Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2019, 05:23 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
On the map lock issue, I vaguely remember...

There's a trick to unlocking an installed map in BaseCamp on a Windows computer. It has to do with the lock file being installed on a different user's account, usually one with administrator privileges. Look for the "UnlockCodes.ucx" file and copy it to the same location for the user's account. Then restart BaseCamp.

I tried to find a link to the Web page where I discovered this trick, but failed. So, I could be way off. I do remember it was something simple, and I had to do it each time I downloaded a new map to the computer.

Having the map on the computer makes it easy and fast to plan trips. I don't download them to the GPSes until I've adjusted them to their final form.
There's not really any "trick" necessary. If you use Garmin Express to update your maps, which I use since my 760 is not WiFi enabled, then you just click on the Map Options link, and you'll find the command to download the map to your Basecamp application. Easy peasy.
mtmsfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2019, 05:50 PM   #44

Mark-

The "locked" maps problem occurs after downloading to a Windows computer using Garmin Express. If the map is "locked" it will not open on the computer. The method to which I referred unlocks the maps.

I suspect that if the computer account used for BaseCamp has Windows Administrator privileges, then the map-lock problem does not happen. It happens that on the computer I use for BaseCamp the user account does not have Windows Administrator privileges.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:14 PM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Ah ok. I use my personal laptop for basecamp and updates so dont have that issue.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:16 AM   #46

For length?

What do you put in for the length? I have a 32SA so that's about 34' long. My Wranger is about 15' long. I figure about 2 feet for the extended tow bar. So do I put in 34' or 51'? 101" wide I get. Height is whatever it is. I forget but about 13'. But the length?
paulrubin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:28 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmarks View Post
Has anyone figured out the difference between the 770 and the 780? About to buy one. $100 more for the 780. And... you guys are importing .gox files from BaseCamp? Wasn’t sure if that would work.
I ended up going with the 770. $100 is a $100 - and if the only difference is the 3D map, I don’t use that, anyway. I’ve had Garmins for years. Most recently I have a Zumo 665 for motorcycle touring. Familiar with the units, I was able to set mine up in just a few minutes. Used it yesterday for the first time and loved it. More updates to come as I use the unit some more.
jonmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:11 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmarks View Post
I ended up going with the 770. $100 is a $100
Which is enough diesel to keep me going maybe 4 hours. To me that's not much. I'm trying to decide between the Garmin RV 780 and the big-bucks Kenwood DNX775RVS with a tablet "repeater" for my navigator/copilot (aka DW).
Old 06-14-2019, 05:51 AM   #49

Agreed. No issues so far, but only a 6 day trip under its belt. Taking a two week trip at the end of the month and going to put it thru all the tests I can. I'll update then.
El Chapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:23 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAFlowers View Post
Which is enough diesel to keep me going maybe 4 hours. To me that's not much. I'm trying to decide between the Garmin RV 780 and the big-bucks Kenwood DNX775RVS with a tablet "repeater" for my navigator/copilot (aka DW).
Sounds interesting. What is a tablet repeater?
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:31 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Sounds interesting. What is a tablet repeater?
As it was described to me it is a tablet computer which can see and control the Kenwood including the navigation. However I'm now lead to believe there is nothing special about it; any iPad, iPhone or Android device should be able to download some Kenwood app and gain the ability.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:47 AM   #52

Another thing that I noticed that is different between the 780 and the 770 is the app. The 780 uses the Garmin Drive App and the 770 uses the Garmin Smartphone Link App.

Unknown if this would affect future support?
2Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 05:59 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammy s View Post
What does an RV Garmin do that a regular one does not do?
It comes with a bed & bath[emoji38]
Old 06-30-2019, 12:54 PM   #54

Thor Owners Club
This looks like a good post to toss out this question. Seems to be some folks knowledgeable in Basecamp.
I am considering the RV 780 for our new Palazzo. Just updated my Basecamp to v4.8.4 and started playing with it in hopes of seeing how route planning with RV profile would work. I have selected the little RV icon as the activity, but I cannot find any place to enter the RV specs. Based on a couple of threads on other posts, I've tried their ideas, but still no luck.
Anyone here able to help.
Please!!
Thanks,
harvnlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:36 PM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
4.8.4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvnlois View Post
This looks like a good post to toss out this question. Seems to be some folks knowledgeable in Basecamp.
I am considering the RV 780 for our new Palazzo. Just updated my Basecamp to v4.8.4 and started playing with it in hopes of seeing how route planning with RV profile would work. I have selected the little RV icon as the activity, but I cannot find any place to enter the RV specs. Based on a couple of threads on other posts, I've tried their ideas, but still no luck.
Anyone here able to help.
Please!!
Thanks,
Hmmm, according to Garmin website, 4.7 is the latest version for the PC. Are you using a Mac? On the PC version, go to Edit:Options:Activity Profile. Select RV and then Routing Tab.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:54 AM   #56

Caution !!!
While the Garmin 760 may warn you of some height restrictions it may or may not
have all of them. Please be wise and watch your overhead crossings as it is not a pretty
picture after the fact.
Garmin is NOT responsible for your lack of attention.
I do use Garmin but only as a backup but try to always know my location, direction of travel and appx mile marker. I still use paper maps to confirm routes.
It is wise to run the route thru Garmin but just as a safety measure to double check yourself. IMHO everyone has become too dependant on AI and are letting our self
go to pot! pardon the punt.......

Be safe out the there,

keep the shiny side up,

aim for between the lines

& Roll-On........

Tags
gps