Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2016, 11:41 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by narampa View Post
My hat goes off to you. I hope I'm still walking at 76.
But don't you feel overwhelmed ?
Thank you very much sir!

It's interesting that you mention walking because that, actually balance, is my biggest problem because of neuropathy in my lower legs and feet. It's beginning to interfere with one of my favorite activities, bow hunting for elk. I guess when that door closes there will always be another to open, which was some of my reasoning behind learning the sax.

And yes, I do feel overwhelmed, but all of the "stuff" has had a place in our lives for many years and is difficult to part with.
__________________________________________________ _______________

".how about 12 cyl Jaguar (I love the thing!)? You HAVE TO remove a/c compressor (and the belts!) in order to change two spark plugs!"

There was a time when I thought I wanted one of those, now I'm glad we settled for a 6 cylinder Spitfire 20+ years ago. There are always unknowns, but if we love whatever it is we learn to work around those that are undesirable, I guess?

Thank you very much for all of the enlightenment you have provided for me. There was a point in my life when I could have gone in the direction you chose with the Navy's Navcad program.

Our boat is only close to half the size of yours and even waxing it is a daunting proposition, as is the MH. I know the feeling, only in a somewhat smaller way :-))
__________________________________________________ _______________

IMHO, diesels are diesels and gas is gas, regardless of what they are pulling or pushing, they just change in size and cost follows. I don't really know, but I'm thinking the owners of all those 18 wheelers, Fed Ex, and UPS vehicles know what they're doing. For the same kind of use I would follow their lead, and I did for 35 years with what I would consider to be good results. Again IMHO, gas fits a somewhat different niche, but can be made to cross over. It's whatever works best for you.

I have learned a lot from this thread. My thanks to narampa for starting it.

All the best.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2016, 12:20 PM   #30

Great thread! I love reading everyone's responses, and you are all correct.
I love the grunt of a diesel. If you are full timing, moving a lot, and towing, especially in the hills, it would be hard to not look at a diesel.
If you camp a few times a year, rarely tow anything over 3000 lbs, a diesel would be expensive and perhaps hard to justify.
You have to be honest with yourself about how often and in what manner you are going to use your coach, and how deep your pockets are.
Leardriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:38 PM   #31

RV Trip Wizard
One of the reasons I really like our Freightliner based super C is that the engine compartment is easy accessible, and the ISC gives us all the "oomph" and durability we need. Nobody needs to get into the house to work under the hood.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:43 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well it sure fun reading everyone else life which sound like my own. Had boats - lots of them both single and double gas and diesel really liked the twin turbo cats in the 47' avanti. Never had to replace a diesel in a boat but did wear out 454's and 350's. Do have a 12 cyl XKE and love/hate working on it.
Have several older motorcycles and love wrenching them but hate working on my sportster.
for my MH I jump directly into a Diesel because I like the 5.9 isb. When I have work done on it my me or others it becomes very simple to lift the bed undo 8 bolts holding down the fire wall and stand on the engine or sit under it with full accessibility to every part. Just lay down drop cloths to protect the floor. The rear of the MH bumpber comes off with four bolts and the entire radiator assembly is easily removed it ever needs to be removed.

Like many on this list I am getting older. Now 75 but still able to do what I did 20 years ago --- well almost --- don't chase women any more, got my own for 30 years. but other that that still ride my dirt bikes, run the HD to limit when there is space and when the Jag is finished being overhauled probably will run it to the limit too.

Just took the MH down here to FL first leg drove from Jersey 5AM to 6:30 PM Pooler GA -- don't let age get you just keep on trucking - the end comes when it comes.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:10 PM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
Foretravel Owners Club
After maintaining and repairing diesels all my life I bought a gasser because of easier routine maintenance and parts availability.
I also want to give the whole tier 4 emissions issue a couple of years to grow. I like the 10 minute oil change and easy transmission maintenance on the ford, and the power on the new units a lot easier to live with. After putting over 11000 miles on the unit since August 2015 towing a Honda accord station wagon on a dolly I have no regrets, I made the right choice for me.
Mrfix
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:21 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Great question: why did we buy a dp?
We wanted air suspension, power to get up hills, a coach that drove like a p/u.
We had a gasser and wanted something in the 40' range.
Maybe the best quick answer is they don't make a 40' gasser even if we wanted one.
But that's just us.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:29 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
Great question: why did we buy a dp?
We wanted air suspension, power to get up hills, a coach that drove like a p/u.
We had a gasser and wanted something in the 40' range.
Maybe the best quick answer is they don't make a 40' gasser even if we wanted one.
But that's just us.
39'-11" is pretty close to 40'. Look at some of the Newmar Canyon Stars.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:42 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Is the motor in the back?
We like that a ton also?
So a better question maybe why a 40'+ over a shorter coach?
In reality it would seem most gasses are in the 35' range, and most dp are in the 40+ range.
True?
Old 02-15-2016, 10:45 PM   #37

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
TMan59, I have a 37' HR on a workhorse chassis with the Allison 6 speed. I pull mountain passes at 50 out here on the Left coast. If I wanted to go faster I would install an ATI blower. I have had my gremlins to work through (broken coil harness wire) and have had it into several mechanics. The thought of having a greasy mechanic working in my bedroom isn't too appetizing to me. But that is just me! Diesels do give nice smooth power however. I do like the new Freightliners like Miller205 has though.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:23 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielsand View Post
I lived the "life of danger/action", and I miss it. I get bored easily (I don't watch TV, news depress me, politics disgust me, and I'm not religious). I NEED to have "something to do" at all times, and the ONLY time I sit still, is early in the morning, when I'm on the web. According to my wife (who is professional), I am hopelessly OCD, but to ME, that's "normal".

I'll be 61 later this year, and my body looks like I'm 40, but it doesn't feel that way in the evening. As long as I'm on the move, there are no pains (brain blocks them in the heat of "action"), but at night.......it's painfully obvious that all that action in the uniform (and out of it) took it's toll. When I was in my 30s (and in the midst of some well known conflicts), I never thought I will live to be 40 (and I was OK with that). Faith tricked me, and there is a distinct possibility I might even hit 80! And THAT frightens me.

I don't take ANY medication, and the adrenaline produced by my body is what I "self medicate" with. I am afraid of "simple life", and boredom. Working with machinery relaxes me. Diagnosing/solving problems keeps me sharp, and the brain working.

I am not attached to any of my possessions, and I agree it's "just stuff". But this "stuff" keeps me occupied, and somewhat "sane" (wife would disagree with "sane" ).
FWIW - Have you ever thought about getting into something like machining model engines? It's physical, the concentration is there and it takes skill but you are working with ounces instead of pounds. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:05 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW - Have you ever thought about getting into something like machining model engines? It's physical, the concentration is there and it takes skill but you are working with ounces instead of pounds. ;-)
I restore guns and Rolex watches (among other things). That's easy, and tedious machinery.

It's funny to read everyone's responses, and most of them sound like I would write them. We all think we are "individual", and "special"....turns out there are MANY people out there that do and live just as we do, and come up to similar conclusions/decisions as we do.

Bikes, airplanes, fine cars, fine watches, guns, .....I guess even single malt, and fine cigars too?

Why DP? Because "we wanted 40' (or more), more torque, more climbing power, engine in the rear, diesel grunt, airbrakes......." And because we can. I wanted to be as close to a commercial bus as I can get (was even considering converting one that's set up as a "party coach"). I didn't want to be pushed around by the OTR trucks (or passed by them on the grade!).

Forgot to mention......I HATE slides (I don't like transformers either), and I wanted more room (hence going from 34' to 40'). My next one will be 45'.

One more thing. Since I like vintage (everything!),......vintage gassers are UGLY (to me). They are built on the short wheelbase (huge overhang!), their big bodies are stuck on the tiny wheels with axles that are too narrow for the body.......and the handling is crap. Another thing I can't do, is press board cabinets (covered with plastic stickers to simulate wood! ), with hardwood lids/drawers. No "leatherette" either.

So,....looking for a 40'+ vintage DP, I narrowed it down to either Prevost, or Vogue. I got the Vogue (it was "cheap"....no payments, just the way we like it!), and I love it! It's unique looking (beautiful), and on the inside it looks like a yacht (even has a "porthole"!). I'm happy,.....for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PrimaVista.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	119147  
Danielsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:42 AM   #40

[QUOTE=So,....looking for a 40'+ vintage DP, I narrowed it down to either Prevost, or Vogue. I got the Vogue (it was "cheap"....no payments, just the way we like it!), and I love it! It's unique looking (beautiful), and on the inside it looks like a yacht (even has a "porthole"!). I'm happy,.....for now. [/QUOTE]

I'd love to see some pics of the inside!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:01 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
I'd love to see some pics of the inside!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f58/the-l...ht-277676.html

The pics in this thread, are the pics from the add (by the dealer), that made me drive 800 miles one way to look at her. She looks WAY better now (after three days of interior detailing, wife's decorations, and the new runners). Upholstery looks crappy in these pictures, but it's brand new, with leaf/fall motif (colors we like). Front seats look cracked in these pictures, but the "cracks" are actually folds of real leather (not plastic) that were dirty! Cleaned up like new. I am in the process of removing the TV up front (replacing it with the custom bar). Next is removing the starboard couch, and replacing it with the cabinet/desk, hiding motorized 46" LCD screen. Day/night shades are like new, and the wood turned new after Murphy's, and orange oil (it looks great in these pictures, but WAY better in person).
Danielsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:50 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut View Post
TMan59, I have a 37' HR on a workhorse chassis with the Allison 6 speed. I pull mountain passes at 50 out here on the Left coast. If I wanted to go faster I would install an ATI blower. I have had my gremlins to work through (broken coil harness wire) and have had it into several mechanics. The thought of having a greasy mechanic working in my bedroom isn't too appetizing to me. But that is just me! Diesels do give nice smooth power however. I do like the new Freightliners like Miller205 has though.

I do appreciate your sharing with me why you have gas. I think that was very nice. But the op just ask why we each made the decision we did. Thinking about this last night I came to the conclusion that I am not genetically coded to worry about something breaking like that. Just isn't my nature. So far we have never had any greasey mechanics on our bed. Not something I have time to worry about. I can minimize the risk by changing the oil and doing proper maintenance.

Pass through storage, we liked that a bunch also.

Tags
diesel, gas