Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2014, 06:13 AM   #1

Fuel saving device

In the back where the ads are in our motorhome magazine there is an ad for a "fuel saving device". I talked to them and they said if I was getting 5.3 mpg it would increase my unit to 6.2. Anyone heard of or tried this device? Sounds to good to be true??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2014, 06:29 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BUTCH View Post
In the back where the ads are in our motorhome magazine there is an ad for a "fuel saving device". I talked to them and they said if I was getting 5.3 mpg it would increase my unit to 6.2. Anyone heard of or tried this device? Sounds to good to be true??
Well.....it could be something as stupid as a big sticker for your dash that says " drive 58 mph max " !

If you drop from 70+ mph to 60 or less you would probably pickup 0.9 mpg increase ! LOL :-)

Old 02-22-2014, 06:31 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
If it really worked the oil companies would have bought up the product never to see the open market.

Do they offer a money back guarantee if you do not get at least a .5 MPG increase? How long have they been in business?
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:34 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
You will get a lot more posts and thoughts on what you are asking about if you list the device so all will know just what you are talking about.......Your foot on your throttle pedal is the best cost saving device, and you own it already.......
Old 02-22-2014, 07:06 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Your foot on your throttle pedal is the best cost saving device, and you own it already.......
It's actually both pedals. The slower you depress the pedal on the right the better mileage you will get. The less you depress the pedal on the left, the better mileage you will get. The pedal on the left converts energy already expended, burned fuel, into heat to stop the vehicle.
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:29 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi FLYING BUTCH,
What device are you talking about? I've tried quite a few.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:12 AM   #7

It sounds good, but .9mpg over a 500 mile trip is about 14.5 gallons of gas. At $3.20 per gallons (in Washington State) that's about $46.40 in savings. Just drive at under 60 and you will save that without spending any money on gadgets.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:10 AM   #8

fuel saving device

I really wasn't looking for driving instructions?? I asked if anyone had heard of or tried the device. It is called the fuel saving device. Again there is a big ad about it in back of motorhome magazine.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:34 AM   #9

Are you referring to the FuelSmart device?
Fuel Smart Corp. - Welcome!

If so, it is nothing but smoke and mirrors like any other device that is touted as being the next best thing since sliced bread and potato chips. I've seen ads for hydrogen creating devices, water injection devices, magnets, 12v fans hooked to the intakes, etc etc the list goes on and on and on.

The premise behind the fuelsmart device is to gain the ability to drop cylinders while running - supposedly saving fuel. They are trying to mimick Chryslers MDS system - whereby the valve lifters actually are collapsed preventing air from being ingested into the dropped cylinders. The problem is the fuelsmart system can only stop the injector in the cylinder from spraying fuel, and cannot stop air from being ingested. This causes a huge problem with the onboard computer as the exhaust sensors now see a LARGE increase in O2 with no appreciable increase in emissions - so what does the onboard factory computer do? It INCREASES the pulsewidth to the other cylinders that are firing to get the exhaust output back to specs again. Any fuel savings you gained by not firing fuel to a particular cylinder has been lost by the factory onboard computer increasing the fuel rate to the other cylinders at are still being used. This increased fuel flow can wash cylinder walls down causing excessive compression and oil ring wear, and even affect your oil viscosity. If you're not stopping the air from entering the cylinder that you are cancelling then you're still compressing the air in that cylinder - without that cylinder firing you've now added increased load of a dead cylinder compressing to the other cylinders that are working. Common sense tells us that this simply does not work.

Like all of these gadgest and gizmos, this one causes more harm than good. It's nothing more than a nice device to seperate you from $295.00 in your wallet.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:21 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
I was wondering what happened to the fuel that was being pumped into the cylinders......I can see a ton of problems down the road for a vehicle with this thing on board. Kind of like the 100 mph we used to hear about in the 70's if you use the wonder carb....the claims never change just the technology.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:44 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi FLYING BUTCH,
Are you looking in the February or March issue of Motorhome Magazine? Is there a link to the company's web site. One can not Google "the fuel saving device" because the results are not close to finding what you are referring to.

I agree with your comment about those posting their "soap box" answers and not keeping to the question in the OP. iRV2 has too many members who consistently do this. Per my earlier post, I've tried several fuel saving devices. Contrary to the "soap box" posters some of them do work.

I am not able to find what you are referring to. Consider PMing me. I'd like to know if the device you have seen is one that I have tried. Maybe I can answer your question.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:59 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BUTCH View Post
I really wasn't looking for driving instructions?? I asked if anyone had heard of or tried the device. It is called the fuel saving device. Again there is a big ad about it in back of motorhome magazine.
Can you post a link? Or at least which magazine you are looking at ( including month/year and page number)?

2014 Allegro 36LA
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:24 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
jan. issue. page 113

WORKHORSE W-22
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:38 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Hi cannon man,
Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, I've already tossed that issue. Can you provide info. on how to look at the device online? link, company name, anything at all that would help

Tags
fuel