Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2007, 04:58 PM   #43

Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Regular went up to $2.69 yesterday. An 8 cent jump </div></BLOCKQUOTE> heck that ain't bad, we're paying US$3.66 gal here in Nova Scotia

Willis
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2007, 07:56 PM   #44

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is a piece they had in Costco's magazine this April for oil burners running vegetable oil. www.plantdrive.com , us gas burners will have to go to corn liquor (if you can't drive it, you can drink it).
Glen Taylor Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:33 AM   #45

Fuel prices will continue to rise. I see no perm decline coming. I am amazed they are not higher given the price in Europe etc. Also the dollar is weak compared to the rest of the world.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:15 AM   #46

Just a couple of thoughts on oil and gas prices.
The "Benchmark" price for light,sweet crude is based upon West Texas Light, Sweet Crude. Not to say that middle-east crude is bad, but most of it is not quite that good...just a lot easier and cheaper to get out of the ground.
As to the mention of a bunch of senior economics students "wetting their pants" reading all the posts in this column that might be so. But then you need to remember they have great textbook knowledge, but are still wet behind the ears when it comes to "real world" economics. I'll bet they don't have any good answers either!
Mix in greed, world politics, large corporation control of supply and demand, etc. and you end up with a gasoline market that does not fully respond to supply and demand in a "textbook,free market" manner.
Numerous small refineries that existed in the US 20 years ago are gone. Most were acquired by a larger company and shut down as unprofitable. Do that often enough and then merge even the larger refiners and you end up with a very well controlled gasoline supply situation, regardless of the availability and price of crude.
Remember all the talk over the past 10-15 years about crude from coal? Coal can be made into crude oil then gasoline. So can the shale deposits and tar-sands of Canada. While some oils from Canada currently comes from that source, you still see no big push by our government to mount a "Manhattan project" type approach to get coal from U.S. coal, the world's largest coal reserves.
So evidently there is no shortage of oil and no middle east crisis that is so threatening as to motivate the development of a known alternative to middle east, cartel controlled crude oil.
Perhaps this indicates our elected public servants think $3 a gallon gas is a good thing for us?...$3.50, do I hear $4? Going, going...
KTYSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:40 AM   #47

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KTYSTR:
Remember all the talk over the past 10-15 years about crude from coal? Coal can be made into crude oil then gasoline. So can the shale deposits and tar-sands of Canada. While some oils from Canada currently comes from that source, you still see no big push by our government to mount a "Manhattan project" type approach to get coal from U.S. coal, the world's largest coal reserves.
So evidently there is no shortage of oil and no middle east crisis that is so threatening as to motivate the development of a known alternative to middle east, cartel controlled crude oil.
Perhaps this indicates our elected public servants think $3 a gallon gas is a good thing for us?...$3.50, do I hear $4? Going, going... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Quite frankly, the major oil companies do their planning based upon, and would prefer to see, long term crude oil prices in the $35-$40/bbl range. Why? One reason is that sustained $65-$70/bbl prices provide a price umbrella under which alternate technology (such as synthetic crude from tar sands or coal) can be developed, and this is taking place - see HERE. That's the way a free market economy works - if the price of a product is high enough, higher-cost alternate sources of the product become financially viable and will be developed.

So, it might be more correct to say that there's not an energy shortage as much as there's a cheap energy shortage.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:55 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Hamguy. I believe it was after Catrina.

Steve
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:23 PM   #49

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stevegeorgetown:
Hamguy. I believe it was after Catrina.

Steve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I recall Katrina was in late August of 2005. Gas spiked for me in my RV in Sept of 2005 at about 2.96. That was in Idaho, Oregon, and Colorado.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:08 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Hamguy. You have refreshed my memory. I thought prices spiked after purchasing our motorhome in 06 but it was actually after purchasing our truck in August of o5. I remember making the deal and then the next day the gas pump prices went through the roof! I thought of calling them back to ask if they could pull the V 8 out and put a liddle 4 banger in.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:36 AM   #51

You are all wrong. The only reason gas prices are going through the roof is because I bought a 37 foot motorhome that craves gas, AND cannot resist the desire to take it out every chance I get. The only thing that keeps me from spending all of my kids inheritance is that I have to work so I can satisfy this recently aquired habit. I AN AN RV JUNKIE !!!!!!

2006 Monarch SE 37"
stevelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:45 AM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Welcome to the club. Same problem here.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:07 AM   #53

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I noted while watching FOX this morning that they commented on how the new congress has NOT lowered gas prices AS PROMISED. In fact gas has gone up $0.40 since January.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 10:34 PM   #54

Vintage RV Owners Club
Simplest approach to the prices you can take is to NOT travel during the summer. Save your traveling for the fall and winter months when the gas prices go down. I've shifted a good portion of my travel to that time of the year and have saved money on the fuel costs.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:44 AM   #55

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I AN AN RV JUNKIE !!!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too! And, the high cost of fuel is causing me to scale back on purchasing accessories, etc. for my RV habit. If a lot of others are doing this too it will ultimately have an impact on other segments of the industry.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:35 PM   #56

We have also gone to traveling in spring and fall. Not only to try and get cheaper gas, but campground sites are easier to get.
Has anyone else noticed that even with outrageous gas prices, people don't seem to be carpooling. I don't understand that. Start noticing when driving in rush hour, how many cars only have one person in them. I think if carpooling came back into "style", the big oil companies would begin to notice!!
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote