Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2004, 05:11 AM   #1

This is the first winter that we will be able to head to the sunny south for the winter

Our question is this...we are leaving a truck, boat, lawn mowers, and the like behind for the winter. We know we want to put fuel stabelizer in all these engines but don't know if you put the sabelizer in a full tank of fuel or if you can put it in a partial tank....run the engine to spread the stabelizer through out, THEN fill up the tanks with plain fuel.

If we just put the stabelizer in a partial tank (thus being able to use less of the stabelizer) will the fuel that we fill the tanks with be usable in the spring?

We have both gas and diesel(farm tractor) engines that we need to do something about. We plan on being gone about four months.

Thnaks so much for your input!
booboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2004, 05:11 AM   #2

This is the first winter that we will be able to head to the sunny south for the winter

Our question is this...we are leaving a truck, boat, lawn mowers, and the like behind for the winter. We know we want to put fuel stabelizer in all these engines but don't know if you put the sabelizer in a full tank of fuel or if you can put it in a partial tank....run the engine to spread the stabelizer through out, THEN fill up the tanks with plain fuel.

If we just put the stabelizer in a partial tank (thus being able to use less of the stabelizer) will the fuel that we fill the tanks with be usable in the spring?

We have both gas and diesel(farm tractor) engines that we need to do something about. We plan on being gone about four months.

Thnaks so much for your input!
booboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 05:20 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by booboo:
If we just put the stabilizer in a partial tank (thus being able to use less of the stabilizer) will the fuel that we fill the tanks with be usable in the spring? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You are much better off running the Sta-Bil through your engine, filling the tanks and adding additional Sta-Bil to the gasoline itself. Sta-Bil is a gasoline stabilizer and it would be to your benefit to protect the gas in the tanks as well.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 05:20 PM   #4
AKO

Might be of interest:

http://www.cartalk.com/content/colum...cember/09.html

or not.
AKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 05:57 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Anything with a two cycle engine (e.g. an outboard motor) would run dry. Leaving a gas-oil mix in a carburator or injector is a recipe for trouble, with or without stabilizer.

The Petroleum Industry Council says Gasoline will last nicely for at least three months and typically 6 months and they say stabilzers are not needed for that time period. However, adding something like Sta-bil is inexpensive insurance. Run it thorugh the fuel system like Driver suggests.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 04:45 PM   #6

I would make a full mixture and run to make sure is through intire fule system. I dont know what a high concentration of the stuff might do to O rings and gaskets? Scotty.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:09 PM   #7

Fuel has a 60 day shelf life according to automotive websites. Regardless of the usefull life of any pertroleum fuel, when it evaporates it leaves varnish and gummy residue, which can get expensive. I use a stabilizer in everything that will sit for longer periods. I also fill fuel tanks completely full to eliminate dead air space that invites moisture condensation. I add the specified amount of stabilizer for each size fuel tank and them top it off with fuel. I then run the engine about 5 minutes to insure the treated fuel flows through the entire delivery system.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 07:33 PM   #8

....thought the military could get 3 years out of diesel using PowerService Products?....geof
Old 12-17-2004, 07:22 AM   #9

Just be sure you only add as much as the manufacturer recommends....I added a little more..if a little is good, a bunch is better...WRONG....had to drain the tank...

Good wishes from Texas
Old 12-17-2004, 08:48 AM   #10

StaBil...1-Oz treats 2.5-Gal.

One '04 Journey 34' w/350 CAT
Barney B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 01:05 AM   #11

I have Stabil in everything i have all the time it is also a cleaner just do as it says on the bottle......Very good stuff !!

Mike
MICJAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 01:18 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Barney B.:
StaBil...1-Oz treats 2.5-Gal. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's a very good number. I got 2.34375.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 08:01 AM   #13

That ˜cuz you used PI X Bottle Diameter and not PI X Bottle Height. LOL

One '04 Journey 34' w/350 CAT
Barney B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 09:04 AM   #14

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I always put Stabil in my 2 cycle gas can because it takes me a year to use a gallon. I did add it to the boat on the last time out. The boast is gone now one of my happier days. lol I do add it to the lawn mower as it not use much in winter. I also have a push mower with a mower and I just run it out. I have heard that gas is only god for a couple of months without some stabilizer.
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote