Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #1

iRV2 No Limits Club
Gas Pump limits...

Question,

Do you frequently run into limits at the gas pump when you use a credit card; for that brand of gas?

The reason I asked is I took the RV to my in a local Shell Station / snack mart yesterday, which is less than a mile from my home. The Shell station was not busy, so I pulled in and began to fill-up the Motor Home. When it reached $100.00 the pump cut off. I went inside to see if there was a problem with the Shell Credit Card. They said no.

When I asked why the pump cut off the clerk had no idea. She went and found the manager, who would not talk with me. He told her to tell me to use multiple card swipes and buy all I wanted!

I e-mailed Shell and asked why they were not RV friendly.
They have not replied other than their automated acknowledgement that is computer generated.

I have not run into this with other gas cards or other places when I buy fuel. Even the grocery store gas station does not limits the ammount you can put on your credit card. I am wondering if it was just that one station or is it Shell?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't know about your location, but this is more the norm (limits) here in the DC area and other places that I've been. While it is a major inconvenience when filling the motorhome, I still understand it. I certainly wouldn't want someone who has stolen my card or card number to have a free pass at the gas station while collecting the cash (something like 0.75 on the $1). I had a similar situation while shopping with the DW at Franklin Mills Mall in PA. Charged some things at a couple stores, and then went to make a small $20-$25 charge at a kiosk, and the card had been stopped. In that case, we received an immediate call from the bank ensuring that it was truly us since it wasn't our norm. We confirmed it was us, the card was reactivated, and we were happily on our way. Again, much rather the brief inconvenience since they called us immediately, rather than having someone partying on my account... literally.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #3

This is norm. It use to be $75. and the pump will shut off. Most stations will let you swipe the same card twice. I usually end up using 2 cards to fill up.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #4

Yeah, this is the norm. The limit is usually $75 or $100.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Oldme,
Consider the PFJ charge card affiliated with Good Sam. Go to Pilot RV Plus - Program Details and read about the program. This may not help you near your house, but other than that you should be good to fuel all you want without limit.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #6

I've had that happen a lot up and down the east coast, and with different suppliers. They're trying to protect themselves from drive-offs. It frustrates me to no end because at todays' gas prices, I can exceed $75 filling my F150 truck. Know what else burns me? When a jurisdiction decides we're too stupid to know how to use the automatic shut-off tang on the fuel nozzle and you have to hold the nozzle handle for the duration of the fill up.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #7

Pilot Credit Card

I use to get PO'ed filling my GMC so I got the Pilot/Flying J fuel card and there is no limit on fuel or the pump shutting off, plus you get .4 cents off on gas and .6 cents off on diesel per gallon at the pump. When you activate your card you have a 4 digit ID number (you can change the number at your choice) that you punch in after you swipe your card. I get a monthly emailed invoice and I just send a check. S/F
Larry 1190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #8

No big deal. A second swipe is less than a minute.
And nuthin we can do about it!! :-)
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #9

I too use the Pilot/Flying J Fuel Card. The 4 cents a gallon savings and the no limit on fill ups are good advantages of the program. Another bonus is that you can park your motorhome there for a sleep break when you get tired.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #10

yep here in the Uk I can only fill up about £75-80 of LPG b4 it shuts off
Daybreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
You can also take your card inside and give them a estimate on what you will need and then they will preauthorize it for that amount. The pump will go to that amount and if you use less, that is all you are then charged.
kirk7678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol 65 View Post
I too use the Pilot/Flying J Fuel Card. The 4 cents a gallon savings and the no limit on fill ups are good advantages of the program. Another bonus is that you can park your motorhome there for a sleep break when you get tired.
A while back I used my bank card to fill up with diesel and it cut off at $100 which I expected it to do. So I went inside and they swiped the card again and I finished filling up. The next day after a lot of miles I stopped to fill up and my card was rejected. I had to use another card. After finally getting in touch with my bank they told me they had put a freeze on my card because of back to back high charges at a gas station the day before so they assumed that someone had stole my card. I now have the Flying J card and I am working on a new bank.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk7678 View Post
You can also take your card inside and give them a estimate on what you will need and then they will preauthorize it for that amount. The pump will go to that amount and if you use less, that is all you are then charged.
That is exactly what I now do. The credit card companies are trying to prevent fraud.
mcbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The limit at the p ump is set by the station and no one else. Your CC does not limit gas sales unless you have set a limit yourself.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas