Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2014, 06:16 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
Toss some Bounce dryer sheets down there. They hate those.
X's2 2nd year useing only those, no mice

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2014, 06:33 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post

I used to use D-Con in the barn. The stuff was disappearing like crazy. Then one warm spring day when I was pressure washing the tractor hand full after hand full of that stuff came out from under the tractor. I think the the mice were storing it for next winter.
Obviously, they were preparing for a mass suicide!

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 01-17-2014, 07:08 PM   #17
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Does anyone know if dogs are bothered by those electronic repellant devices? I think I'd rather have mice than drive Lily any crazier than she already is now.

Thanks for all the replies, even the funny ones. I didn't hear mice last night, so I'm hoping they'll give us a break until the arsenal I ordered arrives. Peppermint Oil, Cab Fresh and oversized Scotch Brite type pads are on their way from Amazon. I'll see if I can find pool noodles, too. They make sense for blocking the sewer bay entry -- round peg in round hole.

Il'll update, hopefully with success, next week.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:11 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
For covering the hole get a piece of plastic or plywood and drill a hole in it the diameter of the hose end. Put the hose through and then use steel wool to fill the small gap. Set the wood over the 4' hole and weight it down or put a couple of screws in it to hold it down.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:13 PM   #19
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
For covering the hole get a piece of plastic or plywood and drill a hole in it the diameter of the hose end. Put the hose through and then use steel wool to fill the small gap. Set the wood over the 4' hole and weight it down or put a couple of screws in it to hold it down.
That's my plan, but I'm going to put a layer of Scotch Brite on the bottom to discourage chewing. I think it may be a ground squirrel. We spotted one that day and the flower bed next to us is full of their tunnels. Mice I can kill, but other critters get a chance to get deterred first. It seems odd that mice would just now be finding us. We haven't moved since October.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:06 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Does anyone know if dogs are bothered by those electronic repellant devices? I think I'd rather have mice than drive Lily any crazier than she already is now....
Sandee swore she could hear it when we first put one in the coach. Gunny and Thor didn't complain. LOL That being said, I think they do a better job in the basement anyway. That would be especially true if you can locate them near the water and power bays since those are 2 of the places mice can crawl up cords and pipes to get into the RV in the first place.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:35 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Here is a recent article written about preventing mice in RV's using Irish Spring Soap.

RV Maintenance Tips: Dirty RV mice don't like soap, says motorhome owner.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-18-2014, 10:16 AM   #22

We live in a rural wooded area and for years, I have been a big fan of Old Fashioned type moths to keep mice out of our MH and some old Chevies we store for the winter. Not 100% effective but close. Some Corvette friends convinced us we should use Irish Spring Soap slices instead. Less work getting rid of the smell in the spring. Well we have had more mice in the MH this year than the last 10 years combined. Even had mouse droppings all over some of the Irish Spring Soap pieces.

Have resorted to plastic snap traps using the Tomcat brand of attractant. I believe I have them back under control as nothing in the traps for the last couple days.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:44 AM   #23
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
What about the motor? Should I do anything to protect it? Remember we are living in the MH this winter.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Barb, I only have 1 winter of experience and didn't live in it, but last winter, I unhooked the doghouse and stuck cotton balls with peppermint oil on them around under the doghouse part as well as inside in drawers and the empty cabinets... Our Honey had mice chew the wiring prior to us owning it and had to have that repaired....I certainly would not use a poison with a curious hungry pet aboard... a but perhaps if you got the dog a pet too.... in the form of a cat.....LOL! Naw, you have your hands full.... but maybe you could borrow a cat for a few days to keep in the barn area. Would Sena tolerate that?
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:31 AM   #25
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There's a house cat where we're staying. Sena and Lily will gang up to torment poor Safari and trap her under the coffee table. So a cat's not going to work.

The peppermint oil sounds like a better plan. But what happens if I forget to remove one before driving? A sweet smell, or a fire? YIKES! I'd better take pictures of where I placed them.

Thanks, Marty!
Old 01-18-2014, 01:13 PM   #26

full time/mice

We have a dog any friends come over with their pets and no problems. I swear by these electronic devices and they will keep vermin away from the exterior as well as like I said I have seen squirrels come toward the unit and stop, turn around and run. The folks next to us were gone for three weeks and when they returned there was evidence of mice so they now use these devices and no problems since. Good luck!!
Old 01-18-2014, 04:23 PM   #27
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm pretty sure it's not mice.

This morning I opened my undies drawer and found almost a pound of pecan halves stashed in the back. The pecans were stored in a cabinet on the other side of our coach. That doesn't seem like mice behavior plus I can find no feces or detect the smell of mouse urine anywhere.

I'm relatively sure it's ground squirrels now. I've removed the sewer line hose and sealed that entry. I also stuffed a Brillo pad around the power cord entry plate that already closes to about half an inch larger than the cord.

Most of what I can find online deals with ground squirrels in the yard and garden, so if anyone has any experience with keeping them out, I'm anxious to hear from you.

I'm going to order an electronic repellant to set under the coach since we are on concrete. Hopefully one will keep them away from any entry spots I've missed and the engine compartment.

The saga continues.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:32 PM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I have always used D-Con poison. It works 100% of time and I have never had to remove dead bodies from my coach.
Once they eat the D-Con, they seek out water which is not readily available unless they choose to chew through a HD fresh water tank, unlikely!
They wither up and die outside the coach.
DITTO -
Also you could lock a cat inside the basement.

Tags
full time