Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2016, 08:48 AM   #1

Fully draining battery when dry camping

Looking to do some pseudo-dry camping (generator allowed during day).

My TT came with a standard battery and I am looking to invest in a new deep cycle battery (or batteries).

My questions is: If I am using the batteries at night and have a fan running, what happens when the battery is drained of all power but the fan (or fridge) is still trying to pull a load?

I have heard that fully draining a battery kills it, how do I avoid this?

Thank you!
Smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2016, 08:52 AM   #2

We don't ever totally drain the batteries.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:54 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
First, the obvious, everything quits.

Second...you will toast your battery. Discharging a battery below 50% is not good. The more often and the deeper you do it, the faster you have a very expensive, heavy paper weight.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:01 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
OH...to the second part of your question.

The first thing to do is take stock of your overnight electrical needs. There are various ways to measure your needs and some folks more informed on these methods will probably chip in. Once you do that you can start planning for your needs to store and recharge power in your battery(s).

If you are planning to rely on solar power you will need to consider total storage to give you that overnight buffer and to also work through days where solar light is not as strong. You could also opt to use a generator both to charge batteries as needed and to automatically start if your battery charge goes below 50%. Finding a good generator that doesn't upset the neighbors is really important if you plan to be in close proximity to other campers.

Good luck! I'm sure you will find there are some very good answers to your issues for folks a little more versed in dry camping than I am.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:07 AM   #5

batterys

as the batterys near totally dead the voltage drops a fan would slow down and iff left on will take everything thay can completely discharging the batterys. if you only have 1 house battery it will not last very long recommend getting 2 6volt golf cart batterys thay are made to stand many charge discharge cycles and give good bang for the buck.
hometool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:56 AM   #6

OP wants to know how to PREVENT the battery from going past 50% if left unattended, I think...
Old 03-30-2016, 12:15 PM   #7

First, standard battery usually means a Grp 24 with about 75 Amp Hours of which you can only use about 37.5 AH. Sell it and replace with the largest RV battery that will fit, Group 27, 29 or 31. I replaced mine with a Grp 27 from Costco that had 110AH. With all LED lights and light furnace use, it lasted 3 days with enough power to raise the landing gear and bring in the slides. I did not have a generator or battery at the time. I also did not have a volt meter so I had no idea what was left. 12v is considered dead and 12.6v is full charge.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:41 PM   #8

You can install a low voltage cut off.

The one I posted will handle a 40 amp load.

There are larger capacity models.

http://www.impactbattery.com/12-volt...2qwaAj3G8P8HAQ
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:45 PM   #9

If you can use the generator, top off the battery before retiring. If you use a Fantastic ceiling fan, they don't draw much power and you should be fine overnight. The thing that really draws down the battery is running the furnace all night. Just add some more blankets instead and turn the furnace on first thing in the morning. It doesn't take long to warm it up. Good luck! Dry camping gives you many more nice opportunities. We love it!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:39 PM   #10

I recommend reading The 12V side of Life, part 1 and part 2
Those two pages contain nearly everything you need to know about your 12V system and batteries.
BTW, when you add another 12V battery you double the amperage available, when you switch to 2 6V batteries you only have the amperage of just 1 6V battery.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:56 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You can install a low voltage cut off.

The one I posted will handle a 40 amp load.

There are larger capacity models.

http://www.impactbattery.com/12-volt...2qwaAj3G8P8HAQ

That's pretty neat ! I also found this model which lets the user select the cutoff voltage.

http://www.powerwerx.com/batteries-c...nnect-lvd.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1459389359.962868.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	122754
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I recommend reading The 12V side of Life, part 1 and part 2
Those two pages contain nearly everything you need to know about your 12V system and batteries.
BTW, when you add another 12V battery you double the amperage available, when you switch to 2 6V batteries you only have the amperage of just 1 6V battery.
And those 6V batteries would be 225AH with true deep cycle properties that could last years longer.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:03 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

The low voltage cutoff device protects the battery from excessive discharge, but you still have no power. The fridge shuts off (even in LP gas mode), the furnace doesn't run, and the water pump doesn't pump.

In my opinion a more practical answer is to place a large DC voltage display where you will notice it, to remind you that voltage is dropping. Then familiarize yourself with the tables that relate voltage to state-of-charge, e.g this one:
Battery State-Of-Charge Chart For Voltage & Specific Gravity

Be aware that the tables show "open circuit" voltage, and what you see while the battery is under load will be lower. This the 12.1v that equates to 50% is actually more like 11.9v if the battery has a modest power draw on it. The bigger the draw, the lower the voltage.

Led voltmeters are cheap and easy to hook up. Here's one:
Mini DC 0 1 30V LED Panel Voltage Meter 3 Digital Display Voltmeter Motorcycle | eBay
Robot Check
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:41 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like you have the room for two batteries. Purchase two of the larger amp TRUE DEEP CYCLE batteries so they are a matched pair 6 or 12 volt. Purchase if the TT does not already have a charging system a good charger as the Gen 12 volt out put is minimal. Run all the appliances on gas. Limit power use after Gen time and before bed. Switch lights to LED if you can, makes a bit of light use a no problem. At this point you should be able to dry camp wit the best of those out there. And the last set the furnace at 62-66 degrees and run your fan, don't know if the fan is for sleep noise or cooling but a low amp draw fan WILL RUN fine.

LEN

Tags
battery, camping