Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2017, 06:01 PM   #1

Fuel prices at major Truck Stops

I am sure everyone else has noticed that the major truck stops like Love’s and Flying J has fuel prices that are as much as 40-50 cents higher that the normal stations like Walmart and others. How do they get away with this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2017, 06:07 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Your paying for over the road taxes on big rigs.

93 Monaco Dynasty 300HP (for now)
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:07 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They don't in my book. I quite using them. Gas Buddy is your friend. I am at over 300 gals on this thrip, 50 cents a gal will fill the tank. SE WA to S TX.
rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:14 PM   #4
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here in NW Ohio, The five Truck stops at the (I-80 and I-75 / I-280) interchange are usually even or several cents below the prices in town.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:18 PM   #5

I have 36 gallons internal and 91 gallons in the bed. When I need fuel I unhook (at the end of the day, in camp) and go fill up with the cheapest fuel in the area while dinner is being prepared. I have no need for a truck stop.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Your paying for over the road taxes on big rigs.
Are you saying the tax rate at Flying J or Pilot is different than the tax rate at a local convenience store? I've never heard of such a thing. In which states is that true?
Old 10-18-2017, 06:27 PM   #7

They get away with it because few trucking lines pay that price. Most negotiate a contract fuel price, that only the corporate office sees. The drivers are given an approved fuel stop sheet, from which they may only deviate if they are in a jam. Most fleet cards also afford a discount.

Also, most big rig drivers aren't going to Walmart or other smaller stations for fuel. It is too slow, too risky and too inconvenient. They prefer room to maneuver, and one stop shopping. They also get points for their purchases, free showers with fuel purchases, and a free parking space when they need it.
petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:34 PM   #8

I can't comment on diesel prices but for gas, Loves and Pilot/Flying J are cheaper or at most a few pennys more than local gas stations in FL and GA.

YMMV

Can someone demonstrate a 50 cent difference?
Old 10-18-2017, 06:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeHardRock View Post
I am sure everyone else has noticed that the major truck stops like Love’s and Flying J has fuel prices that are as much as 40-50 cents higher that the normal stations like Walmart and others. How do they get away with this?
I've not see that around here. In fact I got gas at a Pilot because it was cheaper the other day even after figuring in lost cash back.

Right now gas buddy shows diesel from 2.77 to 2.99 locally. One truck stop is 2.99 along with several smaller stations. The 2.77 is at an interchange that has at least 2 smaller stations and 2 truck stops. I think it's one of the smaller stations however priced there. Still if 2.99 cash then -.08 card gets to 2.91. Difference of .14 plus any card refunds. Meijer is 2.84 BTW.

Regular is 2.27-2.39 With the one truck stop I am sure of at 2.33. Premium 2.85-3.29 With truck stop (Shell) at 3.00 and the 3.29 being a Shell I'd not want to try getting a coach into.

So on a 100gal fill (diesel) most savings is about $15 and at 6mpg or less I lose a big part of that getting to the low price not to mention time. (Probably would take me 2 gal more if was running the interstate.)

Tom
Old 10-18-2017, 06:51 PM   #10

Fuel prices at major Truck Stops

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post

Can someone demonstrate a 50 cent difference?

I only average about .35 cheaper, and also get 5% off for my CC, and fuel points too.
But I have saved over .60 at times.
$35 per 100gals buys nice tires.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5866.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	180302

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:00 PM   #11

I have no idea why, but the big truck stops in the south west run $.50 or so higher than the locals. I think its as stated above, the big truck companies pay a negotiated price and the truck stops don't need private trucks to make their sales goals. In the northwest, most of the larger truck stops are a bit lower than the locals. I have gotten a tank of contaminated fuel before at a local pump. I prefer to buy at a high volume station.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:01 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Truck stop diesel is a bit more expensive - however, I've never seen a 50 cent difference! In situations where I know of a better alternative - I'll take advantage of it - but I won't spend much time and energy looking for non-truck stop "deals" when I'm on the road in unfamiliar territory.

In my book, a "better alternative" is not simply a Gas Buddy report of a lower price. A "better alternative" is not only a lower price, but also a location that I know I can easily fit into and maneuver in. (We're in a 44 foot DP with a toad for a total combined vehicle length of nearly 65 feet.)
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:58 PM   #13

In Texas FJ/Pilot and Loves are normally approx. 30c higher than other stations in the area. In some states like AZ the highway taxes are included at the pump for commercial operators. You need to find "light truck diesel" or go in prior to pumping so the attendant knows your not commercial. As a side note the big name truck stops here in Texas are normally pumping B20 but a Valero or other smaller station is B5. I don't need to spend extra $ on that crap. (@ least in the DFW area).
Old 10-18-2017, 09:04 PM   #14

Arizona Fuel tax

I've read some posts on the FMCA forums indicate that Arizona has a two tier diesel fuel tax. (in 2014) 18 cents/gallon for light cars and trucks and 26 cents for heavies. This means, according to Arizona law, any vehicle having more than two axles, OR any vehicle having a GVW in excess of 26,000 pounds MUST refuel ONLY at those pumps having a sticker affixed to them indicating the tax collected is at 26 cents/gallon. and RVs are NOT EXEMPT. You can get ticketed if you fuel up at the wrong pump.

TbearKline is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel