Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2012, 07:08 AM   #15

If you don't enter the correct zip or pin, you don't get authorization to begin with and the transaction is cancelled. Yes, even with it, they shut off at $75 or $100. I'm not too lazy to walk inside, but I won't. As stated earlier, these guarantee services need to up their limits based on $4-5$ fuel prices.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2012, 07:31 AM   #16

I guess I am the odd man out here. I like the walk inside - it gives me a chance to uncoil, walk a bit to stretch the legs, and interact with other humans. As far as leaving the card, I will let the paranoids worry, I don't. The risk is low, and the consequences so small it is not worth worrying about. Between our rv travels and DW's regular overseas travel to less than ideal locations, it seems like we get a compromised card every year and a half or so. The cc fraud division calls, we get a new card the next morning, there is no liability to us on any of our cards, and really not much hassle.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Instead of leaving my CC with the attendant I ask to leave my drivers license. Most (but not all) will allow that.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #18

I've used the truck pump after going inside and leaving a card. I've used the truck lane and been able to use the card swipe at the pump. However, most often I use FJ's RV lane and run the card at the pump and rerun it as necessary. I don't mind the walk inside to the cashier but don't like standing in a long line while people in front of me discuss/argue with the cashier or order two hot dogs or something else.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #19

The stop limit at the pump is actually determined by the institution that is handling the credit card transaction at that particular location. It's the maximum limit that institution will reimburse a retailer if the card being used is a lost or stolen card while used at the pump.
Every retailer is to inspect their customers card and to verify that the signatures match (receipt to the back of the card) to have an (name the institution..Bank of America, Chase, Capitol One, a credit union, etc...) approved transaction. If this process is not performed and the card is stolen, the retailer can forfeit all funds for that transaction, the only exception being "pay at the pump" type transactions. Where the institution limits the amount of the transaction not based on the card holders fund limits.
That is why there are varying limits on the amount you can pump, there are hundreds of institutions that work with retailers to process their credit cards (for a hefty fee), and they tell the retailer what to set the pump at. With stolen credit cards and I.D. theft so rampant in America, a retailer would be crazy if they put the pump limits above what they are told to.

There is a trend by some institutions (sorry to keep calling them that, but they are not all banks) to allow the input of the card's billing zip code to authorize higher transaction limits, but not all are jumping on board, and some retailers are forced to wait till their current contracts are up to renegotiate. If I was the retailer and walked in and said that I wanted the zip code approval method for pay at the pump, most card processors will say sure, for an additional fee we would love to do that for you. But if the retailer waits and shops when their contract is up, fees are often much lower.
Just for perspective, a credit card contract makes a home loan look simple and easy to get out of.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
If you provide your PIN for your ATM card or you zip for your credit card do they shut you off at some pre-determined amount or can you pump til you are full?
Around here the pump won't even activate unless you enter billing zip on a CC. And you still get cut off at $95, $100, or $101 depending on the station. And most places you can't simply swipe again and start a new transaction. It's a major PITA to fill up. Found much the same in a recent trip through the Ozarks.

And like some others, I refuse to leave my CC in the possession of the felon/clerk behind the counter. If I can't fill up, I just go t another station to finish filling the tank.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine94 View Post
Around here the pump won't even activate unless you enter billing zip on a CC. And you still get cut off at $95, $100, or $101 depending on the station. And most places you can't simply swipe again and start a new transaction. It's a major PITA to fill up. Found much the same in a recent trip through the Ozarks.

And like some others, I refuse to leave my CC in the possession of the felon/clerk behind the counter. If I can't fill up, I just go t another station to finish filling the tank.
It was the same everywhere I went on a recent trip (Fl, OH, DC and back to FL). I was cut off at typically $75 or $99. I called the credit card company when I got home. The lady looked at my account and said they, Navy FCU, had never denied my card or anything. It was the service station. At one station I had to fill up my gallon gas can. That was a third transaction. I ended up using my bank card. What a pain.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #22

There is a third party involved. The credit card processor makes these decisions. The individual merchant can not have a contract with all the different banks and credit unions. They will set up the rules based on the history of the client and their average ticket amount. The credit limit would be different in a high crime area as opposed to a low crime area. The merchant has a contract with the processor. When I was a merchant, we server different ones and it is a high volume, low service business.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:28 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine94 View Post
Mine usually seems to get cut off at $99, but I have always been able to
just swipe it again, and sometimes 3 swipes in a row. Never had it
denied to swipe again, but I only go to western states.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:07 AM   #24

Birddoggin while in the perfect world and in the rules of handling a card transaction...yes the signature is to be checked. I can state for at least 2 yrs...my card has NEVER been turned over for a signature check or comparison.

The CC industry is so "in key" about fraud...a quick phone call and any fraudulent charges are handled immediately and cancellation of that said card is made. That is why I toss the attendant my card and say "I'm filling it and have no idea what it will take". I have done it for years..and never had any problem. This isn't to say it couldn't occur the next time at the station though.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
Birddoggin while in the perfect world and in the rules of handling a card transaction...yes the signature is to be checked. I can state for at least 2 yrs...my card has NEVER been turned over for a signature check or comparison.

The CC industry is so "in key" about fraud...a quick phone call and any fraudulent charges are handled immediately and cancellation of that said card is made. That is why I toss the attendant my card and say "I'm filling it and have no idea what it will take". I have done it for years..and never had any problem. This isn't to say it couldn't occur the next time at the station though.
But see, this why CC fraud is so rampant. Everybody treats it as "no big deal". Well, it is a big deal to me. Twice in the last 10 months I've had cards compromised, the last one while on our current trip to Grand Canyon. The problem is the CC processors databases get hacked, the numbers go up for sale on the internet and some low life buys them and starts making fraudulent charges.
As much as I detest the idea of more government regulation, there has to be some teeth in the current rules and regs regarding credit card security. Companies who allow their systems to be breached need to be held criminally and financially responsible. Unless they get hit in the wallet big time this abuse will not stop. It just keeps getting worse.
Google "Global Payments Breach" for info on one of the worst CC breaches of all time, they're still trying to assess the damage. One estimate was that up to 10 million card numbers were compromised.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:00 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff

But see, this why CC fraud is so rampant. Everybody treats it as "no big deal". Well, it is a big deal to me. Twice in the last 10 months I've had cards compromised, the last one while on our current trip to Grand Canyon. The problem is the CC processors databases get hacked, the numbers go up for sale on the internet and some low life buys them and starts making fraudulent charges.
As much as I detest the idea of more government regulation, there has to be some teeth in the current rules and regs regarding credit card security. Companies who allow their systems to be breached need to be held criminally and financially responsible. Unless they get hit in the wallet big time this abuse will not stop. It just keeps getting worse.
Google "Global Payments Breach" for info on one of the worst CC breaches of all time, they're still trying to assess the damage. One estimate was that up to 10 million card numbers were compromised.
I agree, it is a big deal when you use your CC to auto pay bills and your card is cancelled due to a possible fraud. New card means new number so you need to go in and change all of your auto pay accounts to the new number...BIG PITA!
Old 09-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #27

Your right, very few retailers ever verify signatures, I haven't signed the back of my credit card in 10 years, only one in 100 uses do I get asked for my I.D.. The retailer may not be reimbursed if that card is stolen and the signatures are not verified, it's part of their fraud protection. The credit card companies will put the burden on a retailer to prove they have followed the rules, if in their view they have not, the retailer does not get the money for the purchase. I have had it happen to me.

No retailer can enforce that rule, customers start to complain while standing in line and the cashier just wants to get you in and out fast, because that is exactly what you want. The retailers want happy customers, you don't go back to places that check signatures because it takes to long to check out. Retailers also want paid. So now the cashier just flips the card over quick, make sure the surveillance camera catches the act, swipe and done. Your signature was verified in a fraction of a second.

Most stolen credit card charges are used to purchase gift cards, they are much more difficult to track than a credit card, according to our local police department.

The card holder may see the fraudulent charges removed from their account. I have personal experience with Bank of America that did not remove fraudulent charges with a stolen credit card, even charges after the card was reported stolen, so anyone that assumes that the credit card company will just make fraudulent charges go away with a phone call is sadly mistaken.

If you flip that card to the gas station attendant while you are off pumping gas and using the bath room, you may want to read the fine print in your credit card agreement, as that action may not be deemed acceptable by your credit card company. I'm sure we all have something in our contracts that reads....if at any time your card is out of your possession you must immediately notify us so that the card can be deactivated and a new card issued...

All I'm saying is that it only takes one time, and you will never flip your card to an attendant, lay your wallet down while digging for change, leave your purse in the changing room for just 2 seconds. Because you will meet some very nice police men, get to know your bank manager and their fraud department, and find out your credit card company doesn't have your back.

The highest crime areas are not ones that many would suspect, most card fraud occurs at interstate retail locations, in and out and miles away in minutes. Local retailers such as motorcycle shops, Hallmark stores, dollar stores, see very little card fraud, the cashier has a much better chance of remembering the thief, and there are no shelf check outs or pay at the pumps.

The biggest joke is that credit card companies have a handle on fraud, they hand out cards like candy on Halloween. .Their handle on it is to make sure they charge retailers enough to cover the fraudulent right offs.

In my opinion the best fraud department of any institution is the U.S. Postal Service, if in any way you as the merchant or the card holder can get the Postal Service involved do so, they are dead serious about their integrity of their mail.

If any of you are patient enough to read my rant here, you may have guessed that I had several retail locations. Theft prevention is a major concern, and credit card companies are not always helpful, nor fair, or proactive, they are only out to for themselves. Please remember that, and take care of your little card that could cost you $1000.00-$50,000.00 before you know it's gone.

Tags
gas