Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-16-2016, 08:59 AM   #43
Man, greasy mechanics are taking a beating here.

Without us, many of you would be waxing your tires in your driveway, next to all the other stuff you can't fix.

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2016, 02:45 PM   #44
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Man, greasy mechanics are taking a beating here.

Without us, many of you would be waxing your tires in your driveway, next to all the other stuff you can't fix.

No Sir, no "beating" here. I do appreciate a good, and honest mechanic. However,......there are mechanics, and there are "mechanics" (or "parts replacers"). You know what I mean.

Another thing is,.....some are VERY considerate, and some don't give a damn. I'll give you an example. My recent purchase (pic above) has white leather front seats, and white leather dash board. I understand that the coach had to be started/driven to fix the problem with Aquahot, but........if greasy shoes are worn, drop cloth should've been used, right? If one has black hands, one should not touch white leather. Same goes for the pants,....from the creeper, straight onto the seat.

And if "in the heat of the action" drop cloth, clean hands, gloves, whatever was overlooked, one should at least clean everything behind him, and deliver the vehicle IN THE SAME condition it was dropped off. Is that too much to ask?

On my coach everything cleaned good (I had to do it), but when the customer comes to pick up his ride, black marks on the carpet (they can be seen in the pics above!) and upholstery don't represent the mechanic well. Don't you think? If the mechanic doesn't care what smudges he leaves behind, how can we trust him that he cared to bolt everything back in the right way (torque, for example).

Here in CA, all "shop supplies" are added to the bill (that should include....gloves, rags, hand cleaners, lubricants, seat covers, drop cloth....etc.). We are billed that, but some of the "supplies" are not used!

In my case,.......I tried really hard to find a straight (not by sexual orientation! ), honest, and clean professional to work on my numerous vehicles (I could tell you some horror stories),....no dice. As it is,.....I do EVERYTHING except suspension, exhaust, tires, and tranny service.

When I get to old to drive or fly (I hope to die before that!), I'll get rid of all my vehicles, hire a limo, and a Lear.

No offense meant to you personally, or to your honorable profession.

Danielsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:54 AM   #45
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Had same experience with my rig. It started popping and missing going over the Siskious. I couldn't figure out what it was, even called roadside assistance reluctantly, who sent 2 guys out in a 1970's Ford pick up who told me it was my distributor! I told them that I have an 8.1 GM motor that uses coil packs to each cylinder. They left. I crippled it to Vancouver Wa. and it just didn't want to go any further. I called roadside assistance again and they had it towed to a place Called Affordable (my first sign of incompetence). They left my window open while in the shop so I had a nice layer of diesel soot all over the inside of the coach, they walked through grease and tracked it on my carpet and all over my seat, and they still didn't fix it. By this time, my mufflers were blown out and I crippled it to Brazel's in Centralia, who covered the carpet, seats, etc.. What a difference! No offense twinboat, I wrench on my own fleet of commercial diesel trucks and am a gear head as well. I went gas only because our coach had everything we were looking for and then some when it came to colors, windows, 1 piece fiberglass roof, options, miles (I never buy new) and the awesome workhorse set up with the allison 6 speed. The diesel rigs are sweet, and if I have ever have to replace the engine in mine, might even think about a conversion (duramax?) or go with the raylor forged internals and a blower (I am a hotrodder at heart), who knows.

2006 HR Admiral 37 PBD; Banks Torque Tubes; 1989 suzuki sidekick towed
gunnut is offline   Reply With Quote

diesel, gas