Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2011, 06:55 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We get around this issue by using cash - I know, we're probably the only people in the country who still use cash, but it does work! Although we did find a station recently that could not enter more than $199 into the pump - we had to go back and hand them another $50 to get the tank completely full!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #16

Pre Pay Pilot

We use Pilot. Go inside prepay what you think you will need or a little more. They will swipe the card for that amount. They then turn on the pump and it displays the amount prepaid. You pump whatever you need. As soon as you turn off the pump, assuming it is less than you prepaid, the pump shuts off and automatically credits your card the difference. No second trip in to get the credit...
Mike Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #17
laj

Well, what i use is Petro/CFN fueling. No line, usually cheaper fuel
easy access, as they are set up to handle large trucks with double, and triple trailers, No card limit, as it is their own card. I get e-mail billing, or hard copy so i get the bill anytime i want to see how much i have spent. I can have them directly debit my cc account with just a phone call. The only down side is i believe there are a couple of states they aren`t in yet, but working on it. Also adding my fueling sites everyday. There are no attendants to mess with, no hassles.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:35 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a Pen Fed Visa which gives 5% rebate (monthly) on gas IF PAID AT THE PUMP. Does not apply if the transaction is inside. So although its a PITA its worth it on a long trip to save .20/gallon to stand and feed the card a few times to fill the tank.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:19 AM   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to mariogeneau
I also use cash when I'm in traveling in the states. When traveling in Quebec, I try to find a station with service and just tip accordingly. What I hate about paying cash is that I to go inside twice. Once to give a certain amount. Let's say 300$. A second time to get my change back. Let's say "not much with these gas prices".
Old 04-07-2011, 06:24 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Another vote for using the same card twice. Also, we have a Chevron card that gives 10 cents per gallon back if it is paid off monthly.
John_N_Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:41 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
I go inside. bY the time I stop for fuel, I'm needing to stretch out and walk a few feet.
I have to agree with Jim. By the time I stop for gas I need a stretch and maybe some junk food. Know that you 'estimate' what you think you need but it will, in the end, only charge what you use. So don't be afraid to ask for $2-3 hundred limit. That way you know the pump won't stop til it's full.

But the true travelers are they who leave for leaving’s sake
Saying continuously, without knowing why: ‘Let us go on’.
Paraphrased from Baudelaire’s ‘The Journey’
thelastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:18 AM   #22
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
With pump limits, for example, "There is no policy that limits transactions at the pump from MasterCard," says MasterCard spokesman Tristan Jordan. "The merchants themselves make the decision."
While that's true, the card processors heavily influence the merchants through their policies. Most credit card companies say that the merchants opt to put the pump limit at exactly the "charge-back" limit -- the highest amount the credit card company will pay a merchant if the transaction turns out to be fraudulent. In other words, they claim merchants cut off customers at the amount the bank will pay if the customer doesn't pay the bill. Visa and MasterCard set their limits at $75 (Visa raised its limit from $50 in April 2008).

More here.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #23

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
For what ever it's worth, we fueled up twice yesterday. Both times at a Pilot, two different states, both times maxed out at $75.00 twice and ran a third time all on the same Discover card.

Now having said that, don't try that in New Jersey. Totally different story. I tried that there, no go. AND you can't pump your own.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:37 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
just drove from Lazy Days (Tampa area) to Gatlinburg Tn. today and filled up at 2 Flying J's. Both accepted the FlyingJ card and gave the cash price. Also, card pumped $150 then stopped, had to rescan and start over, but, at least I didn't have to go into the station. This was on a visa card....
RonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #25

We just finished a 4 month trip and found out that the only thing you can count on is that each station is different. Some clerks knew how to pre-authorize $300.00 worth and some didn't. Sometimes we could buy $125 before reswiping and sometimes it was $75 or $85. We wound up just reswiping until it wouldn't work anymore and then using the second card. It saves time standing in line.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
hi

only use pay at the pump (don;t like having to go into the station)

i have not seen my card stop at $75.00
has stopped at $100.00 or $125.00

when shuts off before filled bacuse the upper liit has been hit; simply stop the pump, get receipt, and then re-start the pump and complete the fill up

pdq
Old 05-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
The purchase limit on a single CC transaction is set by both the CC company and the merchant.
1. The CC company tells the merchant how much they will guarantee payment on (an example is $75.00 in a single transaction).
2. The merchant can stay with this limit and take no risk, or set their computers to allow a higher limit. If the CC transaction goes south, the merchant would be liable for anything over the $75 example.

This is why most merchants do not allow any more $s pumped than the CC company is willing to guarantee payment.
I asked AMEX this question this morning and this is the response that I received.

Response (Surbhi Goel) 05/04/2011 02:43 PM
Dear Mr. Hall,

I'd like to inform you that Gas companies determine the pre-authorization limit, not American Express. A gas company with multiple locations may decide on the same limit for all its stores or they may decide to set different limits depending on the store's location or other factors.

If you wish to buy Gas for higher amount than the pre-authorized amount, I suggest that they you pay inside manually with the attendant.

I hope you find this information helpful and re-assuring. Have a great day ahead!
Sincerely, Surbhi Goel Email Servicing Team American Express Interactive Services
washbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:19 PM   #28

I got gas in the Florida panhandle several days ago; 2 draws at $125 each on the same card. Today right off the Natchez Trace at a Kangaroo station, I bought $210.60 all on one draw on my credit card.