Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gas Class A's with Tows - where do you gas up?

We are still currently on our two week shake down trip that was supposed to end yesterday, sidelined by a generator that decided to get cranky in the crazy summer heat. Can't run without AC with our furry kids inside.

We have learned so much, and still have so much to learn about our couch & RVing in general, but one thing is really bothering us and we're hoping we can get some input.

We have a 37 foot Pace Arrow, and we are towing a Jeep Liberty. For those who have a larger gas rig that tow, any suggestions on places to gas up?

We have found that even the trailer plaza's that cater to truckers don't really have a lot of room in their gas areas. It's making us think longer term that diesel would be better for traveling a lot, just for the convenience of being able to use a truck lane. (there are other things too, but we still think we made the right choice for our first rig!)

Anyway - if anyone has any suggestions on brands that may cater to the gas RV's that can't back up, we sure would love to know!
geekyexplore is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2011, 12:29 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I like the RV lanes at Flying J gives plenty of room.
High Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:40 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We are 39' plus the Toad. I use Costco, and Truck Stops like Flying J, Loves, etc. with no problem.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Big rigs with toad are always a challenge... but big gassers have it much tougher because of the problems you mention as well as more rear end "swing out" usually present on long gassers. I would suggest that you begin to fill up a bit more frequently than you otherwise might by taking advantage of wherever you see easy access to gas. I certainly wouldn't put a lot of weight on this factor to justify the purchase of a diesel however. You'll get much more comfortable as time goes on and be able to get in and out of tight places without the sweat it now produces.

Fueling diesel rigs at truck stops isn't always a walk in the park. Being sandwiched in between semis and walking through spilled diesel, and in some cases paying more per gallon at the truck pumps than at the auto diesel pumps call all serve to balance things out.

Best of luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:37 PM   #5

After you become comfortable with your rig you will be suprised what places you can squze through. I'm 34 ft pulling a toad and the pick quicks and 7 elevens don't give me to much consern . you just need to plan your exit before you enter the gas station.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As an alternative to going diesel, how about simply unhook, fuel, and re hook and go?
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a 35 ft pace and pull a honda.One trick we have learned is to look for a station in the toad. When we find one, on the day of our departure, my wife follows me to the station. I pull in gas up and then hook up. If there is enough room, I hook up the toad while the tank is filling.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
This has long been a challenge, exacerbated since stations started being designed with the pumps facing the building.

All I can suggest, from our class A gasser experience, is - start looking for a station at 1/2 tank, don't wait until the need is critical to avoiding a long walk. Be prepared to pull right back onto the interstate about 1/2 the time you pull off for gas. We would also record exits and stations we found that could accomodate us for return trips on that same route. Unfortunately, we found that the exit directories are really talking about diesel trucks when they list a station as "big rig friendly" - of no use to a gasser. The Flying J's were usually a good bet, IF there was one on our route, where and when we needed one.

It's all part of the RV adventure.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #9
paz

Since we have a longer gasser and toad, I usually like to try to use the RV lanes at Flying J when available. Where there is no Flying J available, I use Gas Buddy or MSN Autos to locate gas stations ahead of time along our route near where I think we will need gas. Then I use Google Maps to get an aerial view to see how big the stations are so you can plan how you are going to get in and out. MSN Autos also has an aerial view, but Google Maps is a larger view, and I also use Google Maps Street View when it's available to get an actual look at the gas station.

As melvonnar says, with experience you will know by looking where you can fit, and you will be able to fit places you didn't think you could.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:55 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekyexplore View Post
We are still currently on our two week shake down trip that was supposed to end yesterday, sidelined by a generator that decided to get cranky in the crazy summer heat. Can't run without AC with our furry kids inside.

We have learned so much, and still have so much to learn about our couch & RVing in general, but one thing is really bothering us and we're hoping we can get some input.

We have a 37 foot Pace Arrow, and we are towing a Jeep Liberty. For those who have a larger gas rig that tow, any suggestions on places to gas up?

We have found that even the trailer plaza's that cater to truckers don't really have a lot of room in their gas areas. It's making us think longer term that diesel would be better for traveling a lot, just for the convenience of being able to use a truck lane. (there are other things too, but we still think we made the right choice for our first rig!)

Anyway - if anyone has any suggestions on brands that may cater to the gas RV's that can't back up, we sure would love to know!
We use Pilot/Flying J(Pilot bought out Flying J) when we can. We are diesel, but their RV lanes have gas also and are pull-through so you don't have to back up. Some other truck stops have RV lanes also. For regular gas stations, I would look for ones that have pumps that are parallel to the office and use the outside lane, might work on newer stations because they have more room. Can really be a problem in a lot of places though.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:26 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use the Flying J RV lanes and have never had a problem. Sure every once in a while you'll get someone parking where there not supposed to when you try and exit which can make it a little tight but it all works out. I like the convenience of their services besides the gas they have the convenience store, restaurant, overnite rv parking in a designated area out front, dump facility and list can go on. All and all I think they have some services that the rv'er can use. I know we do. We for one always stay overnite when we're on the road. Well I could go on and on but I guess you would have to try it for yourself. Hope this helps and good luck.
Happy Motoring!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Plan ahead, scope out the stations prior to running on empty. We have traveled with a 35' + toad for over 10 yrs, never ran into a situation we cannot handle. Yes we have fueled-up, then connected toad. Follow the rule of 7 "P's" and you won't have a problem.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:16 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Flying J RV lanes are our 1st choice. Next we'll go for most any travel plaza. After that, we look for stations that have the pumps parallel to the store. Last, if perpendicular pumps are our only choice, we go for the pumps on the ends.

The main thing is don't let your tank get too far down before you start looking or you'll be trying to shoeshorn into a station to keep from running out.

You'll get more comfortable with maneuvering with time & practice.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:24 PM   #14
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Throughout my travels with my MH and toad, I stop at any gas station whenever I need to refuel but ensuring first that I can maneuver my way out. I have used Shell, Mobil, Chevron and of course, Pilot/Flying J and TA truck stops. Every now and then, I have to wait for other vehicles to get out of my way. It's doable and as what some of the posters said, you need to start looking for a gas station when you're about the halfway mark of your gas gauge.
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas