Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2019, 10:09 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Garmin RV780

Does anyone have any feedback on the Garmin RV780 yet? Its on the Garmin website and appears to be available now. Pricing on the RV770 has dropped $50 making it more attractive, but I wonder what bells and whistles have been added to the new model. Haven't been able to do a comparison on the Garmin site as the 770 is now a previous model and you can't compare previous with current models as far as I can tell.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2019, 05:50 AM   #2

Garmin has a great marketing dept. Since there are no buttons on their devices except the on button, a software update would probably bring most of their recent units up to date. But why do that when you can sell an entire new unit.

I have a now ancient Garmin 660 that does everything I need to include route changing on the fly. Please don't tell me what I'm missing vs the new units, then I'll want one.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:08 AM   #3

Garmin RV 780

We have the newest Garmin RV GPS. It has every campground, public and private that exists in any data base. Many of those campsites can not accommodate an RV, so you may need other resources for a full description. I noticed for some campsites, there is an information button that will give you some specifics (hookups, size limitation, tents only, phone numbers, etc.), but not all public sites such as COE, NFCG, BLM....

The GPS allows you to put in your rig size to help keep you off unsuitable roads, but sometimes it will come up and tell you it has no information about certain roads.

As expected, you connect via a smart phone for all the extra features such as traffic, weather, alerts, radar, and wireless phone service.

I probably have not even touched on all the features, but it seems that Garmin keeps adding stuff with each new generation of GPS.

Cost of unit was about $400 shipped.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:46 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I’m also using a Garmin 780 purchased last week. As far as differences compared to 770 the following was an answer from someone at Garmin responding to that same question on another site:

“The Garmin RV 780 includes additional features like an updated user interface; additional vehicle profiles, a directory of RV parks and services plus integrated content from Ultimate Public Campgrounds, KOA[emoji768], iOverlander[emoji769], PlanRV[emoji769] TripAdvisor[emoji768], and Foursquare, embedded traffic ready to use right out of the box, and other new features.”
TriGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:03 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Garmin

The last update was in April does anyone have an opinion on If The 780 is worth the extra $$$$ vs the 770
1jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:16 AM   #6

I've had the 780 since July. It is quite comprehensive with tons of features. Definitely worth the money.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 07:30 AM   #7

GPSCity.com has the 780 on sale for $349 with free shipping.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 10:04 AM   #8

I recently purchased the Garmin 785 to replace my aging DeLorme Street Atlas.
Went with the 785 because of the built-in Dash cam.
So far using it, it hasn't lead us astray.
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 10:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
I recently purchased the Garmin 785 to replace my aging DeLorme Street Atlas.
Went with the 785 because of the built-in Dash cam.
So far using it, it hasn't lead us astray.
That you know of.

I have been a Garmin GPS user since Lowrance gave up on the auto GPS market and have them in all my vehicles.

I bought an RV 660LMT 2+ years ago for my coach and a new 50LMT last year for my daily driver. Both are kept up to date with both system and map updates.

I have to say, in both cases, the algorithm for calculating the route has left much to be desired. Both will route you out of the way of the best route for no particular reason adding 15 - 30 minutes to a 2&1/2 hour drive; will route you one way going to a destination and a different way on the way back; will route you off a main road to a ramp and then back on to the main road.

The RV 660 has real time traffic updates and during my Christmas trip last week told me there was a traffic problem ahead with a delay anywhere from 5 minutes to over an hour. As I continued on my way the delay seemed to randomly change, withing 2 miles of the delay area it was at 55 minute delay (with no traffic backup), then within 1 mile the indicated delay disappeared and we continued with no delay and no indication of any problem where the delay was supposed to be.

So like any other aid, take it as an input and evaluate all you traffic aides.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 10:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
Snip
I have to say, in both cases, the algorithm for calculating the route has left much to be desired. Both will route you out of the way of the best route for no particular reason adding 15 - 30 minutes to a 2&1/2 hour drive; will route you one way going to a destination and a different way on the way back; will route you off a main road to a ramp and then back on to the main road.

The RV 660 has real time traffic updates and during my Christmas trip last week told me there was a traffic problem ahead with a delay anywhere from 5 minutes to over an hour. As I continued on my way the delay seemed to randomly change, withing 2 miles of the delay area it was at 55 minute delay (with no traffic backup), then within 1 mile the indicated delay disappeared and we continued with no delay and no indication of any problem where the delay was supposed to be.

So like any other aid, take it as an input and evaluate all you traffic aides.
I also have the Garmin 660 and love it. It has not routed me like it has you. You might check and make sure you don't have an avoidance set that is causing the unusual routing.
Concerning the traffic updates, like you I've found that part to be pretty much useless.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 03:01 PM   #11

I bought a Garmin RV770 the summer of 2018. Ive tried to update it a few times but it won't connect the the wifi. Will be calling Garmin customer service on Monday.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 12:30 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
There is always a reason for routing. Fastest, shortest, right turns, size of RV, length of RV, and options keep getting more. How many sit down and go through the GPS from day one? I know all males know it all already LOL. Think at last count I have seven GPS and two phone GPS with several GPS apps. One of the best warnings is lane assist. My 760 has about all the RV parks I need, plus the wife looks at RVparky on the phone. Now where the L is that GPS on the tablet???? LOL
Old 12-29-2019, 07:03 PM   #13

I've covered driving the western states my entire life, and the garmin rarely will give me the best route. That I don't mind, what I do mind is the difficulty in plugging in the preferred route. If you aren't familiar with the 2 lane highways you just think the garmin is steering you down the best path. Rand McNally still stays up front as well. Now in town, up coming offramps etc... Lane changes, speed limit changes, I wouldn't be without the garmin.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 03:28 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Just curious, I have the coPilot installed on my in-dash screen. Is it worth also having a GPS like one of the Garmins discussed here in addition?
MaxB is offline   Reply With Quote