Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2018, 03:26 PM   #1

Garmin RV 770 LMT-S versus Rand Mcnally Overdyve 7 RV

Has anyone used either one of these GPS's or both. Looking for opinions on which is better and why? Not worried about price as much as how do they perform, pros and cons.
Thanks
rich stumpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2018, 03:59 PM   #2
Community Moderator

GPS

We have the garmin 770 and have had it for a year now. We used on the trips we have taken and it has not let us down yet. We used it going to Dauphin Island Ala. from Ohio and then to Pensacola. We also used it going back to Stone Mountain Ga. from Pensacola and it did not fail.
During the trip we used it to find places to eat, places to visit etc...

One thing I have found is sometimes it is easier to enter city, street address then to search thru points of interests category.

One of the best buys we have made and would not travel without it. Even when we go some place we have been before and know the route we will used it because it tell us of updates to the road constructions.
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:28 PM   #3

There is an excellent comparison between Garmin and Rand McNally GPS' in the current December 2018 edition of Motorhome magazine.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:49 PM   #4

Thanks Jim B.
I just read that article and why I am asking for real experiences, both seem like they performed well in their testing but I'm looking for opinions form real RVers.

We purchased a Rand Mcnally GPS years ago and it was not user friendly when inputing some info, looking to see if either is better now.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:43 PM   #5

I have a 770 and friends have the RMcNally. We are happy with ours and they are too.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich stumpf View Post
Thanks Jim B.
I just read that article and why I am asking for real experiences, both seem like they performed well in their testing but I'm looking for opinions form real RVers.

We purchased a Rand Mcnally GPS years ago and it was not user friendly when inputing some info, looking to see if either is better now.
Hi Rich,

I have been a Garmin user and fan for several years now, auto, motorcycle and marine, and have always found them to be user friendly, and more important, if there is an issue, Garmin have an excellent help desk.
I'm currently using a Garmin 2699 in the RV, and also looking to move up to the 770.
I really like the 2699's 6" screen and way it speaks the directions to me.
The only issue I've found is that the voice recognition feature doesn't always pick my voice up well.
The one thing holding me back from the 770 is the inability to use the display in portrait mode (better fit on my dash).
Personally, would not consider anything other than Garmin, and that's based on ease of operation, overall performance, Garmin's support department and price point.
Good luck with your search and I will also be watching for other user comments on the 770.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.B1 View Post
Hi Rich,

I have been a Garmin user and fan for several years now, auto, motorcycle and marine, and have always found them to be user friendly, and more important, if there is an issue, Garmin have an excellent help desk.
I'm currently using a Garmin 2699 in the RV, and also looking to move up to the 770.
I really like the 2699's 6" screen and way it speaks the directions to me.
The only issue I've found is that the voice recognition feature doesn't always pick my voice up well.
The one thing holding me back from the 770 is the inability to use the display in portrait mode (better fit on my dash).
Personally, would not consider anything other than Garmin, and that's based on ease of operation, overall performance, Garmin's support department and price point.
Good luck with your search and I will also be watching for other user comments on the 770.
Thanks Jim, this is great information and great points, just what I was looking for. Will be interesting to see if others feel the same.

Thanks again
Old 11-18-2018, 06:54 PM   #8

770 - nuvi

I use a Garmin NUVI. I like the user interface and the way it plans routes. Does the 770 work much like the NUVI?
The NUVI lacks enough detail in the overview to evaluate the route plan. Does the 770 do better?
Has anyone use Garmin Base Camp with the NUVI or 770? Does it improve ease of planning control?
Regards,
Paul Bristol
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:13 PM   #9

Our MH came with an Xcite built-in nav using Rand maps and software. I'll be replacing that this winter with some other product using Garmin. The Rand maps are terrible, it has many times failed to locate a valid address. I shut it off recently driving through Atlanta because it gave several incorrect indications of which lane to use. Have to run Google maps on a phone any time we're in an area where navigation is critical to ensure we're not misdirected.

I have two Garmin portables and the maps are rarely inconsistent with the real world.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:27 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I had a Rand McNally 7710 and now I have a Garmin 770. Hands down the Garmin is more reliable.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:12 AM   #11

Thanks Tony looks like so far Garmin is more reliable
Old 11-19-2018, 05:31 AM   #12

I have a Garmin RV 660 the predecessor to the 770. A year and a couple of months after I purchased it, it broke. I sent it back to Garmin and they sent me a refurbished one. No charge. So far it has worked as designed.

Software is not perfect. It has routed me onto roads that did not go to my destination and required a U turn. Not often but once or twice. Overall I like the Garmin product. Garmin phone support is top notch.

I also display Google maps on a tablet as I travel to show an up ahead view. That should prevent a U turn in the future.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
Our MH came with an Xcite built-in nav using Rand maps and software. I'll be replacing that this winter with some other product using Garmin. The Rand maps are terrible, it has many times failed to locate a valid address. I shut it off recently driving through Atlanta because it gave several incorrect indications of which lane to use. Have to run Google maps on a phone any time we're in an area where navigation is critical to ensure we're not misdirected.

I have two Garmin portables and the maps are rarely inconsistent with the real world.
Our RV came with the Xcite also. I've had a Garmin Dezl 770 for several years that's about the same as the Garmin RV version.
I had the same issue with the Xcite showing incorrect lanes in Atlanta but the Garmin had issues also telling me that the interstate was restricted to deliveries only. That may have been due to the trucker version.
The Garmin and the RM maps are only as good as your recent update so the best real life gps is going to be either Waze or Google Maps.
The biggest issue I see with folks using gps is they have forgotten to concentrate on the road signs. The gps is ok but has limits.
Good, old fashioned, "pay attention to the road signs", is the only way to drive across this country!
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:39 AM   #14

Waze, now owned by Google and Google maps does not take into account bridge height or bridge weight limits. Garmin's RV GPS's will route you on roads that are more RV friendly as long as you have the routing preferences in the GPS set to allow this.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote