Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #1

Gas card hacked again

Twice in six months I have had my credit card hacked.

Not sure if this is the right place so I am posting this here because I figure class A's have larger fuel tanks.

When I get fuel, often I need an amount that exceeds the pump dollar limit, so I go into the station and give them the card to authorize a higher amount. So twice now, I have had unauthorized purchases on my account. It's a hassle because I am traveling and the card company cancels the card but sends the replacement to my stick house.
How do you get around the low pump limit, but not leave the card with the station thief who clones your card while you are pumping fuel?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #2

I just swipe the card again. Only takes a moment, and they never have my card.

A re-swipe takes less time than a walk to and fro

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I carry 3 different CC so I don't have to go inside. And by carrying 3 usually one of them has at least a 3% discount going on fuel.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
we also just swipe the card a second time until the tank is full! Never had any problems!
Old 05-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Several times I left my drivers license instead of my CC. I have only had one station refuse to do that. I left and went to another one across the way and they were okay with it.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
when done press clear on the pump.

WORKHORSE W-22
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I've had my number taken at a very high end hotel.
Thom has just recently had his taken at a gas station. He swiped to get gas at the pump. It did not register. He went inside and went to swipe there to pay for gas for his BIKE. It got declined with the message that he needed to contact the issurer asap. He called up the bank. They told him that he just got $90 in gas. He told them he's on his bike there is no way he put $90 in the tank. They then informed him that someone just used the card across the street for $1 of something. They immediately stopped his card and sent him a new one. Luckily I had just been added to his account and they had just sent me a card so we could use that one till his new one showed up.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
I've had my number taken at a very high end hotel.
Thom has just recently had his taken at a gas station. He swiped to get gas at the pump. It did not register. He went inside and went to swipe there to pay for gas for his BIKE. It got declined with the message that he needed to contact the issurer asap. He called up the bank. They told him that he just got $90 in gas. He told them he's on his bike there is no way he put $90 in the tank. They then informed him that someone just used the card across the street for $1 of something. They immediately stopped his card and sent him a new one. Luckily I had just been added to his account and they had just sent me a card so we could use that one till his new one showed up.
That sounds to me like someone installed a bogus card reader on the pump.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #9

Quote:
I am traveling and the card company cancels the card but sends the replacement to my stick house.
You should never let the cc company get away with this. Insist that they get the card to you where you are at. The last time this happened to us, the cc company had to get a courier to meet us at a highway rest stop. It was actually DW's card and the cc company operator whined and whined but after about five minutes of assertiveness, did what DW told them they were going to do. They will also try to tell you that it will take more than overnight to get the card to you. That is not so. If they want you can get the new card the next day. If they do not want to accommodate you and get you a new card overnight and at your location find another provider.

Because DW does a lot of traveling, much of it out of country, and I still do some, it seems we go through this once a year or so. The inconvenience has become just a minor blip on our day's events. Unfortunately, there are a lot of scum bags out there that can get access to your numbers.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Yes it was a bogus card reader at the pump. Best fix to not get hit with that would be to jiggle the area where you swipe the card or just have it swiped inside. But it was caught VERY fast before too much was tried to be taken. It was minutes from when the number was taken to when the card was cut off.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #11

We recently had my wifes card compromised. Have still not worked out how but we received a late night call from Amazon.com saying they had detected a fraudulent transaction.
We immediately checked our checking account and it had been wiped out to the tune of about $3,000 (all online transactions).
We immediately contacted the sellers and got ALL of the transactions stopped and cancelled the cards.
It turned out the items were to be shipped to someone in the next subdivision. A call to the local police followed. Still waiting on a resolution but all it cost us was a few days without our cards.
The woman "claimed" she had been asked to act as a mailing address and to forward the goods to someone in africa. A likely story!!! but if true, how dumb can you get??? She had even used her real name
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
#1 rule for us, never ever let the cc or debit card get out of sight.
If we have to go to the counter to present a cc, my wife stays at the counter watching it until i am done

last place we filled up, she went in side and told them we were filling up more than $100 and could they turn it on to run until i stopped, the clerk did and never took the card until time to pay

we stopped using Loves because they became tyrants about holding a card on the desk, which lets any one have access to it
We also rarely use truck stops,
I am pretty good at getting into fuel lanes at other stores,
Mostly i just do a second scan to get more than $100.
I also call my bank before our trips and have them adjust the max limit on our debit card to 200. It still never does. So i just do a second scan.
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #13

We have been swiping the card a second time at the pump. Usually that works if we haven't let the tank get below 1/3. We have also have gone in and had them put $100 on the card, authorize the pump and then take our card back with us. Recently, we got an RV Plus card for Pilot/ Flying J that has no single purchase limit. We're hoping that solves our problem of having to go inside. We never leave our card, have only ever used our American Express card and they have been wonderful to deal with relating to potential fraud.
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post
The woman "claimed" she had been asked to act as a mailing address and to forward the goods to someone in africa. A likely story!!! but if true, how dumb can you get??? She had even used her real name
Very common and the woman was used. She didn't even realize it's a scam that she's helping with.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas