Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #1

Gas smell from toilet.

After about 4 days of camping the smell from toilet when I flush is bad, I dump and redo cems but the black tank isn't even half full, I checked vent. Done lots of reading online but most problems are off mine. 2008 air stream use it about 3 times a year. Also the lp on the fridge dosent seem to keep temp well but works great on elec. hate to put any perishables in there if temp creeps up to 60 after a 10 hr drive, any suggestions would be appreciated. Ike.
Ike Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
If the exhaust fan is running when you flush it'll bring up the gases from the toilet.

If refrigerator doesn't cool enough on LP I'd clean the burner and check the flame for a nice blue color. Sounds like you're not getting enough heat.
pablo77rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:41 AM   #3

Get rid of the chemicals and use Happy Camper. If you use Happy Camper you won't have any odor, regardless of venting, exhaust fans, etc. Just try an 18 ounce package for $16.00 and if it doesn't work like they say you can return it for your money back. I buy the 64 ounce package and it costs me 69 cents for each fill/dump cycle for my black tank, and it works.
Happy Campers-Odorless-RV Holding Tank Treatment for Black and Grey Water Tanks

Perhaps service your refrigerator per your owners manual to get it working as it should.
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #4

I like Happy Camper too. It changes it from a poop smell to just a minor dirt smell. I use my trailer as a guest house and extra bathroom when it's parked at home and sometimes go a couple of months with waste in the tank. Definitely shut off the fan and close the lid when flushing.
bartlettj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
has anyone used Break Up?
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #6

We get no smells from our tank and we don't use anything. That's even when the Fantastic Fan is running right over the commode. When we dump the tanks we really hose out the black water tank until the water runs clear. I don't know if that makes any difference.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Ike Airstream,
Let's try the easy stuff first.
1. Under each sink should be a short pipe wit ha twist on cap (maybe black). This is an anti siphon valve. It is to allow the sink drain water to stay in the trap. If this valve fails, grey water smell will come into the coach. Grey can small just a bad a black.
2. If the toilet has a vent hose, this is a pretty cheap piece of plastic hose. If it breaks black aroma can come into the coach.
3. If all other gas appliances work correctly (double check), this could be low 12 VDC to the fridge. Consider checking the 12 VDC fridge power source after a day of travel. If low, that circuit from source to fridge should be checked.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #8

Thanks to all will take what I can, this a great tool for issues.
Ike Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote