RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2019, 08:15 PM   #1

Full synthetic oil

I always use full synthetic oil. I even took a course on oil in 1978. So I thought I knew what I was talking about. Last year I was talking to an Amsoil rep about oil and he told me that full synthetic and synthetic blend is the same thing. I told him he was full of it. Well, I'm here to tell you that he was right and I was wrong. It seems that one of the manufacturers of oil took the federal government to court and got synthetic oil reclassified. according to my search there are only 2 companies out there that sell REAL full synthetic oil. Amsoil is one of them. I forgot the other one. look it up. If you need to buy Amsoil let me know I have a distributor that sells it wholesale. especially if you are willing to pick it up. I am not a distributor and I do not make any money on this.

I posted this just for information

sflabrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2019, 08:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflabrkr View Post
I always use full synthetic oil. I even took a course on oil in 1978. So I thought I knew what I was talking about. Last year I was talking to an Amsoil rep about oil and he told me that full synthetic and synthetic blend is the same thing. I told him he was full of it. Well, I'm here to tell you that he was right and I was wrong. It seems that one of the manufacturers of oil took the federal government to court and got synthetic oil reclassified. according to my search there are only 2 companies out there that sell REAL full synthetic oil. Amsoil is one of them. I forgot the other one. look it up. If you need to buy Amsoil let me know I have a distributor that sells it wholesale. especially if you are willing to pick it up. I am not a distributor and I do not make any money on this.

I posted this just for information
Schaeffer

rvingchub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:28 PM   #3

sflabrkr

Sure.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:35 PM   #4

Unhappy

I heard the same thing, Mobil 1 paid to keep their oil classified as full synthetic even though it's dyno based. It broke my heart and infuriated me since I'd been using it for years in my motorcycles. I'd known/believed for years that semi syn was a scam because oil is no stronger than its weakest link.

2018 - 38,295 miles (153% Earth's circumference ), April 15th - Nov. 15th, 47 states including Alaska, 9 Canadian provinces and 2 Territories.
CIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 01:05 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Well, real synthetics are PAO or Esters.. and they can either be full or partial combinations of crude base stocks with the manufactured hydrocarbons. But, its your $

https://www.google.com/search?q=pao+...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 01-26-2019, 01:17 PM   #6

I have used the shell t6 for years
featherlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:50 PM   #7

You guys are confusing a couple of issues. Mobil 1 is synthetic. It's NOT dino oil, It's PAO. It has a small amount of dino oil in it, which they disclose, not sure why.

The OTHER manufacturers lobbied to classify dino oil that has been catalyzed into longer chains as synthetic. That's Valvoline, Quaker State, Pennzoil, Castrol. The process joins short chains into longer ones, but it's not synthetic by any scientific definition, more getting a court to decide on a legal one.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:52 PM   #8

Learn something every day. Thanks.
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 03:42 PM   #9

What practical difference does it make?
Old 01-26-2019, 04:53 PM   #10

About 15 years ago, among 3 departments we were running a mix of dino in some cars, and Amsoil in others and a few with Ford semi-syn. Seems like with one lab the dino performed as well as the Amsoil, if we put it down as Amsoil and Amsoil performed like the dino if the sample said dino. In the end, we couldn't justify the price of Syn over others in a 3K oil change for patrol cars and the admin cars went 5k.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:05 PM   #11

A distinction without a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
What practical difference does it make?
Performance metrics are all that matter. Doesn't matter whether the molecules came from a dead lizard or a beaker.

It probably matters more whether a product is sold via multi level marketing or not.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:35 PM   #12

Synthetic oils burn at a much higher temperature and don't require as much as an additive package to increase viscosity range, wear resistance, etc.

They have a wider viscosity range. show me a 0W40 dino oil.....

higher temps/less additives means the oil performs longer and doesn't get as dirty.

20% of dino oil is detergent to keep the dirt in suspension. The detergent burns at low temp, chichis one of the reasons your oil turns black, and a quart of it is gone at 5000mi.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
About 15 years ago, among 3 departments we were running a mix of dino in some cars, and Amsoil in others and a few with Ford semi-syn. Seems like with one lab the dino performed as well as the Amsoil, if we put it down as Amsoil and Amsoil performed like the dino if the sample said dino. In the end, we couldn't justify the price of Syn over others in a 3K oil change for patrol cars and the admin cars went 5k.

Agreed,
Unless the vehicle is operating under extreme conditions like unheated cold starts, high loads for extended periods, extended oil drains etc, there is no good reason to put out the extra money for synthetic oil. Most RVs get an annual oil change with under 10K miles operating under mild conditions. Synthetic is a waste of money.
But, if it makes you feel good, go for it.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:09 PM   #14

While "full" synthetic, whether oil based or PAO or ester, may be marginally "better" for your engine, you are likely NEVER going to recover the additional cost.

After many, many years of being a synthetic oil snob, I have decided that "oil is oil" as long as it meets the manufacturers requirements in the Owner's Manual.

theoldwizard is offline   Reply With Quote