Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2019, 09:16 PM   #15

Location: From California currently traveling this great country.
Also let's not forget that POS high speed rail that goes no where and thank God they have canceled. But a big big waste of money.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2019, 09:26 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Ok I’ll play. I can do better than that; come on over to Illinois. Home of worse roads in the nation. They’re currently trying to push through $.30/gal gas tax for road repair. Now, that really sounds bad, and it is, but this is on top of a laws that Illinois passed a few years back, brought on by the Illinois DOT, that kept the State Legislature from doing fund sweeps. They essentially swept the IDOT road fund and used the money for other things. Couple family members only thing keeping me in this state, for a little longer, then I’m outta here.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:27 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppyof5 View Post
Also let's not forget that POS high speed rail that goes no where and thank God they have canceled. But a big big waste of money.

I don't think it's been cancelled. I live in Fresno. The bullet train will go from here to Bakersfield. Whoopeeee. I can drive there in two hours but why would I. There is nobody I know that goes to Bakersfield for anything.

As for you Ohio folks I hope they apply the tax to fixing your roads but it seems they are experts at redirecting funds and I suspect a lot of that money will go down the rat hole.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:55 PM   #18

Location: From California currently traveling this great country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I don't think it's been cancelled. I live in Fresno. The bullet train will go from here to Bakersfield. Whoopeeee. I can drive there in two hours but why would I. There is nobody I know that goes to Bakersfield for anything.

As for you Ohio folks I hope they apply the tax to fixing your roads but it seems they are experts at redirecting funds and I suspect a lot of that money will go down the rat hole.
Oh I agree and why would you spend the money on it when you can take the Amtrak for what 20 bucks if that
Old 04-03-2019, 03:56 AM   #19

My bad. Michigan is proposing a mere 45 cents per gallon tax not the 48 cents I stated earlier.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:03 AM   #20

WOW! Only 45 more cents. We tax rain here in Jersey!
Old 04-03-2019, 07:24 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppyof5 View Post
Oh I can give you list of places that haven't taken care of but they are making progress. The 215, big areas of the 10 and the 40 but there is alot areas on the 99, 46, 43 now most are in Kern co where I spend most of my time or roads I have been on recently. There is alot of work to do for sure.

Kind of makes you wonder what they were doing with the $15 billion in just state fuel taxes they we collecting before the tax increase. Prior to the tax increase, they were collecting something like $15,000 per lane mile per year in just state fuel taxes. Second highest in the nation and their roads are the least affected by snow and ice.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:27 AM   #22

Seems like the politicians on both sides manipulate budgets and take gas tax revenues and reallocate them to pet projects. Then when roads get dilapidated they ask for more revenues from gas tax. I’d like to see repercussions for previous leaders and lawmakers that are guilty of misappropriation if funds. It will never happen and until then we get the bill.

Now the extra revenues should cover repairs to the Western Hills viaduct and other bridges that needed completely rebuilt 30 years ago....... hahahaha not gonna happen.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:30 AM   #23
Community Administrator

This is an easy topic to turn political, however our Community Rules do not permit it.
Thanks for understanding.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Old 04-03-2019, 08:26 AM   #24

Rexhall Owners Group
With the increase in Ohio the tax per gallon is 38.5 cents. MI is 44.3,IN is 42.5 WV is 35.7, PA is 58.7 and KY is 26 cents. Plan your fill ups accordingly.

In addition, plug in electric cars will be charged an additional $200 per year and plug in hybrids an additional $100 per year to adjust for their lower or lack of use of gasoline. Ohio's constitution requires the monies collected be used for roads with 55% to the state and 45% to local roads.

We just returned from GA and the condition of the interstates outside the cities were best in KY followed by TN, OH and GA. Cincy on I-75 is horrible and given the limited land available, the current upgrades will take several years to complete. Guess we'll be going the I-77 route for the next few years even though it means more time in the mountains.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:46 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrv View Post
When i drove through ohio and michigian 2 years ago the condition of the roads had me thinking they either had no state gas tax or someone was stealing the money. You could not convince me they used any money on road maint.
well now you know that they do have a tax
Old 04-03-2019, 09:03 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Roads are a public good. We couldn't RV without good roads. It's counterintuitive to complain about the road use taxes that maintain the roads we use for RVing. And, these road use taxes are paid by every one equally... to our great benefit.

It's either road use taxes or toll roads. One or the other. It's wrong headed to complain about something that pays for services that we all depend on and need. If we can't accept taxation then we should not expect ANY public services. Ever.

Don't be closed minded. The roads are in horrible shape in many states (I'm looking at you Michigan and Illinois) and much of the reason is a couple of decades of inadequate funding for infrastructure repairs. Wanna guess why? People complaining about gas taxes.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:38 AM   #27

Nobody is arguing there shouldn't be taxes to pay for roads. The problem is state governments have lied over and over and diverted money they swore was for the roads to other things. In CA, they raise the gas taxes every 3 years or so thinking we forgot they just raised the taxes and again swear it's to fix the roads. Well, the latest 12 cent tax increase may finally be going to fix the roads, but guess what, the previous 58 cents are now permanently diverted to other things. Note that they don't count the carbon tax they passed 8 years ago in the 70 cents a gallon we pay raising our total to 90 cents or more. And don't even get me going on the winter and summer blend scam they have going on here. You asked me to not be closed minded. I'm asking you to open your eyes. The infrastructure is bad because they stole the money.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:54 AM   #28

If Ohio follows through with using the money for the roads, I won't complain. We just came back from a trip to Florida and the worst road of the trip was the stretch of 71 from just north of Cincinnati to Columbus! Likewise, many stretches of the turnpike (80) are in bad repair. We have to face it that nationwide, our roads and bridges need major work and somewhere along the way, we are all going to pay for it. But, it would sure be nice to travel on smooth roads with a minimum of bumpy expansion joints, pot holes and huge stretches of work zones!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
Closed Thread

Tags
gas