RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2019, 11:56 AM   #113

Although this article is quite old now, it was accurate at the time it was composed and written.
Synthetic Lubricants-Aren't??
It was written on fact, no conjecture. Every statement was verified via the embedded links.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2019, 04:16 PM   #114

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Full synthetic is over kill. RVers routinely drive less than 10k a year, plus truckers use standard dino oil for many more miles.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:27 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Sorry but it the Vedio comparison makes sense to me as illustrated, from my own personal experience Iíve left tow trucks outside over night once in a while (Marquette, Michigan gas and diesel over a 35 year time span) in sub zero temperatures and when started the non synthetic hydraulic systems howled and whined until they warmed up some, they did not do this with synthetic hydraulic fluid (aircraft grade) this fluid was substantially more expensive to use but worth every dollar of the higher cost.

Could not really tell the engine difference but the diesels did crank over better and start easier (that did not apply to Cats) I learned not to leave a Cat engine out side overnight without it being plugged in and depend on it starting.
Yes, it does make sense, but it isn't comparing dino to synthetic oil as advertised. It's comparing different oil additive packages. You'd have to use a straight weight oil of the same weight in both categories to get a fair dino vs synthetic comparison. What that video is doing is analogous to comparing Dodge to Chevy by looking at the Viper and Cobalt and calling one the winner. Yes, it's Dodge and Chevy (dino and synthetic), but it still isn't apples to apples. The issue should be obvious to everyone when you consider Dodge and Chevy. It's just much harder to see the problem when it's Dino vs Synthetic, but it's the same problem. It's not a fair comparison as it's performed.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:26 AM   #116

Workhorse Chassis Owner
been reading the posts. IMHO, and seeing the driving habits of most RV's and tow vehicles, synthetic is definitely the way to go. Costs are down for many of the name brand oils to a reasonable price. And, just because it's synthetic doesn't mean under extreme usage as it definitely is in many of the RV's, doesn't mean you can or should be running extended oil change intervals like some do on conventional vehicles. And, the proper viscosity still applies. I will continue my use of synthetic exclusively in the MH's as well as most of my other vehicles but still adhere or close to the recommended oil change intervals. Thinking in years to come the longevity of my engines as well as gears will be the proof. IMHO
SDCOToyhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:38 PM   #117

For what its worth...

I put synthet in my 07 duramax and it sounded like the pistons wanted to change holes !
Added a qt of lucas honey to quiet it down .
Syn not worth the price if you ask me.
Rotella and delo from walmart goes a long way and i do change myself as i can still crawl under truck at 67yo. Wonít trust oil shops to not overtighten the filter, yeah that happens often, last time i wrecked a heavy duty folter wrench and couldnít get it off . S o b
maddczech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:31 PM   #118

I pull my 5th wheel with a 2003 f-350 6.0. I am 70+ and I do not trust any one to change my oil.

I believe in Rotella T6 synthetic oil. I will no pinch pennies for what I paid for this truck I am not worded about the price of the oil.

Jayco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:51 PM   #119

I use syn in everything I own. 10k oil changes or once a year, whichever comes first.

Never have had an oil failure.

I change tranny fluid every 30k.
bmcgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:57 PM   #120

in the days.. big rigs had great warranty extensions if they used only synthetics,,,

some synthetics are not 100% synthesized... like most conventionals have addtive packs that are synthetics .... blah blah... Amsoil uses clever words ,, Synthetic motor oil and 100% Synthetic.. you call it...

Bottom line is use the oil that fits your use and conditions, viscosity, temperature and duty cycle is what it is about..

Like some have said, RV's may only travel 5 to 10K per year.. but that can be deceiving , is that 50 weekends of 100-150 mile trips in mountains, or 2 trips on the east coast ,NY to FL.... I would say the RV and oil has had different stresses and use.....
Same oil, Maybe, maybe not...

I use good synthetics, I may change oil specs, mid year when hauling trailer and running the hills in 80-95 temps...
I have one 460 ford with almost 200K, that has been run hard, towing 4-7k 605 of its life,, Original Trans also ,,only Syn ATf changed yearly or 15K max..
MY ford triton, has over 200K.. only synthetics, did trans at 180 do to a crack in a ring gear...clutchs had wear but the smoke was still inside...LOL

I do change oil more than required and adjust for temps.. 5w40 cold weather <30... 15/40 mostly or 20/50-15/60 in high heat towing..
I monitor coolant and trans temps..coolant has run 230-240 many times on grades for 15-20min at a time.. Trans never gone past 190...(isolated coolers).. No issues

905 of all of you can just do best by changing oil frequently and good service..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:50 PM   #121

Someone, anyone, show me proof of an oil related failure.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:18 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
I worked repairing heavy equipment for 35 years and never ran across a oil related failure, unless it leaked out.

Some of that time was before synthetic oil was around.

All of our equipment, including our biggest Cat, C27, 1000 HP, yard waste grinders used standard, state bid oil.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:56 AM   #123

Tons of oil related failures! People who don't change theirs.

No really, there are some modern engines very sensitive to oil viscosities and some even now where not using a quality synthetic will causes issues. So using the "wrong" oil can be a problems. But still we can't blame the oils themselves.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:58 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post

If you want to see oil related engine failures, just go to the right place like a local auto salvage yard. There is big business selling motors out of late model wrecked cars for engine replacements.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:24 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
If you want to see oil related engine failures, just go to the right place like a local auto salvage yard. There is big business selling motors out of late model wrecked cars for engine replacements.
I'll bet most engine replacements are due to serious overheating, due to coolant leaks, warping the head and block.

Your claim offers no evidence of oil related failure being the reason for engine replacements.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:47 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I'll bet most engine replacements are due to serious overheating, due to coolant leaks, warping the head and block.

Your claim offers no evidence of oil related failure being the reason for engine replacements.

I wasn't trying to support any claims, just pointing out where to see engine failures which might be oil related. It made a great field trip destination for auto engineers.

grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote