Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #1

Gas or Diesel

Guys,

I am still in the process of buying a Class A but this is the deal. I will be driving from Houston to Alaska at the end of May pulling a Dodge Caliber. Many people are telling me that i need a Diesel. However, i keep watching guys driving Gas pulling a race car trailer going to the races from the main land.

I appreciate your input in advance,

thanks,MMM1976....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #2

If someone owns a gas they'll say gas if someone owns a diesel they'll say diesel.

Buy what you like and what is in your budget and be happy.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
The bottom line here is that you will buy and drive what ever your wallet will let you, you can do anything with a gas engine, but with a diesel you are going to do it easier and with more comfort.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
The bottom line here is that you will buy and drive what ever your wallet will let you, you can do anything with a gas engine, but with a diesel you are going to do it easier and with more comfort.
you can do anything with a gas engine, but with a diesel you are going to do it easier and with more comfort.....This answer the whole thing.....Thanks!!!
Old 03-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #5

MMM, what is the weight of the caliber? The class A RVs I look at have a 5K rating where the DP hitches were 9K.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #6

Depends on if you buy something that has good driving dynamics or something with severe design defects.

There are some nice driving gas rigs on the 24k and 26k Ford chassis. If you buy something cheap, old and on an overloaded chassis with poor wheelbase and huge rear overhang, then good luck to you.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #7

It depends. How much weight do you tow? Most Class A's are rated for 5K lbs. Most diesel's are rated for 10K lbs.

The gas engines have less torque than a diesel, so you will climb the mountains a little slower.

Gas engines will get 5-8 mpg. Diesel engines will get 7-10 mpg. Factor in the price difference of gas at about $3.85/ gal and diesel at $4.25/ gal. Do the math.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi MMM1976,
The three decisions about a coach and who makes the decisions are:
1. floor plan = wife or female partner
2. will it carry all our stuff (weight not space) = husband or male partner
3. will it tow the vehicle I want to tow (weight) = husband or male partner
For #3, one must consider the hitch rating and the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR).

If your coach will pass these tests, you have a winner. Enjoy
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #9

Rent some. It'll come to ya

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #10

I did the math in the past and it can get complicated. Unless you're flat towing something in the 4500lb and higher range most of the interior options available in sub to low 200K diesel rigs are available in gas for on average 50K less from the same manufacturer. Now to make some assumptions.

You're buying new and not considering a new gas rig against a used diesel rig.

12 -14 is on the high side for diesel pusher mileage so lets shoot for the moon and give the diesel a 16 mpg rating.

We'll give the gas rig a 7 mpg rating which is an average of what I've seen for MPG estimates for largish gas rigs. IMO it's also a bit optimistic as an average but it will make the point.

We'll shoot high on the mileage per year and use the automotive standard of 12K per year.

Diesel = 12000/16 = 750 gallons per year

Gas = 12000miles/7mpg = 1715 gallons per year

Now I'll be really nice and assume that diesel and gas cost the same at 4.00 because it gives the diesel another advantage.

750 * 4 = $3000.00

1715 * $4 = $6860.00

AND I'll ignore the fact that diesels cost at minimum 200.00 more a year in maintenance to operate when factoring oil changes and emissions fluid and call that a wash.

This hands the diesel a cost savings per year of 3860.00.

We'll assume the gas rig requires a 75K/100K tune up (timing belt, hoses, belts, plugs, water pump and labor) = 1600

We'll also assume the transmission on the gas rig requires at least one rebuild and we'll assume that it's a worst case grenade scenario that requires a completely new transmission and torque converter plus labor = 5000.00

Assume a cost difference of 50K,

factoring in the added 6600.00 in repairs to the gas rig and assuming none for the diesel. You would need to operate the diesel 11 years at 12K a year to break even.

Lets factor in trade in allowance or resale. Diesels cost more so they trade for more. As the rigs age the diesel will stabilize in value while the gas will continue to depreciate at a slightly slower rate.

So, handing the diesel all these advantages and throwing in increased trade in / resale value, from a financial standpoint you will need to plan on owning the diesel rig for eight to ten years before you can realistically expect to break even on the added cost. The time frame will depend on just how much of a difference there is in depreciation, miles driven, cost of fuel etc but it is safe to say that anyone who plans on keeping a diesel rig for five years or less will never recoup the price difference in cost of operation.

Of course if you enjoy the ability to effortlessly drive through mountains, tow what you want, haul what you want, and do so with less noise and vibration then a diesel pusher is the way to go. For some, bragging rights don't hurt either. Just realize how long you'll have to keep the rig to recoup the added cost ;-)

Throw luxury into the equation and now you're getting into subjectivity and that sets you up for a greater loss potential. Gas rigs can't haul around marble floors, 4 inch thick granite counter tops, residential furniture and maintain a good CCC. That's why ultra lux is diesel only territory. The problem is that items that are exclusive today may be standard, obsolete or worse considered a detriment when it comes time to trade in that luxury unit. Of course when you're talking luxury the whole idea of cost goes out the window and it's an exercise of desire over logic.

However, based on your thread so far I'll assume you're not in the market for a ultra lux 45 foot tag unit :-)
Old 03-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #11

Gas or Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Maybe, maybe not. you may well go up with more comfort. But you need add ons to come down in a diesel as easy as you can come down in a gasser.

Terry and Shay, Lazy Campers
terryallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #12

Dude - everyone should be in a 40' diesel pusher. We all know that.

Oh wait - you said you see gas powered MH's towing cars.

Yikes I will not even mention all the 5th wheels I see.

Lots of gas MH's now have 22.5 inch wheels. The chassis has been improved and the engine improved a little.

If money is not an object get a diesel pusher. If money is an object get the gasser.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryallan View Post
Maybe, maybe not. you may well go up with more comfort. But you need add ons to come down in a diesel as easy as you can come down in a gasser.
I don't understand your post here? go up what with more comfort? and what do I need to add-on to come down? come down from what??????
Old 03-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGuy View Post
I did the math in the past and it can get complicated. Unless you're flat towing something in the 4500lb and higher range most of the interior options available in sub to low 200K diesel rigs are available in gas for on average 50K less from the same manufacturer. Now to make some assumptions.

You're buying new and not considering a new gas rig against a used diesel rig.

12 -14 is on the high side for diesel pusher mileage so lets shoot for the moon and give the diesel a 16 mpg rating.

We'll give the gas rig a 7 mpg rating which is an average of what I've seen for MPG estimates for largish gas rigs. IMO it's also a bit optimistic as an average but it will make the point...

However, based on your thread so far I'll assume you're not in the market for a ultra lux 45 foot tag unit :-)

I have to admit, your assumptions really had me going until I read the whole post. Nice job!

Koop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas