Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
Country Coach Owners Club

Ready to go full time rving. Now the big questions? Ready to sell everything, so the question is where to buy my coach for taxes. I'll have no address as yet, so the next thing is plates and ins.? I have a 1992 Country Coach Affinity 40ft. And I live in Michigan and they think that I have a lot of money because plates are 1200 dollars. I'm retired and need to save my money whenever possible. Any suggestion?

sanrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Gonna have some type of tax or tag cost every place. Overall taxes ... you can find several threads on here, but most would say FL, TX or South Dakota. Sales tax seems to run 3.5 - 6% or higher. Beyond that, use the search function on the site and you'll find lots of views WRT full timing and taxes.

Dave and Beth
2015 Cornerstone 45J
Ford F-150 and 2016 Polaris Razor
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Put the computer to work on Escapees and Americas Mailbox. Good places to start.
Steve & Annie (RVM2)
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38F ~ 325 ISB Turbo ~ Freightliner XC 2014 CR-V ~ Invisibrake / Sterling All Terrain
Sioux Falls, SD (FullTime Since Nov 5th 2014)
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
As a full-timer who has not established residency in a new, tax-free state nor have you yet purchased your RV, you might want to consider the benefits of purchasing it via a Montana LLC. Montana has no registration tax for vehicles and RVs older than 10 yrs have permanent plates. There are several reputable companies in MT that will do the necessary paperwork for you and will handle your annual renewals for other vehicles you may own.

Although this topic usually evokes contentious discussion on these forums, it is totally legal as long as you abide by the laws of the state in which you declare your domicile. People, other than full-timers, who try to use this approach to reduce their costs usually get in trouble because they keep the RV in their home state in excess of the statutory limits. Full timers who spend little time in their domicile states (South Dakota, for example), can abide by that state's laws without much difficulty.
Sandie & Joel (RVParkReviews admin)
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
Follow us at http://www.facebook.com/WeissTravels.net
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've got some exciting times ahead.

I'm not sure I understand when you say that the question is where to buy your coach for taxes but then say you already have a CC Affinity and how much the state wants for registration.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
The question isn't so much where to buy the coach as it is where to register the coach and establish residency. You can buy the coach anywhere. You'll pay sales tax in the state where you register it.

We came from MA, purchased our coach in TX and registered it in SD. Of course we also established residency in SD too.

Look specifically at Full-timer Insurance. Remember, once your home is sold you will no longer have homeowners insurance which normally includes your personal property insurance and personal liability insurance.

Previous suggestions to look at Escapees Club and Americas Mailbox are good advice. We are members of both. There are also a number of other mail forwarding services in SD that will help you establish residency there. Our insurance company is Blue Sky. There are quite a few others who provide full-timer insurance also. Searches here and on the Escapees forum will result in a treasure trove of information.

Good Luck
Craig & Donna
2005 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV (aka The Hotel Monterey)
2011 Jeep Liberty Limited
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:46 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Craig is correct. We too decided on S.D. for residency. We recently purchased a new truck while in TX and registered in SD. Our mail forwarding service (Alternative REsources) was very helpful assisting me fill out the paperwork and then taking it to SD Motor Vehicle. Also, you will want Full-timers insurance coverage on your coach as you will no longer have a homeowners policy. I also have a $2M blanket liability policy.
John, Joyce & Libby the Yellow Lab. - Fulltime since `08

2005 Kountry Star FW-35LKSA by Newmar
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
what craig said too....

But be very careful. The Montana LLC thing seems a cool idea, we did it, the state where we really do live took some exception, and the end result was simply a 1 year delay in the payment of sales taxes...

Establish residency first. Sell your property in michigan, get a drivers license in your new residence state, register to vote. hit the road in the motorhome you own today, break all ties with Michigan, and then and only then go tradein for a cooler bus.

From what the "revenuer" told me, Florida emailed him all about my new motorhome before my bumpers entered Alabama...
And the revenuers in Illinois gave no shi!s about my montana plates... if it was parked in illinois for 30 days, I owed them 6.5 %.

Be careful, it's dangerous out there.....
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:27 AM   #9
Country Coach Owners Club
Thanks so much for the informaton. Yes, i do own a coach already but we are going to sell our home in Michigan and go full time. Also ready to upgrade to bigger, newer and slides. We have friends that do it full time and they are ready for us to follow. They are also ready to upgrade and they talked about this LLC in Montana. They are self employed and can do their business with their laptop. So we'll have no resident come spring and we'll have our choice of states to choose from. If there is anything else i should know please put your 5 cents in and thanks so much. Russ& Sandy P.S. Yes I do want everything to be up and up. Legal,legal absolutely!

sanrus is offline   Reply With Quote