Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2017, 07:54 AM   #43

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
But gassers have to deal with access issues because they can't use the truck pumps.

And I think that's something people may be overlooking--the price at Safeway may be less than at Pilot, but I never assume I'll be able to get my big rig into pumps at places like supermarkets. In fact, I assume it will be difficult unless I've examined the location carefully with satellite views and street views, and even then, sometimes just one car in the wrong place can make it much more difficult than I thought it was going to be.

Even Buc-ees--they have a million pumps, but if you're in a big rig you really need to be on the outside pumps, so all those other pumps don't even matter, except they bring more cars buzzing around.

And yes, I've heard the argument that the refueling trucks have to be able to get in, so big rigs should be able to, too, but the refueling trucks don't have to pull up to a particular diesel pump on an island, which is more difficult than staging out where they refuel the tanks.
There are several reasons I prefer my gasser. One is that gas prices can be/are significantly cheaper than diesel. Yes, I concede that diesels get better fuel mileage, but with the difference in price of fuels, it is a wash at least. Secondly, I hate the smell of diesel. Gas isn't that great either, but the smell eventually evaporates unlike diesel.

Access to pumps is no different than diesels, which is why I seek out Flying J truck stops. The RV lanes plus the other amenities offered to RV'ers are main reasons for using them. Also, gas prices are usually competitive with other stations, especially with the GS discount of 5 cents per gallon. When FJ's are not available I will look for Murphy's or Walmart since they usually have room to maneuver with a big rig. Sometimes, however, I must use a regular gas station. And if that's the case, the DW and I carefully scout it out for entrance and egress before pulling in. I have never had to disconnect the toad to get in/out of a fueling station. I have had to disconnect the toad on other occasions, but that's not relevant to this topic.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2017, 09:12 AM   #44
IC2

A couple years back, we used Love's or Flying J in the West exclusively. Last year, occasionally as there was more disparity in diesel pricing. This year we didn't venture West but North and South. We found last week that these big truck stops were as much as .50 higher in both VA and PA. Since my TV holds about 40 gallons, I can drive about as far as my back will handle it (350 miles) then unhook at a CG, fire up Gas Buddy and find a station pretty close by for a lot less/gallon. PA is outrageous with their pricing at about $3.50/gallon with a credit card and no discounts at the truck stops and about $2.90-3.00/gallon at most local stations. In VA, about $2.55/gallon at Sheetz and other name brand stations while the big truck stops were in the $3.00/gallon range. I don't have the need for a Love's/Pilot truck lane while hauling a 5er but understand how the CL A units would benefit.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:49 AM   #45

I have used PFJ for yrs w our prior gas MH and felt prices were generally good.
Since moving to a DP and reading threads like this one here on iRV2 I have been making more observations ans comparisons. What I find at least around hete in NY State...
PFJ gas prices run $0.10 to $0.20 below local stations if ypu include the GS card discounts.
Diesel on the other hand runs $0.25 to $0.40 higher at PFJ even with the discount.

If the difference is the highway tax rate for OTR use does OFJ have lower diesel prices at the auto pumps?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:32 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TbearKline View Post
I've read some posts on the FMCA forums indicate that Arizona has a two tier diesel fuel tax. (in 2014) 18 cents/gallon for light cars and trucks and 26 cents for heavies. This means, according to Arizona law, any vehicle having more than two axles, OR any vehicle having a GVW in excess of 26,000 pounds MUST refuel ONLY at those pumps having a sticker affixed to them indicating the tax collected is at 26 cents/gallon. and RVs are NOT EXEMPT. You can get ticketed if you fuel up at the wrong pump.
I live in AZ and have never heard this, I fill at Sam's club if I can, cheaper than area stations and easy in/out.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:02 AM   #47

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Regarding the AZ fuel tax situation, I'm posting an email exchange that I had with Mark Zimmerman, Senior Division Administrator, Revenue and Fuel Tax Administration of Arizona.

The bottom line being all non-commercial motorhomes are exempt from the .26¢ per gallon, and are only required to pay the .18¢ per gallon.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AZ Motor Home Diesel Tax Rate.pdf (404.3 KB, 28 views)
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel