Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #15

I have been wrong but on the new law on a 200,000.00 rig will cost 7% sales tax and 6.5% ad. Tax for a extra approx 28,000 out of pocket expense.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Not sure where you're getting your information, but this comes from the GA DOR website where it describes the new tax:

Vehicles purchased on or after March 1, 2013 and titled in this state will be exempt from sales and use tax and the annual ad valorem tax. Instead, these vehicles will be subject to a new, one-time title ad valorem tax that is based on the value of the vehicle.

When I purchased my new MH in June, I paid 6.5% of the purchase price.

David49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #17
doc

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I have been wrong but on the new law on a 200,000.00 rig will cost 7% sales tax and 6.5% ad. Tax for a extra approx 28,000 out of pocket expense.
Wrong. When you pay the onetime sales tax on a new or used vehicle you purchase then after that you pay a yearly fee of something like 20 dollars - for as long as you own the vehicle. This was done by the state legislature to stop the 'private' deals where no sales tax is collected. It works well, but it has put a kink in a lot of enterprises where neither party was paying the sales tax. The county will review the sales price and the value of the vehicle purchased to make sure no sweetheart deals are done, like a 30 grand vehicle is 'purchased' for 300 dollars and never actually leaves the seller's hand.
The counties have a book value they go by. The taxpayer can appeal the book value assigned if he does not agree on the value and can present his own proof of value. This appeal can go as far as superior court, but usually goes no further than the Board of Equalization. There is no charge for the BOEq hearings but it does cost to file in superior court.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
DOC, I think you have given me my answer... Thanks. Now all I need to do is decide if I'm goin to "move" or not and a good part of that is up to darling daughter the GA resident.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
No that is incorrect.

I bought a new rig in March 2012 and had to pay Ad Valorem tax last year. This year when I renewed my tag, while on the road, I contacted my local tag office and they had me fax them my bill of sale. They told me that all I needed to send in was $21. $20 for the tag and the $1 mail in fee.

Here is what they said and it's on the GA Dept of revenue site

Quote:
Vehicles purchased on or after March 1, 2013 and titled in this state will be exempt from sales and use tax and the annual ad valorem tax. Instead, these vehicles will be subject to a new, one-time title ad valorem tax that is based on the value of the vehicle.

In addition, if you purchase and title a vehicle between January 1, 2012 and March 1, 2013, you may be eligible to opt-in to the new title ad valorem tax.
Georgia Department of Revenue

Basically you are exempt from sales and use tax and the annual ad valorem tax. What you pay, at the time of purchase, is a 6.5% one time ad valorem tax and that's all for your first year tag. The next year you pay just the $20 tag fee.

In my case I paid 7% sales tax in March, 2012 plus I had to pay ad valorem tax for 2012. The new law took effect in 2013 so when I renewed I got credit for the 7% sales tax, paid in March 2012, since they grandfathered sales back to Jan 1, 2012

GA sales tax rate is 6% but my county has a 1% SPLOST in place so I got credit for paying 7%. My understanding is that if you meet all the requirements to opt into the new law but only paid 6% sales tax at time of purchase you can pay the additional tax due to opt in.

In your example a $200,000 purchase price today would require $13,000 in the one time ad valorem tax and no sales tax. Take the dealer a check for $213,000 and drive your new motorhome away. Next year your tag renewal will be $20!

Hope this helps.

Marc
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #20

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Question.. For assorted reasons if I decide to kiss Michigan Goodby as my "Home state" Georgia is an option. For one thing I spend a good part of the winter just 3 miles from GA (IN SC) and for another... Darling Daughter lives in Darian (About 39 Miles from FL as the freeway wanders).

How would I get taxed.. To make it easy assume a 100,000 base sticker price when new (NOT what i paid but it's a nice round figure).

From the GA Dept Of Revenue web site.

HOUSE BILL 386
New Ad Valorem Title Tax ("TAVT")

How is fair market value determined for a used motor vehicle?
  • A used motor vehicle is any motor vehicle which has been the subject of a sale at retail to the general public.
  • For a used motor vehicle, the fair market value is the value identified in the state motor vehicle assessment manual. This value is calculated by averaging the current wholesale and retail values of the motor vehicle pursuant to O.C.G.A. 48-5-442. Accordingly, the fair market value for a used motor vehicle for purposes of TAVT will generally be the same as the value that was used in the old annual ad valorem tax system.
  • A reduction is made for the trade-in when the sale was made by a dealer, but not when the sale was made by a private individual.

I am a new resident of Georgia. How does TAVT affect me?
  • New residents moving into Georgia are required to register and title their motor vehicle in Georgia and must pay 50% of the TAVT within 30 days of moving to the state and the remaining 50% must be paid within the next 12 months.
Georgia Department of Revenue

Also this may be important for a retiree moving to GA.

Social Security is not subject to state tax and for a retiree 65 and older the first $65,000 in retirement income.

From GA Dept Of Revenue:
"Retirement income includes income from pensions and annuities, interest income, dividend income, net income from rental property, capital gains income, and income from royalties. For married couples filing joint returns with both members receiving retirement income, the maximum adjustment for the applicable year may be up to twice the individual exclusion amount. Retirement income exceeding the maximum adjustable amount will be taxed at the normal rate"

62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote