Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2015, 07:16 PM   #15

Most places you are able to buy straw bales for a pretty decent price. Stuff those all around your motor home and use fiberglass batting around the tires and you have a really good winter skirt. Then in the spring donate the bales to the campground for their grounds keeping. I think you'll be toasty warm! Pay attention to the Nothermarks comment regarding a dehumidifier!!!! An absolute must unless you want water to start dripping from the overhead and down off of the windows (yes, even good dual pane windows). Your heating costs per square foot will still be WAY over a well insulated brick and mortar, but since you are talking at most 300+ square feet, they should be manageable. Also, most RVs that have heated tanks only do so for the grey and black tanks, NOT the fresh water tank, go figure, so a supplemental heater in the storage bays will probably be in order.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2015, 07:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVingDutchman View Post
Many remarks have been made one of which is that you should stay in Ft. Collins so you could get away with out "Skirting" ............. Let me Impress this upon you
You Can Not Get Away Without Skirting and Expect to Be Comfortable Under Any Circumstance!!!!!!!! Period...

That is a fact. If the wind can whistle under your unit you Will be cold and your tanks Will Freeze and you Will have a heck of a time keeping things from getting worse and worse!
The Belly is the weak spot on men, beast and RV's!
OK now I'm getting Dramatic but it's true don't be fooled, that's where all your tanks and liquids are, that's where the pump is that's where the Batteries are (they get cold they loose power fast!) In many units there's the weak spots in insulation. with a little bit of research skirting can be done for little money effectively and safely.
Just don't do it without!

Best Regards,

Ed
Ed, thanks for your advice! I am definitely looking at different types of skirting options, just to be careful. I would rather spend a little money on a skirt then deal with frozen / broken / etc pipes, tanks, and other devices. I also plan to insulate any pipes I see and get heaters for the tank areas. Like Jim2 said, Fort Collins gets cold but stays generally nice in the winter so as long as I am generally prepared I should be fine.

Thanks again for your comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
It all depends on the conditions of each specific area. In areas where the overnight lows near 0 F or worse and the winds regularly blow over 20 MPH, I would agree with you. But Ft Collins Co lows in the 3 coldest winter months are only 18-20 F on avg and the winds rarely blow over 10 MPH. I've spent many winters in those conditions with no skirting and no frozen pipes or tanks. In my experience its just as important how much it warms up during the day. If it stays at 20 F all day and all night, you're in for a rough time. But in Ft Collins its typical to be 50 F and sunny during many of the the days, even in the middle of winter.
I will probably end up skirting anyways just to help prevent any hassles. Even though it stays generally warm and the wind doesn't blow crazy all the time, we definitely have cold nights and random crazy wind storms. I would rather be over prepared than under prepared. I think the cost of a skirt is well worth it if it helps prevent things from breaking, freezing, and needing replaced.

I am definitely staying in fort Collins for the winter and have decided the mountains aren't a good idea for a whole season.

Cheers!
Old 07-24-2015, 07:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Most places you are able to buy straw bales for a pretty decent price. Stuff those all around your motor home and use fiberglass batting around the tires and you have a really good winter skirt. Then in the spring donate the bales to the campground for their grounds keeping. I think you'll be toasty warm! Pay attention to the Nothermarks comment regarding a dehumidifier!!!! An absolute must unless you want water to start dripping from the overhead and down off of the windows (yes, even good dual pane windows). Your heating costs per square foot will still be WAY over a well insulated brick and mortar, but since you are talking at most 300+ square feet, they should be manageable. Also, most RVs that have heated tanks only do so for the grey and black tanks, NOT the fresh water tank, go figure, so a supplemental heater in the storage bays will probably be in order.
Aw didn't think about straw bales! Thanks for all your advice I will definitely be getting a heater for my fresh water and other tanks if they need it.

Happy travels!
Old 07-26-2015, 10:14 PM   #18

If your parking space allows you to use straw bales pick ups a good supply of mouse traps, too. They love the bales!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:18 AM   #19

I would also make sure my fire extinguishers are in good shape.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:33 PM   #20

Yeah I think I'm going to stick with Styrofoam, seems to be the cheapest and easiest way to make a skirt and its easily removal and replace able if damaged and doesn't bring mice ha

Tags
full time, motorhome, winter