Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2016, 07:05 AM   #15
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Can this unit be set up for continuous monitoring of the towed vehicle? My built in unit died and the shop installed a new one that will only work in reverse or when the flashers on the MH are activated. I want something that I can glance at the Jeep and make sure everything is OK
The power is normally somewhere on the back up light wire (flashers??). Just find or make up a switchable continuous 12VDC wire and it will be on whenever you want to look behind your rig.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2016, 02:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzie101 View Post
I'm thinking of getting the bc30 so it will work with my gps. I just can't figure out where to put the transmitter in my f150 where it will stay dry.....

Edit: never mind. I just found a video that says the transmitter is water resistant so that's not as big as an issue as I thought it would be. Let me know how it goes!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Can you not mount a small tupperware container and place the transmitter in that?
Old 03-30-2016, 10:46 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Finished installing it this afternoon. Screwed the camera mount into the upper back of the trailer. The wires I ran along the top edge, down the back right corner and along he length of the trailer, along the frame. I used small clamps and screws on the rear to hold the wire and then used tie straps underneath. I wired he power into the running lights so that the camera/transmitter come on when I turn on the lights.

The transmitter is located under the trailer at the front. Excellent reception and the quality f the picture is very good.

So, for the cost of a very good GPS for RVing plus $130 for a camera, I have the best of both worlds. Nice side note, I can also use the system as a rear view mirror to keep an eye on the idiots who are trying to draft my slipstream.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:32 PM   #18

Back up camera

I recently purchased the Garmin 760 LMT and BC20 for my XLR 29HFS Toy Hauler. I mounted the camera in the rear top center above the ramp door. I also purchased the 50' extension cable and mounted the transmitter on the nose of the TH. Instead of connecting power to the backup lights I connected it to a 12V source via a toggle switch mounted on the dash of my truck therefore I can toggle back and forth from the GPS and the camera from the drivers seat. Haven't towed it yet, but I think it will be just what I was attempting to accomplish.

Although I don't pass traffic very much, when I do I believe the camera will allow me to see when I've cleared a passed vehicle.
lkj831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:39 PM   #19

lkj831-

You probably won't need the toggle switch for 12V power to the camera (unless you want to give the camera a rest). That's because you can change between the GPS and the camera display by hitting a "button" on the GPS display screen, even when the camera is powered-up all the time.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
lkj831-

You probably won't need the toggle switch for 12V power to the camera (unless you want to give the camera a rest). That's because you can change between the GPS and the camera display by hitting a "button" on the GPS display screen, even when the camera is powered-up all the time.
That's good to know. I must have missed that in the manual. Thanks!
lkj831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:15 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
Can you not mount a small tupperware container and place the transmitter in that?

Not a bad idea. I just need to find an accessible spot to put it. When it's not so freaking cold and wet out I'll get at it!!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
fuzzie101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, install