Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-11-2012, 06:58 AM   #15
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
For quality Class C's check out Lazy Daze and Born Free.
Motorhome Dealer | Low Profile Motorhome | RV Manufacturer | Quality Motorhome
Born Free Class C Motorhome

P30, 454 ENG, TURBO 400 TRANS
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2012, 06:58 AM   #16
Since you like the Winnebago class C's on the sprinter chassis, but would consider a gasser of equal quality, have you looked at the gas class C's from Winnebago / Itasca?. These appear to be on a Ford V-10 chopped van chassis.

Originally Posted by BlueGekko View Post
... My real question is, if the boss cries on my shoulder enough, which gasser Class C units would the forum members recommend? As I mentioned earlier, I wasn't impressed by the fit and finish of the Four Winds showroom model so I was wondering if I can expect that level of quality from most gassers? Hope that clarifies my problem.

George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:02 AM   #17
Take a look at Phoenix Cruiser in Elkhart, IN. We're on our 3rd due to upgrading and believe they're built as good as any. And the factory service is outstanding if you need it.
They build on Ford or Mercedes chassis and are in the size class you're looking at.
However, if you need the cabover bunk, that may rule them out.
Bob (Squidly Down Under) & Peg - 2013 Ford Focus pushing a 2011 Phoenix Cruiser 2552S
"In God we trust" to preserve our country and bring our Troops safely home.
Carry on, regardless..................
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:14 AM   #18
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gotta put in my pitch for Winnebago. We have a '05 Aspect 26A, which they don't make in that size anymore. However I think they do make a 28' and 31".
We looked at the Navion/View models and while I liked them, my biggest objection was the narrow "stance". They wobble like crazy from side to side when parked because of this (in my opinion). This would drive me crazy!
The Aspect is very solid and well built. My advice is to buy a used one rather than new and save yourself a lot of money and heartache because all the bugs have usually been worked out.
The Aspect doesn't have a rugrat room over the cab however, if you need that, consider the Access.
Burns & Diane
2005 Winnebago Aspect 26A/2012 Subaru Impreza toad
Illinois! - Where the politicians make the license plates......
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #19
Full disclosure:
1. I do not own a Winnebago.
2. My wife and I traveled cross country with a couple who had just purchased a new Winnebago Via, which is a small class A built on the Sprinter chassis.
3. I have been a fan of the View/Navion since they hit the market.

Observed weaknesses:
1. All tanks are small. Fuel stops are frequent. Holding tanks require dumping often.
2. weight carrying capacity is limited.
3. No OEM jack system. HWH has one that is engineered for the Sprinter.

Observed strengths:
1. 15 mpg is realistic. Our friends regularly got 13-14 towing a Saturn Vue and over 15 with no tow. This was with a new engine.
2. It is small enough to use for most local trips so towing is not strictly necessary.
3. Much more camp site availability due To small size.

Although there were new coach and first year model issues, Winnebago fit and finish are good.

I would look for a lightly used View/Navion and not worry about a change in service requirements. This would free up funds for a leveling system or other modifications.
Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #20
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I bought a new Class A motorhome I found that the same floorplan and quality would cost me $40,000 more for a diesel rig. I chose gas. Most gas rigs should last well over 100,000 miles and in fact Workhorse advertised in writing that their gas engine was good for 200,000 miles. At 7,500 miles per year for 15 years you are only driving 112,500 miles You will never wear a gas engine out. Also consider that you are more likely to drive less miles after the first few. Also consider that fuel will go up from your estimates over 15 years. If you are going full time then think "heavily" about the carrying capacity of the RV of your choice. I personally would not full time with less than 3,000 pounds of carrying capacity. Also think about whether this carrying capacity includes full tanks and at least two people or if it has to be subtracted from their number.
Doug Sage
Full timers roaming the good old US of A
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 38J
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #21
Originally Posted by BlueGekko View Post
We're going to upgrade from a 21' camper van to a 24' something in the coming months. I've had my eye on a View or Navion. Went to an RV show this weekend and the Camping World rep advised that we'd get a better deal buying a gasser even though I could expect only 10 mpg versus 17 mph for a diesel. Said that, due to new requirements from Mercedes, Mercedes based diesels must be serviced ONLY by Mercedes dealers - can't be serviced by Freightliner or any other shop that handles diesels. Anyone heard of this? Also, since we're now looking at gassers, I've noticed that the fit and finish of several show room models (Four Winds especially) are much less than what I'd expected from a new unit. Does it seem to be true that the diesels seem to be built better than the gassers? Any recommendations of 24' gassers to look into or to avoid? We're in our 60s so expect this to be our last RVd and hope to keep it on the road for 10-15 yrs. Thanks for any recommendations and responses.
Buy the floorplan that you like the best, as you move up the food chain the fit and form will get a lot better from an entry level model to the higher end manufacturers. Like comparing a Four Winds (entry level) to a Winnie. If you plan on keeping it for 10-15 years then go for the diesel if you will driving a lot of miles during the year. If just doing weekend trips and yearly vacations then a gas engine will last as you are not putting on a lot of mileage over the years. A diesel shines on its durability, the diesel engine will outlast the motorhome. Only using Mercedes Benz dealers could be due to the Sprinter chassis and engine being made by Mercedes Benz so any factory chassis or engine maintenance would be done by Mercedes Benz. Really no different that going to an Allison Transmission dealer, Freightliner or Cummins dealer for maintenance or warranty work on their products.
buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #22
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
I would check your fuel calculations again using 13 -14 mpg as your max. You will do less and occasionally more.

Here's another issue.....The Sprinter's are just at a size that you have a tough decision to either tow a SMALL car everywhere or break camp everytime you want to go sight seeing. I would spend some serious time sitting in and moving around in one at a dealer. They arn't much larger than a slide in camper. As most get older, they're looking for something to at least sit and vist with another couple.......
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:08 AM   #23
Good information and advice from everyone. I hadn't considered the tow or storage space issues. Though I fell in love with the diesel Sprinter versions, it looks like I'd be better served by a newly used gasser. And I'll have to keep buying my lottery tickets

BlueGekko is offline   Reply With Quote