Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2016, 06:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
That's not full-timing. That's living in a trailer park.
Except for the fact it's an rv campground that is open year round, not a mobile home park. There's a difference and full timers according to a few rv magazines come in two flavors: movers and parkers. In either example, one lives their life in either a travel trailer or motor home.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2016, 07:22 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We never considered full timing. We do however escape the central NY torturous winters and head south in our MH. The weather basically sucks in CNY for more than half the year so we are gone more than at the sticks and bricks.

I have to say that after 6+ months in the MH we are more than ready to get back to the house. I would suggest to anyone thinking of full timing that before going all or nothing, try an extended stay in your MH and keep the house if you can afford both.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:30 AM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If we went full time it would be in a sailboat not an RV, however we have six grandkids who live close by and are deeply involved in our community. There is no way I am going to pry my wife away from those grandkids and I find them pretty fun too so I guess full timing isn't in the cards for us. The sea still calls...
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:02 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Went full time in end of 2001, traveled north America. 2008 wife decided to enroll daughter in highschool. Got board so I built a house to live in out in the middle of the Mohave desert. Took me 3 years, I work slow, built it out of steel rather than stucco and wood.

I found that most cites are the same, a series of different "quality" strip malls with suburban housing surrounding a central downtown. There are always a few exceptions, but not many on this continent. After a couple of years I found myself avoiding the cities to see the rural areas and meeting the rural folks. Now I often wonder why so many folks live in such tiny expensive areas and don't like to talk to each other. (cities) I discovered that cities only want you to visit them if you stay in their over priced hotels and eat in their expensive restaurants. Should you park on one of their highly prized gilded streets to go for a walk to tour the city, you can expect serious repercussions. Now I just avoid them. I was really disappointed with all the concrete condo's along the Atlantic coast that limits ones access to the beach, it is ugly. It did help me understand why Cali limited their beach construction. In the beginning I stayed in RV parks, later I boondocked a majority of the time. I only stayed in parks when I couldn't find dump sites.

I full timed to see this great country and continent that we live in and on. I drove 120k miles. Saw many great things, many amazing things, many sad things but most of all met many amazing different people. (except in the unfriendly cities)

I still have my coach and travel every chance I get, usually 4 to 6 months a year.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:03 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
I could definitely full time it if I had enough wifi. My hubby is a Boilermaker who does the majority of his work on coal fired power plants in the Spring and Fall. Travel has become a must for us. I have been living in my '07 Allegro Bay since March 3. We started at St. Mary's Willow Island, WV and he is currently working the outage at Fort Martin, WV outside Morgantown. Two RV campgrounds that have been privately owned. No wifi or other camp amenities. Over the air TV signals have been fine. However, the iPhone hot spot has served well and my xfinity bundle has forwarded all house calls to my cell and most people still think I'm at home. I don't miss the house, but I miss my horses. We have talked and we will probably do 6months home and 6 months on the road (broken into 3-3-3-3). Hubby is attached to the house, second marriage, his house and I could take it or leave it. The RV is OURS! 😃

No matter where you go, there you are.- Buckaroo Bonsai -RV Forum
Old 05-06-2016, 11:07 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was told this past summer by a fellow fulltimer that there are two types of fulltimers. There are sitters and there are travelers. After two years of drifting toward the sitter side it is time to get back into the traveler mode. It is tough when you have your favorits summer and winter places.

The last estimate I heard was there were 1.2 to 1.3 million people that are considered fulltime rv'er. Realizing it is on .33 % of the population probably explains why we don't have more representation.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:04 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
I found that most cites are the same, a series of different "quality" strip malls with suburban housing surrounding a central downtown. There are always a few exceptions, but not many on this continent.
True. That is one point against full timing. The USA has become homogeneous in many respects. I've drove cross country several times and traveled around the world. In many respects the the same thing has happened to the world also.

Another point against full timing is that there is a lot of 'nothing' in between the something. The Great Plains states from Canada to Amarillo is an example. There are other areas - the rust belt area between Chicago and Albany NY.

Now the USA does have some great outdoors - National Parks and mountain ranges.

I'm wrestling with the full timing question. I'm in my RV between 4-6 months a year now. I would get a new one if I went full time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
Now I often wonder why so many folks live in such tiny expensive areas and don't like to talk to each other. (cities)
That is where the jobs are.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:27 PM   #22

Fulltime or Not Fulltime? That is the question.

Hi Kalen!
We chose fulltiming over 40 years ago, and finally got to do it 4 years ago. It's nice to be "home" every night, and our cash flow rose very nicely!
We will do this until we cannot, or change our minds.
The stuff that may never touch our hands again is a nifty byproduct: real estate tax bill, snow shovel, lawnmower, paint brush.....
Cities are not our focus, towns and villages and areas of nothing are prefered.
Fulltime adventure is our mode. Finding obscure treasures of unique stuff is one goal. Trying to stave off the terrible itch to move is not. Sometimes moving just to change our outdoor wallpaper is not uncommon.
May the Journey also be Your Destination!

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:51 PM   #23

The vast majority of RV'ers always have been and always will be part timers. The number of fulltimers in the US hovers around 400,000 depending on how you define it (with or without non-traveling fulltimers). There is a constant flow of folks leaving and entering the fulltimer group. Most start fulltiming as a short term lifestyle change and don't intend to stay with it more than a few years (some change their mind after starting out and go longer or shorter than originally planned). Others start fulltiming with the intention to stay at it as long as they're able. Still others get into fulltime RV living for economic reasons, and after they can't afford to travel any more, they park it and use it as cheap housing.
I retired early, at 60, and as planned, I was a homeless & jobless fulltime RV'er the day after retirement. I thoroughly enjoyed it for 4 years, but after I had seen all the places I wanted to visit at least twice and my travels slowed down, I wasn't enjoying just living in RV parks for extended stays. I bought a summer home and a winter home and still travel year round in my RV, just not fulltime.
Its like any other alternate lifestyle choice, we all have different reasons for starting & stopping it; some voluntary, some dictated by finances, family or health issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalen Vavla View Post
I could use some perspective. 5 years ago we jumped straight into fulltime. We bought an RV, moved into it, sold the house, and drove away. My parents had done the same thing, about 10 years earlier, so I thought that was normal. I am noticing now that the majority of RV owners are part time. All these years my belief had been that every RV owner dreams of being fulltime. Am I wrong? If you’re not fulltime, do you want to be? What is stopping you? If you are fulltime, how did you make the transition?
Old 05-06-2016, 02:01 PM   #24

We plan on selling our home and living in the coach for a year or so while we travel the country looking for a new place to purchase for a S and B home. I like to have a home base yet be able to get in the coach and travel for as long as I want. This wont be taking place for at least another 2 years and during that time we keep looking to see where we want to start looking. One thing we do know, it isn't anywhere in SoCal.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:34 AM   #25

I work, she's retired. We sold all and hit the road, then I was offered a job that pays decent, allows us to be in an area for 4-8 weeks at a time, and generally follows the snowbird rules- south in winter, north in summer.
Been "working" on the road for 18 months, been fulltime for 4 years.
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 02:33 PM   #26
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We plan to lease our home for a year, fully furnished, and travel around the USA. These plans have been delayed due to medical problems, but we hope to get away by the end of this year!

Our original plan was, that if we're still happy fulltiming at the end of the year, we would come back, sell the house and everything in it, and keep on truckin! Now we're thinking that if we have good luck (and few problems) leasing the house, that we may continue to do that!

We plan to stay two weeks to a month in each location, visiting all the places that interest us in the area before moving on. This will remain flexible. When the mood hits, we'll move on!

Since we will still have our home to come back to, we don't have any reservations about trying this for a year!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:28 PM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We love traveling, but we never even considered full-timing. We are active in our community, have good friends here, and we have "toys" that we enjoy and are not willing to give up. We did move farther West, looking toward retirement, and we bought a smaller house that is pretty low maintenance. We deliberately bought in a family neighborhood that will provide house sitters and lawn cutters for many years. We intend on traveling at least a week a month, and many months we have 2-3 week trips. For us it is the right mix.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:22 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalen Vavla View Post
I could use some perspective. 5 years ago we jumped straight into fulltime. We bought an RV, moved into it, sold the house, and drove away. My parents had done the same thing, about 10 years earlier, so I thought that was normal. I am noticing now that the majority of RV owners are part time. All these years my belief had been that every RV owner dreams of being fulltime. Am I wrong? If you’re not fulltime, do you want to be? What is stopping you? If you are fulltime, how did you make the transition?
We have been FT for 3 years. The first 6 months we were selling the house and preparing for retirement. The transition went as well as we could have hoped for. By the time we retired we divested out of nearly everything that wouldn't fit in the MY except for a small collection of items we are keeping with family.

It has been an exciting time since then. We don't work camp and don't anticipate we will but that could change under the right conditions. So far we have spent 4-5 months during the winter in warm places in both TX and FL. We had also planed to spend 2-3 months back "home" in central IL with family but the first summer we spent over 5 months helping Sandee's family work through the passing of her mom.

We had envisioned more travel time but we have found that being stationary for a couple months at a time isn't all bad either. However, we have a massive amount of miles planned from July through early October if unplanned events don't intervene.

In the end, we are very happy with our choice and how we have learned to adapt to situations as they present themselves.

Tags
fulltime