds" - we live in Florida and head north during the HOT weather. The cost of fuel won't make us stay home - our lifestyle and summer plans are worth more than that to us - but we will likely choose more direct routes and maybe skip some side trips we might otherwise have taken. That implies we will likely spend a bit more time in each place and visit fewer places overall.

Since we will be workamping during June, July & August, we will probably use around a 1000 gallons of motorhome fuel from April thru October. That's about 7500 miles worth. If it costs us an extra $0.25/gal on average, that's an additional $250 over 6 months. I don't like it, but it won't stop us. Maybe we will have to skip a restaurant meal once a month. Looking at it that way, the extra cost doesn't seem too severe for doing something we really enjoy.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 05:46 AM   #7

I have been leaving my RV at home and driving my Passat TDI. Staying in motels is now cheaper. Not as good but that is life.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:37 AM   #8

I count my nickels and dimes so that I can count dollars; that's just the way it is when you live on a fixed income. My Snowbird plan is based taking several side trips while staying in one central location. Therefore, I really rack up the miles during a Snowbird season, not withstanding that I've elected to travel across country to soak up the sun. I anticipate that I'll drive between 8,000 and 12,000 miles during the next Snowbird season. Every 5¢ increase in fuel adds between $32.35 and $46.15 to my overall cost. So, a jump from $2.20 to $2.75 a gallon adds $355 to $507 to the bottom line. To me, that's a big deal!

It's not the affect that fuel increases will have on my Snowbird plans per se that bothers me; it's the overall ripple effect that it will have on the economy as a whole. In one way or another just about everything we have is dependent upon oil.

Jack

Old 03-09-2005, 07:29 PM   #9

....over time I stopped a bad habbit and now I have the extra money do do anything I really want to do.....I quit smoking at $3.25 a day.....plus I might live long enough to spend it all.....or try like ****-o!.....geof kaye
Old 03-10-2005, 04:27 AM   #10

Good for you Kaye! I'm sure that we can all save (in many ways) by cutting out bad habbits.

Jack

Old 03-10-2005, 11:17 AM   #11

I try not to let the price of fuel disuade me from my travels. I merely find other ways to save money to offset the fuel increase. For example, if I'm enroute and only want to park for the night, I choose Wal*Mart over a commercial trailer park or campground. The $20-30 saved will buy 10 gallons, depending on prices. Another obvious way to save is to eat more meals in the RV rather than at a restaurant. There are many other "tricks" that can be employed to help negate the fuel increase. Being in an RV simplifies matters.

mr. ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 11:31 AM   #12

I know it won't keep us home, but it may curtail on how many trips we take during the summer before we head South. Ed. S
Old 03-10-2005, 02:18 PM   #13

I don't get it? Are you in Washington? The rest of the country listed on the Flying J site is about $2 per gallon. WA has a huge tax on their fuel, so if it is an issue, I would skip WA state. Almost everywhere else is about $ .70 per gallon cheaper. Not a major issue I think?
Texas Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:18 PM   #14

......I eat out 3 times a day and have for 9 years now....my cooking skills are somewhat ...."dangerous"...A friend suggested I could get a wife for the money I spent in restraunts alone....So I figured out the cost of a wife.....by the time you add all the extras I could eat in a 5 star restraunt 3 times a day for the rest-of my life......What I need is a skinney ugly cook who likes to have relations 3 times a day and doesn't like to wear anything but jeans and tee shirts and can't drive a car-and has No relatives living or dead....geof kaye