Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2017, 03:08 PM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Gadgets

There r a lot of gadgets for rv'ers, Tire monitoring, rear cameras, digital tire gauge, GPS, Google maps, hand held stick blenders. It's and endless barrage of stuff you can't live without. My question is what is it you wouldn't leave home without. What gadget is priceless? And what gadget was a total waste of $?
djnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2017, 03:59 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Always travel with some tools.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:01 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
We would never leave with out our NOAH weather radio. Great for storm tracking
Useless gadget would be portable shelves for our kitchen cabinet.

momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:03 PM   #4

tools
meters
GPS
backup camera.
Wife
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:49 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

And a credit card with a high limit!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:53 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Seriously, I can't think of any Must have gadgets, but high on my list of convenience items are my computer & phone, GPS, and TPMS on the tires. Now we traveled far & wide, so travel aids are great. If I were camping 50 miles from home on a familiar route & place. I would be more concerned about having the BBQ grill and lawn chairs.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:01 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To take your list:
Tire monitoring,
Though I can live without it.. When I got mine the first trip out I found I'd been Screwed (Read on before doing anything folks) I was about 2/3 the way to where I was going when BEEP BEEP BEEP the alarm went off. Left Front on the Towed... Well I aired it up, and continued to air it up every day till I got home, Next Morning I aired it up once more and drove to the nearby tire store, where they kindly REMOVED said Screw and installed a proper patch (internal) at no charge thanks to road hazard warranty (See, I told you I'd been Screwed.. Sheet metal type). Another RVer did not install his right away, over 2,000 in damage to the car from the damaged tire, PLUS the tire itself.

rear cameras,
I drive a class A. Very handy for seeing what's behind me and keeping an electroinc "EYE" on the towed.

digital tire gauge,
That I do not have, Use either the Pressure Pro (Which is digital, TPMS) or a standard old fashion gauge.
GPS, Google maps,
Well. often I'm in a place I've never been before.. (not always) and ye old co-pilot.. Well let me put it this way, Cartography was not her strong point... GPS lets me tell at a gauge-scan of this laptop if i'm off course, and how to fix it. Google maps.. I use in the car on the 'droid.

hand held stick blenders. Those I use occasionally, not as often as I should, but I have multiple blenders, choppers, processers and mixers as it happens I like cooking. IN fact dinner in 3 minutes.

Radios.. I have an assortement here, Ham, CB and FRS, all used from time to time.. Had a GMRS license for a while but dropped it.

Ice maker (optional) There is one in the RV-Fridge, a common U-line but I found I like the addtional room I got when I "ripped" (removed gently) the unit after a water line failure.. Easier to stow it than fix it, Now using a "Counter top" unit, very pleased 26 pounds a day.

Additional freezer (ENGEL in my case, you can go Dometic if you like)

Induciton and traditional electric "Single burners" Why pay for Propane when ELectricity is included? Likewise space heaters (Electric)

Water Filters.. Some of the camp grounds I've been in even I could not drink the water. but one pass through a charcoal filter and it's good.

Mine is home made, uses granulated charcoal from the fish isle at the pet store. FOllowed by a PUR or Britta filter.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:02 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Priceless - Keurig Coffee machine - nothing beats a good cup of coffee - gets used several times a day . . .
Total Waste - the bottled propane grill that a fellow RV'er told me was the first thing I should get and after getting it I used once in six years of RV'ing. Far easier to cook inside and bring outside if needed.

There is a load of stuff that I bring along and if needed would move up to the priceless category (kitchen items to make cooking easier, tools, meters, GPS, air compressor, weather radio, 6 foot ladder, etc.) but none of them are used as often as my Coffee machine.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:10 PM   #9

Princeton tech headlamp and reading glasses. If I can't see it or read the manual, no amount of tools will help me fix it!
Old 02-19-2017, 06:35 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Progressive Industries EMS

TireTraker TPMS

SteerSafe stabilizers

ARP

Protect-A-Tow
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmat View Post
Total Waste - the bottled propane grill that a fellow RV'er told me was the first thing I should get and after getting it I used once in six years of RV'ing. Far easier to cook inside and bring outside if needed.
That's the one thing I must have. If somehow I forgot it I would have to stop and buy another.
Lazy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:22 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
GPS
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:07 PM   #13

If you are away from home,,, how about a paper map ??? Who carries those nowdays ? What if the "net" goes down ??? A "real" map might come in handy...... (along with a few other things to keep you safe) ...... Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:19 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
For me it's our TPMS. I don't travel without it. Next I find my I-Pad to be irreplaceable. Great for info, finding fuel, finding an RV park getting weather. The list goes on with it.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote