Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2019, 03:21 PM   #15

Its probably more I am on vacation mode (everything is good) than rudeness mode. But I was nt there.
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2019, 06:24 PM   #16

Don't see myself trying to full time, but never say never. I live in a nice lake area with a mountain vacation home 2 hours away and now have a motorhome. I will not have enough time in my life to do everything I would like to do. Coming home is great, even though I tend to get back into a work mode, and I am retired. Just going to the mountains is great to disconnect from home responsibilities. Motorhome is the same new places with no responsibilities. I think I am connected to to many people here to full time, and my home base is here to keep up the motorhome.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:46 PM   #17

Full timing is just another lifestyle with it's up's and down's, pro's and con's just like any other chosen lifestyle.
We lived in a S&B house for our first 55 years of life and after full timing for 10-15 years, we plan to go back into another S&B house or a condo. Full timing will just be another chapter in our lives to experience volunteering across the US.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MapIA.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	235861  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:22 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I really envy those that leave it all and go full timing. I just couldn't do it. We love RVing and get out about 20 weeks a year, but part of what I enjoy doing is seeing our grandkids regularly and working on projects around the house and the RV. I couldn't give up my garage and tools.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:47 AM   #19

We travel about 3 to 4 months a year for the past 4 years (40,000+ miles), stayed in over 100 parks--East Coast to West Coast, and never had a bad experience (with campers or staff), even though some of the parks and facilities were not repeat stops. I guess we have been extremely lucky.

With that said, NO PLACE LIKE HOME----No full timing!!! We love traveling, meeting people, ect, however, DW wants the security and convenience of a permanent residence and the ancillary benefits.
3XACHRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:06 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltam View Post
Thought we would give it a try. Got caught up in the romantic appeal of the open road, broad horizons, new experiences, etc.

Problems are noisy campgrounds, rude neighbors that have dogs in portable lots and dog droppings. It seems nowhere we have stayed on the east coast people want to monitor their kids. One 5 year old last summer enjoyed throwing rocks at our camper.

Another campground had good online pictures but in reality had multiple campers that were in such bad shape they could not possibly be moved. Kids and dogs running loose. Suspected they were rented. Campground had one nice section of 6 campsites, with 30 or so 30 amp only no sewer. Didn't look like any maintenance in 30-40 years. It seems like no one wants to give a place a review less than 3.

Joined a government park chain. Had to register online. Some people reserved every Saturday for the whole season. There was a 1 week notice cancellation policy. They could wait until one week out and cancel with no penalty if they decided not to show.
How long did you full time? I was curious as to how many bad experiences versus good? Was it every place you went, and how long have you been camping before you decided to go full time or was it something like you never went camping before and decided one day to sell everything and buy a MH because on TV it looks so good?

Not trying to be rude just curious. We have been camping for years with our kids and when we do retire we will be going on 6 to 18 week trips but will always have our SB. To come home to. We have met some great people in out short adventures, even have a family that we meet every year over Memorial day weekend to re visit with. We have also met some very interesting.... people as well, but what's great about having a MH if I have a bad neighbor I check to see how long they are staying for and decided if I want to wait it out or I request a new spot or I just leave and get a different campground, but that is very rare. The travel and adventure is there and there are all sorts of interesting folks out in the world and that's ok the house can move.... if your one of those types that holler at the kids to get off your lawn then camping is not for you. Sorry if I offended anyone but part of camping in my opinion is also meeting some of the good people who share the same interests of traveling and camping.
nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:26 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
You definitely got the wrong impression. I think the first mistake was getting into RVing for all the wrong reasons. Second mistake is places you stayed. Before you give up come west. There are hundreds of really nice campgrounds out west. Places where people are friendly and respectful. I have noticed the last 5 years or so parks have gotten crowded. Which does presents problems.
BTW I have never heard of a government park chain? Please give us a name.

I agree with the above. In addition I want to emphasize the fact that the OP's experience would be far different in the west. I have been fulltiming for 4+ years and while I do run in to the odd irritating neighbor here and there most parks are good about solving the problem right away. I have noted that the parks in the east seem to be more crowded, more kids, more bad behaviour in general than those in the west.
BTFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:36 AM   #22

Wife and I used to think that fulltiming was something we wanted to do. It sounded great to just be able to see and explore our Great USA one campsite at a time and at our leisure. But that awesome idea faded away as more people got into the mix. Like the OP, we've encountered more and more rude, loud, and obnoxious people in our travels. The advent of exterior TVs and stereos have also help to make nice quiet getaways a thing of the past.

Please don't tell me we camp for the wrong reasons. Been doing it over 50 years. There's nothing wrong at all for us to want to have a pleasant trip without encountering a bunch of beer drinking foul mouthed jerks partying next door.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:48 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Full timing is not for us either, but not entirely for the reasons the OP stated. We need roots, a place to come home to. We would like to take extended trips- 2-3 months but at the end it is nice to come home.
We're still trying to decide where to go when my wife retires, and how it will all fit together.
For now, we take 2 week trips in the off/shoulder seasons and leave the summer to the families. Occasionally we'll do a summer mid-week trip for a few days but we avoid summer weekends like the plague.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:56 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I couldn't give up my garage and tools.
Yup, I am with DSD. Never tried much extended RVing though. At this point, no way would the DW be interested.

DSD, maybe we have to pull our full shop in a stacker behind us?
Old 02-24-2019, 07:57 AM   #25

I love the hit and run posts. OP makes statement and never returns to address feedback.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:04 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Yung2 Quit View Post
I love the hit and run posts. OP makes statement and never returns to address feedback.
The OP posted less than 24 hours ago. I admit that I'm on here quite a bit but I'd bet most people who post have better things to do than just sit and monitor this website. Give it a chance,, they'll probably check back sooner or later.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:21 AM   #27

It’s not for everyone that’s for sure , but we’ve been fulltiming for almost 2 years & really haven’t run into much of the issues the OP is talking about .
We are workampers , do we stay in one place for several months at a time , this is both good & bad at the same time .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:21 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
I don’t think fulltiming is in our future. That’s too many hours in close quarters with the spousal unit. Two depart, only one returns.

J/K. Love you, sweetheart! (In case she reads this)
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote