Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #57
Senior Member
 
baraff's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,416
We've had two cards compromised, PenFed and Discover. Both were very proactive when they detected the fraud. The Discover fraud happened when we were in the middle of our big trip out west, they called us while we were at Grand Canyon. Boy, does that put a damper on your well-earned vacation!
We use our Discover card for online purchases only, so someone got our number from a compromised merchant's database. I now use the Discover Secure Account Number feature that generates a virtual number. It can only be used at one merchant. So at least if the card gets compromised, I ( and Discover) will know where it happened.
Both Discover and PenFed were very good about getting replacement cards and voiding the fraudulent charges.
__________________

__________________
Burns & Diane
2005 Winnebago Aspect 26A/2012 Subaru Impreza toad
Illinois! - Where the politicians make the license plates......
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2013, 11:20 PM   #58
RV Mutant #14
 
Wayne M's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 12,184
Someone mentioned earlier in the thread about passing by with a briefcase and scanning your card. If your card has an RFID chip (proximity chip) in it and you can just pass it in front of a CC machine, you have one. If it is mandatory that you have to swipe the card, then you do not have an RFID chip. Most of the time you can feel the little bump in the credit card where the chip is. This is a proximity chip, and you have to be very close to the machine for it to be read. A passerby cannot just have a briefcase and scan the card in your back pocket. However, if they have the scanner in their hand and brush up against you, say "Excuse me," and walk on - they have it.

Banks sometimes have the little foil sleeves that CC's can be put into and then stuck in the wallet. I use those. Mine are getting worn out and when they become totally useless I'll make a sleeve out of aluminum foil.

Wait - I don't have RFID CC's. And if I did, as I have done once with an Amex business card, I'll take it to the anvil on the vice, use a good hammer and smash the chip rendering it useless as an RFID CC. It can still be swiped in any CC machine.

Happy trails.
__________________

__________________
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2015 Winnebago Tour 42QD
RVM14
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:40 PM   #59
Senior Member
 
ChileRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Palm Desert, Ca
Posts: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Someone mentioned earlier in the thread about passing by with a briefcase and scanning your card. If your card has an RFID chip (proximity chip) in it and you can just pass it in front of a CC machine, you have one. If it is mandatory that you have to swipe the card, then you do not have an RFID chip. Most of the time you can feel the little bump in the credit card where the chip is. This is a proximity chip, and you have to be very close to the machine for it to be read. A passerby cannot just have a briefcase and scan the card in your back pocket. However, if they have the scanner in their hand and brush up against you, say "Excuse me," and walk on - they have it.

Banks sometimes have the little foil sleeves that CC's can be put into and then stuck in the wallet. I use those. Mine are getting worn out and when they become totally useless I'll make a sleeve out of aluminum foil.

Wait - I don't have RFID CC's. And if I did, as I have done once with an Amex business card, I'll take it to the anvil on the vice, use a good hammer and smash the chip rendering it useless as an RFID CC. It can still be swiped in any CC machine.

Happy trails.
Most CC company's use a secure account number feature with the RFID type cards. They generate a new random security code each time they are used. For those, the "briefcase thing" won't work. No hammer necessary. Not all though. Pretty expensive technology.
__________________
2012 Winnebago Sightseer
2003 Wrangler
...and a dog named Belle
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:46 PM   #60
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
We immediately checked our checking account and it had been wiped out to the tune of about $3,000 (all online transactions).

This is why I never use debit cards. Unlike plain old credit cards, a debit card is an open door to your checking account. Definitely not the way to go.
Exactly why we don't have them either, we keep close to or over 6 figures in our checking accounts. Can't really afford to lose it!
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #61
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Makes the purpose of this thread, to me, moot.
Maybe to you, but not to others!
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:42 AM   #62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven
Makes the purpose of this thread, to me, moot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Maybe to you, but not to others!
X2
I found that to be a very odd and selfish comment.
__________________
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:59 AM   #63
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Consider using PayPal,
That is terrible advise IMHO. That is the ONLY place I have lost $ from a scammer. CC companies have always made good on any false charges. PayPal which is owned by FleaBay, is only interested in racking up the commissions and their charges are too high also. They will reject most claims.
Google PayPal scams and see how well the people made out trying to get money back from PayPal.
I and many others will only use PayPal if it is done thru my CC company.
__________________
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #64
RV Mutant #14
 
Wayne M's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 12,184
Well, I think I'll let people be their own judge.

Is Pay Pal Safe

Nothing, absolutely nothing is 100% safe. If a person does not have credit cards, internet and all the modern conveniences of life, it does not mean that he or she has not been robbed.

Most of the problems are brought on by the people who have the problems. No virus scanners on their computers, no knowledge of computer security such as clicking on links in emails that are bogus. Passing their information through non-secure means.

So reflecting back on your experience, what went wrong? Enlighten us so that others will not make the same mistake.

Happy trails.

p.s., You did good using a CC for PayPal as it is the better method of payment. Never link a bank account directly. Credit Card companies can refute payments.
__________________
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2015 Winnebago Tour 42QD
RVM14
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:55 AM   #65
jks
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
I also make a second and sometimes a third one if needed but places don't allow a second or third swipe. The ones that don't allow a second are rare but exist.

What could they do with my DL number that causes you to not recommend using it?
Identify theft. Combine a DL with what is available on social media, and it is a wonder that the problem is not worse than it already is.

There are underground web sites that sell compromised credit card #s, that in combination with a DL, is just bad news. Some credit cards use your zip code as a means to identify you.
Our CC's could be compromised without us ever using them. In 2009 Heartland Payment Systems was breached. CCs were compromised at the center and not at point of sale or neglect by the consumer. Since we were not Heartland's customers, there were no breach notification laws that compelled them to notify us. It was Visa and Mastercard that made them fess up.
If second swipe with the same CC does not work, use different CC.
__________________
jks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #66
Senior Member
 
awwall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Biloxi, Ms
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Well, I think I'll let people be their own judge.

Is Pay Pal Safe

Nothing, absolutely nothing is 100% safe. If a person does not have credit cards, internet and all the modern conveniences of life, it does not mean that he or she has not been robbed.

Most of the problems are brought on by the people who have the problems. No virus scanners on their computers, no knowledge of computer security such as clicking on links in emails that are bogus. Passing their information through non-secure means.

So reflecting back on your experience, what went wrong? Enlighten us so that others will not make the same mistake.

Happy trails.

p.s., You did good using a CC for PayPal as it is the better method of payment. Never link a bank account directly. Credit Card companies can refute payments.
Wayne, I use PayPal a lot (sometime too much)!! My account, I not only have to enter my username and password, I have a little 6 digit code generator I have to use. PayPal furnishes these and you don't get in without it. Every time you hit the button it generates a different code. I don't know how they sync, but they do. I have never had a compromise with my PayPal account using this device.
__________________
Wayne and Susan
2012 Georgetown 351 DS | 2012 Ford Focus-Brake Buddy
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #67
Senior Member
 
Bill1374's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Northern NY
Posts: 191
We've had a couple of credit card problems but fortunately, Discover caught the charges quickly and stopped payment. Still don't have one resolved with ITunes. Our first trip after I retired had me trying to fuel up in VA and card wouldn't work. Message on the home phone from Discover advising they held the card because charges were out of our normal area. One phone call fixed it. Since then, we have called them to advise we are traveling and to expect out of the area charges.
We've used the multiple swipes at the pump for a long time now, especially with diesel prices so high.

Like above my credit cards are not signed and I'm very disappointed in the number of merchants that do not ask to see ID. That is my reason for not signing the cards.

I use paypal quite often through Ebay and have not had a problem. I have an account linked to them but only keep a minimal amount to cover planned smaller purchases. Larger purchases are through the linked credit card.

Wayne - keep up the posts, I'm learning things too.

Bill
__________________

__________________
Tiffin Phaeton 40rh
2016 HD Street Glide
Bill1374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gas



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.