Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #1

gas/diesel argument

We're going to upgrade from a 21' camper van to a 24' something in the coming months. I've had my eye on a View or Navion. Went to an RV show this weekend and the Camping World rep advised that we'd get a better deal buying a gasser even though I could expect only 10 mpg versus 17 mph for a diesel. Said that, due to new requirements from Mercedes, Mercedes based diesels must be serviced ONLY by Mercedes dealers - can't be serviced by Freightliner or any other shop that handles diesels. Anyone heard of this? Also, since we're now looking at gassers, I've noticed that the fit and finish of several show room models (Four Winds especially) are much less than what I'd expected from a new unit. Does it seem to be true that the diesels seem to be built better than the gassers? Any recommendations of 24' gassers to look into or to avoid? We're in our 60s so expect this to be our last RVd and hope to keep it on the road for 10-15 yrs. Thanks for any recommendations and responses.
BlueGekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi BlueGekko,
The fit and finish is the manufacturer and the materials they use. The people on the assembly line don't care if the coach is powered by gas, or diesel. Based on the information you have provided, consider staying with a diesel powered coach. There are plenty of choices with a Cummins or Cat engine. Focus on the floor plan. The floor plan sells the coach. My recommendation to stay with diesel power is your age and the time (10-15 years) you want to use the coach. At a high level, a diesel engine and chassis will need an annual service visit and that is about it. The diesel will haul more weight. This means you can have a coach with more amenities and one can carry more stuff.

Go to http://www.newmarcorp.com/ and view the floor plans for a variety of gas and diesel coaches.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
The mileages per gallon you were told is wishful thinking and not much more.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #4

BG: Where do you live and where/when do you expect to operate the MH? I mention this because diesels can be a bit tricky at low temps.

The coldest that I have operated mine in is about 25 degrees, and that was no problem.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are a number of considerations, RE: gas vs. diesel. The initial outlay for a diesel is considerable more than for a gas powered MH, the upkeep and maintenance is more, as well, never mind the cost of diesel over gasoline, and this doesn't appear to be going down in price anytime soon. True, the diesel should last longer; I would never live long enough to wear one out, but the new generation of gas engines, if taken care of, will last a very long time with just regular maintenance. The diesel will ride better due to the frame design, so it would matter whether or not you would be on the road for long periods of time and for long distances. In the final analysis, the decision is yours, but I would recommend talking to owners of each and get additional information to aid in the decision-making process. Good luck with whatever you purchase!

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
The mileages per gallon you were told is wishful thinking and not much more.
I agree. Don't trust what sales people tell you about MPG. I've had both gasser and diesel and my experience is that diesel carries the weight better.
alba07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If service is REQUIRED to be done by Mercedes then they have to pay all costs associated with it. This is covered by the Moss-Magnusson Act.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
BlueGekko....Realistically, the only diesel coach that you'll find in the length that you want are the newer Class "C" and now some Class "A"'s on the Sprinter chassis. They're pretty expensive for what you're getting (JMHO) and the mileage is in the 12-14 mpg range, with 15 on a good day.

You have to decide what you need, but I would probably buy a GOOD Quality gas unit for about $30,000.00 less than a Sprinter and use the savings to buy a ton of gas.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #9
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
If service is REQUIRED to be done by Mercedes then they have to pay all costs associated with it. This is covered by the Moss-Magnusson Act.
Is it just service and / or Warranty work??
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TW View Post
Is it just service and / or Warranty work??
All service work, if required to be done only at a manufacturers dealer or any parts required to be used that are OEM only are to be provided free to the purchaser.
Do a search on Google for the Moss-Magnusson Warranty Act.
Quote:
(15 U.S.C. 2302(C)(c) Prohibition on conditions for written or implied warranty; waiver by Commission No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if: (1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and (2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest. The Commission shall identify in the Federal Register, and permit public comment on, all applications for waiver of the prohibition of this subsection, and shall publish in the Federal Register its disposition of any such application, including the reasons therefor.
So I guess it is possible to request and receive a waiver.
Do the Google search for more info as this is all I have saved since it was for another question.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #11
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Mr_D
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:28 AM   #12

fit and finish redux

Thanks for all who responded. I didn't know about the act requiring Mercedes to pay for the service. Good to know. I guess I didn't explain my position clearly enough in my first post. When we upgrade, it'll be to a Class C. I expect we'll do no more than 7500 miles per year and hope to keep the unit for the next 10-15 yrs. I have worked out the fuel figures for a 10 mpg gasser vs a 17 mpg diesel and, all other things being equal, the diesel will save us around $900 per year, based on diesel remaining at the present $4.25/gal. From these forums and others as well as talking to RV reps, I understand that the best mpg I can hope for in a gasser is 10 mpg. I've already had my eye on the Winnie View/Itasca Navion and a Gulfstream unit. My real question is, if the boss cries on my shoulder enough, which gasser Class C units would the forum members recommend? As I mentioned earlier, I wasn't impressed by the fit and finish of the Four Winds showroom model so I was wondering if I can expect that level of quality from most gassers? Hope that clarifies my problem.
BlueGekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:08 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think some are speed reading again. In the OP's original post he mentions that he is looking at the View or Avion which ARE Class C units on the Sprinter chassis. I don't know what Mercede's rules are but you probably best contact them on what their requirements are regarding the service of that chassis. Best to get that info from the horses mouth. Regarding fit and finish I don't know as previously mentioned why there would be a difference in quality between gas or diesel coming from the same manufacturer. It really should be the same with either. The quality of work would more be related to different coach builders. For the miles you indicate per year and the time you expect to keep the unit I would suspect that the diesel rig would benefit you more at resale time down the road. Can't speak about what they told you for mileage between the two, it would probably be best to post that type of question over in the forum that handles these units and see if someone there can offer their experience with the mpg. If you didn't like what you have seen from Four Winds then research the other ones available and make a decision from there. JMHO Good Luck and I hope you find the unit that suits you best and be able to have a great traveling experience.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:53 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
The sprinter based units are nice. They typically have a very high build quality, too.

But they are terribly expensive.

And they are terribly weight limited. There is a current issue motorhome magazine article, comparing a B, C, and A built on the sprinter. They pretty much have no CCC at all.

$120k for a class C with 1250 lb CCC?
You can get a Ford chassis gas 24 footer with 3500 lb CCC for 65k...
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote