Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2018, 02:08 PM   #1
M2D

Gas Can for Portable Generator

I have been doing a lot of reading about the dangers of filling your gas can while in the back of a pickup with a plastic liner. We know not to do that due to the possibility of static charge issues.

We have a small Honda generator which we will be taking with us on our next cross country trip. We will be heading up to Alaska after visiting in the Southwest.
This will be the first time that we bring the generator with us.

I have been doing some searches here but have not hit on a thread concerning where people stow the gas can for their generator while traveling. Maybe I just have not found the right combination of words for an effective search. So may I ask where those of you who travel with a gas can store it while underway. We have a long bed PU towing a fifth wheel. Is it OK to store the gas can in a box in the bed of the truck? Is there some level of ventilation needed for potential fumes?

As always we appreciate any information you can give us about safely transporting a can of gas during our travels. Our truck is a diesel if that matters to the advice you might give us.

Thank,

Michele and Mark
M2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2018, 02:16 PM   #2

Went across the US and back (CA to Maine) with 2x Honda 2000i and a 2.5 ga plastic gas can. Can is California approved, so no vapors. The Hondas have the vent on off gas cap so as long as its in the closed position, no vapors. I stored the gas can and two gens in a 21'TT. Last thing in, first thing out. Never a hint of gas smell. I also used the same gens and can with our 5ver, now traded for our MH. Used a hitch mounted rack and tool box to carry the Hondas and gas can out of sight and locked. Two lawn chairs and our two folding bikes. It worked.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:55 PM   #3

I stow a five gallon plastic gas container in a large open rugged plastic box in the bed of my truck. My 3,400 watt Champion is also secured in the front of the bed with ratchet straps and a padlocked cable. This is all enclosed under a tonneau cover. Done this all over out West, the SE, the Alaska Highway and Alaska without any problem whatsoever.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:23 PM   #4

Carry two Honda 2000 style gens, 1 5 gal can, and a 6 gal extended stay tank.....in bed of truck....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Carry two Honda 2000 style gens, 1 5 gal can, and a 6 gal extended stay tank.....in bed of truck....

I do the same thing except that I use a 2-1/2 gallon can. Those extended run tanks are fuel tanks for outboards and are pretty safe. They lay flat so tipping over won't happen. If I thought that I might be camping a long way from a gas station, I can bring an additional outboard tank that was purchased at a yard sale.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:14 PM   #6

That's what I made mine out of
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:23 PM   #7

I converted my Honda 3000eu to run off propane. Benefits - I always have LP tanks available from camper, LP gas never goes bad, I don't have to drain carb, no exhaust fumes to deal with. There are some cons like conversion expense, slight less wattage output and 4-5 pulls to start on LP vs 1 pull with gas.
I actually carry 2 spare 30lb propane tanks and have them wedged between the fifth wheel hitch and the truck fender well. The tanks fit nice and tight there with some bungie straps hooked into the hitch bed rails. Also, my truck is diesel, so keeping and disposing of old gas would just be another thing to deal with.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:43 PM   #8

Speaking of gas cans, here's what I picked up to use,,,

https://www.amazon.com/No-Spill-1405...psc=1&refRID=S
Caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:45 PM   #9

When we towed a fifth wheel, we carried the Honda and fuel can(s) in the truck tool box.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:27 PM   #10

Traveling with a sealed gas can secured in the bed is fine. Just set it on the ground to fill it and that takes care of the static issue although I can't see static arcing to a plastic container.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber View Post
Speaking of gas cans, here's what I picked up to use,,,

https://www.amazon.com/No-Spill-1405...psc=1&refRID=S

I use the same container in the five gallon size. Works great; never spill a drop of gas.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, generator