Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-29-2016, 02:53 PM   #15
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As far as the ability to cool, they should both be about the same.

The flame from LP or the electric heating element both supply approximately the same amount of heat to the boiler.

As for which is cheaper, if you have electricity available, use it. This will be the cheapest form of heat for the boiler.

The electric heater is cleaner than the LP burner and not as finiky, i.e. LP orifice clean, burner tubes clean, burner clean.

2001 Coachmen Mirada (Ford F53 6.8L V10) - Toad 2003 Saturn Vue.
It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2016, 03:09 PM   #16
Winnebago Owners Club
We always started two or three days before we left on gas. "Stuff" was taken out and placed in the fridge the day before we left so everything was acclimatized. Only time we used gas was when Wally docking unless the generator was on.

Our fridge seemed to be able to hold the cold so we turned it off while we were travelling. As soon as we stopped for the evening the fridge was turned on and whatever was available was used for fuel. If we were plugged in or using generator it was on electric, if no electric was available it was on gas.

Best thing for the freezer is to be full, for the chest enough space for the cool to circulate.

Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:34 PM   #17
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
It's best to cool it down before you get there ( 24 hours ). I would not use propane at a CG if I had electric.
That's what I did when I had a gas/elect refer. Plus you are paying for electric in your site fee.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:44 PM   #18
I too have the option of gas or electric. I always use elect when plugged in and I use elect from solar when I'm not. The only time I use lp is when I'm trying to conserve battery power.
MADP, Jeep, Blue Ox, SMI AFO, Solar: 900w/672a, Amish cooling unit, Lifetime: SKP & Days End
ByeTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:10 PM   #19
Monaco Owners Club
You can also freeze a few milk jugs full of water in the house freezer, and put them in the RV fridge to help cool it. But, as Waiter 21 said, both gas and electric should work the same. I use electric as I'm always plugged in at home and the fridge is always cold.

TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:24 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
One more comment ...

Note that none of this applies to residential type refrigerators only the Absorbtion type :-)

1. The electric heat source puts out same heat at same voltage no matter what the altitude is.

2. Output on 120 V is dependent on the shore power voltage, if there is low voltage ( 110 volts ) vs. normal voltage ( 120 volts ) the electric heat source output drops 15 percent, so cool down time on electric and maximum cooling capability drop if shore power voltage is low.

3. Propane burner heat source output is altitude dependent. Output drops about 4% per 1000 feet elevation change. The higher the altitude the less heat the burner produces, reducing the maximum cooling capability.

4. Below about 5,000 feet the maximum cooling capacity on Propane will be more than the maximum cooling capacity on 120 Volts AC.

5. When cooling down or when needing maximum cooling due to refrigerator doors being open and shut a lot or due to using in very hot ambient conditions, maximizing the air flow across the condenser ( the area at the top on the rear side back wall of the refrigerator with all the fins on it ) is critical. Make sure nothing is obstructing the air flow. Better not to have added a wasp screen on the inlet vent, it reduces the air flow. Buying a cheap cat flea collar and putting in the rear side bottom behind the inlet vent will repel and kill wasps and not reduce the air flow. Make sure your top vent has nothing obstructing air flow as well.
Randy - Manhattan, Kansas
2015 Vista 27N
2016 Honda HR-V
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:55 AM   #21
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We use electric all the time (inverter while driving), but the fridge doesn't know the difference. It's only looking for heat!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:13 AM   #22
My frig does not do well on electric when the a/c is on and only a 20 amp service. so when doing initial cool down and in transit I use gas. Once on 30amp I switch to electric. then gas back home. I can tell you it doesn't use a lot of propane but when on electric it uses none which it better
2013 Bullet 284RLS
2012 Silverado 5.3 4x4 w/ tow package
Husky Centerline
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:43 AM   #23
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I went to factory school on the Dometic and Norcold refrigerators. They had cutouts of cooling units that were restricted and had to be replaced. I noticed that the restrictions were right where the electric elements sat. I asked the instructor if this was caused by the heating element getting hot in a much smaller area than the gas flame area. He said the factory approach was both were equal, but he and most of the guys at the factory felt Gas was better and would prolong the life of the cooling coil. I run my refrigerator on gas almost all the time.
This is good information and enough of a reason to keep using propane. It uses so little anyway.
Burns & Diane
2005 Winnebago Aspect 26A/2012 Subaru Impreza toad
Illinois! - Where the politicians make the license plates......
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:55 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Mid Atlantic Campers
I leave mine on all the time and keep things like ketchup, mustard, and water bottles in it. I also keep some items in the freezer. I had my last trailer for 10 years and never turned the fridge off. I've had my current trailer for 10 years and only turn it off when I winterize and remove all of the food.

RKamperRV...(Rick)...Millersville, PA
2006 Crossroads Cruiser CF32BL | 2012 Ford F350 Crew Cab Dually
Been to all 48 lower continental states once! Starting over...
RKamperRV is online now   Reply With Quote