Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #15

I could probably figure out my distance from the axle, but this sounds like a fun, easy project. Not all stations are the same.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2012, 10:57 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dunner: I'm following the thread because I may want to install a camera for another reason.

But I don't have the same problem lining up with the gas nozzel. My Dolphin is 36' and the fill is located in the same place as yours. I've learned a few techniques, as I pull into a station I notice the place where the pumps are located is almost always cement as opposed to asphalt. So I just watch my rear camera and when I see the change that means I am passing the edge of where the pump begins. Another method is watching the bollisters (the stand pipes guarding the pumps) I can see them in my rear camera so I key on them and stop just past them when I see the pump come into view. Never had to go around or back up or deal with a too short hose.

But what the heck I'm always looking for another gadget and another rear camera might be fun, just not sure what I want to look at except my tow car. Maybe one that swivels so I could check out--- er, ah, scenery.

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:04 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My fill door is right behind the driver's seat. I don't have problem. I can always use some extra cameras. Can they be use for security purposes?
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:40 AM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Recently I've seen a few motorhomes with cameras mounted on the passenger side mirror mounts, looking forward. I didn't really get it at first, but now I can see just how handy they would be for maneuvering in tight quarters...
Old 09-17-2012, 05:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
Dunner: I'm following the thread because I may want to install a camera for another reason.

But I don't have the same problem lining up with the gas nozzel. My Dolphin is 36' and the fill is located in the same place as yours. I've learned a few techniques, as I pull into a station I notice the place where the pumps are located is almost always cement as opposed to asphalt. So I just watch my rear camera and when I see the change that means I am passing the edge of where the pump begins. Another method is watching the bollisters (the stand pipes guarding the pumps) I can see them in my rear camera so I key on them and stop just past them when I see the pump come into view. Never had to go around or back up or deal with a too short hose.

But what the heck I'm always looking for another gadget and another rear camera might be fun, just not sure what I want to look at except my tow car. Maybe one that swivels so I could check out--- er, ah, scenery.
Didn't you see that ebay note? "Not Sold To Perverts"

I may have been a little hasty and not tried alternative methods of lining up to the gas pumps, but hey, I'm bored and have run out of things to break, just so I have something to do by fixing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
My fill door is right behind the driver's seat. I don't have problem. I can always use some extra cameras. Can they be use for security purposes?
I had no problem with my 5er either. Just looked out the window.

I think they can be used for whatever you want as long as you have a video input and 12 volts. 170 viewing angle sounds pretty wide angle to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blag View Post
Recently I've seen a few motorhomes with cameras mounted on the passenger side mirror mounts, looking forward. I didn't really get it at first, but now I can see just how handy they would be for maneuvering in tight quarters...
I still don't get it. Is there something wrong with just looking out the front or side window. Maybe it's for people hooked on video games and can't function unless they are looking at a video screen, GPS or Smart Phone.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:43 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I still don't get it. Is there something wrong with just looking out the front or side window. Maybe it's for people hooked on video games and can't function unless they are looking at a video screen, GPS or Smart Phone.
lol, I see it in terms of maneuvering in tight spots. A mod-con that you can look down at a screen instead of getting out of the vehicle to have a look to see if you'll fit through the gap you're trying to fit through? I guess for some its down to knowing your vehicle and being spatially aware, for others it may be handy to have the gadgets that helps to prevent damaging their vehicle? Or maybe some just like to add farkles to their pride & joy??

In addition, The more I think about cameras... I'm wondering if this passenger side camera would be handy for driving a left hand drive vehicle on the "wrong side of the road" here in Ireland... Say I want to overtake a vehicle in front, but I can't see traffic coming against me because I'm on the left side seat, closest to the kerb? I guess theres pros & cons to this set up. Would I trust an iddy biddy 9" LCD screen to give me the information I need to make a safe overtake maneuver..

BTW... I dont have a camera. I haven't even driven our motorhome on the road yet so I can't comment. I'm still in the overhaul phase of my RV ownership! I'm just noticing these things on other motorhomes and wondering if they'd be beneficial or not.

Then again, my dad managed to drive this vehicle for years on narrow Irish roads without fancy mod cons like tv cameras... He did hit a few things along the way and destroyed a fair few hubcaps...
Old 09-17-2012, 07:10 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=Dunner;1311477]Didn't you see that ebay note? "Not Sold To Perverts"

It is OK I cleared it with my Proby.

But my wife said "we don't need to spend the twelve bucks right now".
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #22

I thought of it as only 12 bucks and it if don't work, I could throw it away(yeah like Dunner is going to throw anything away). I was also thinking I could put it on the back of my 20' enclosed so I could see who is tailgating me.

I found it last night, but can't find it today, about using a color camera with a black and white monitor. I hope it'll work.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I did that, some years ago (2005) and have posted about it.

Now some comments...

The camera I used is techincally a "bolt" camera, it is designed to mount in a wall or a panel, and the thing is a bolt around 3/4 inch as I recall in diamater.. The wires come out of one end and the lens is the other end the lens end has a "Ring" (head of bolt).

Drill hole, shove it througn start nut on bolt hook up orient (so up is really up) tighten bolt and start zip-tying wires in.

I could not find a matching adapter for the Rear View Monitor so I did the cut and solder bit Was easy to do,

There are 4 wires in the plug ID them as follows.

1: With monitor on A/V-B Measure voltage, one with 12 volt is power to camera.
2: One will make noise (Turn up volume) this is AUDIO leave disconnected if you wish.
3: One will cause video "Snow" when you touch it with the meter probe, That is VIDEO
4: One will show no voltage and not do anything: Ground.

Using a color camera with a B&W monitor.. (or a B&W camera with a color monitor) works just fine, no problems at all either way.. You only get black and white but hey, Thousands of people have watched Color television programs on a Black & White, and today Thousands watch Vintage B&W programs on Color TV's. so it works just fine.

My monitor is color.. I did not know that till I hooked up the camera

By the way, It works great!

Two camera search suggestions: NOTE I'm not sure I care for the prices on this page, I mean I paid 27 bucks for mine...

http://www.security-cameras-cctv.com...-Mount-Camera/

And the camera I paid 27 dollars for is simular to this one:

http://www.security-cameras-cctv.com...le-Camera.html

Which as you can see they want a whole lot more for.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #24

I have a 7x13x3" bin of salvaged electronic connectors, but I don't remember seeing anything like what I need. Will look again. I can always fabricate one.

I take it the other end of the VM goes to ground. Not sure how that is going to create noise and snow, but will try right now.

If you didn't see page 1, the camera is already on order.

BTW, my monitor is a Voyager AOM-78.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #25

wa8yxm, Did you actually test the connector or are you guessing what should be there?

I had to use a mirror, flashlight and a hat pin on an alligator clip to test the connector. I did find 12V, got a slight hum, but no snow. What kind of test leads did you use? I was going to remove the monitor, but I couldn't get to the 4th knob that held it in. I could touch it, but not turn it. Even if I could get it out, there would be no way to get it back on.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I actually tested the connector.. I simply cut the 4-pin connector off, stripped back the wires,, I DO NOT recall if one was shielded (Hint the shield is ground potential) but I do recall that I upped to volume and the one that made noise was the audio,

The one where touching the wire either with a finger or a test probem made the screen jump was video

The one that showed 12 volts on the meter was power

And that leaves ground.

I soldered on RCA type connectors (Phono) and that's how I hook up.
Eventually I'm going to add more cameras via a switch.. but not yet.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #27

The only connector I have is the one on CA1 and I'm not going to mess with it. I've just about got another connector fabricated. Was too hot in my MH to work on it this afternoon. Does upper right, 12V, and lower right, audio, sound right?
Old 09-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #28

This sounds like some silly project I'd do, just because. Add a DPDT switch and switch up the main rear cam, that way you dont need to worry about the turn signals pulling a side camera up.

You should now find an industrial laser head off eBay that also turns on when this camera is pulled up, and you can dead-center every stop you make

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, gas