Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2019, 11:26 AM   #43

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Really NLOVNIT you start a gas tax thread and don't want it to get political!!

Where is the sarcasm button?

Glenn
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2019, 11:59 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Some areas are charging a road tax to electric cars because they don't use gas!
The Ohio law includes a $200 yearly tax for electric vehicles and a $100 yearly tax for hybrid vehicles based on the idea that they also contribute to wear and tear on the roads.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
Old 04-04-2019, 12:10 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm curious about the I80 toll road. Cost me a bunch to go over it several years ago.

Is it self supporting or do the gas taxes cover it too?

Our gas tax in California is high but we don't have toll roads. A couple small ones but not enough to matter. Seems to me if you had to pay that toll all the time it would really be a burden.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:15 PM   #46

tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56safari View Post
With the increase in Ohio the tax per gallon is 38.5 cents. MI is 44.3,IN is 42.5 WV is 35.7, PA is 58.7 and KY is 26 cents. Plan your fill ups accordingly.

In addition, plug in electric cars will be charged an additional $200 per year and plug in hybrids an additional $100 per year to adjust for their lower or lack of use of gasoline. Ohio's constitution requires the monies collected be used for roads with 55% to the state and 45% to local roads.

We just returned from GA and the condition of the interstates outside the cities were best in KY followed by TN, OH and GA. Cincy on I-75 is horrible and given the limited land available, the current upgrades will take several years to complete. Guess we'll be going the I-77 route for the next few years even though it means more time in the mountains.

Pa has the highest gas tax in the country. They use it pave the roads with POTHOLES.
I79 is one continuous work zone. They start at the top and by the time they are finished, the have to start all over again.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:06 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Gas Tax Increase for OH - Effective July 1

First using fuel taxes to actually go to roads would be a good start. But that’s a political solution discussion so it doesn’t fit here
We all , or most of us use roads and probably can agree need to pay a “fair share” the only question is how do we do that? The gas tax appears to have worked in the past ( or not) I’d be interested to see how those taxes have kept up with the cost of living in today’s dollars vs past in relation to time and miles of roads driven
We all benefit from roads no matter if we use them or not . They all deteriorate with time and weather alone. But most comes from use and the more we use the faster they deteriorate.
I’ll give Ohio the benefit of the doubt ( and many other states ) but would using gas tax ( and commercial vehicles mile tax ) solely for roads be enough? What do we do about electric cars who in most places , I get the exceptions , pay no gas tax and are let off as a incentive to move to electric we drive a electric Volt
In my mind the only truly fair way is we all pay a basic amount but those who use the road pay by the miles driven , much as commercial trucks do. This always meets major opposition why I’m not so sure. Cheating and gps privacy issues I suppose .
I’m not sure there is a way to agree on anything other than the other guy should pay. Until then OH will raise tax. When was the last federal tax increase? Hiding the taxes in the fuel cost doesn’t appear to work well as I bet most of us couldn’t tell you what that tax is .. what the federal amount is and the state and how much with then number of gallons of Gas / diesel you use you pay in federal and state tax per year. I know I sure can’t
Old 04-04-2019, 01:41 PM   #48

Rexhall Owners Group
Bill,

My curious nature made me go back and see how inflation compared with the Ohio gas tax increase. The oldest gas tax info I could find was 1993 when Ohio's gas tax was 22 cents per gallon. In 2019 dollars that works out to be 38.5 cents which is the new rate. I just wish the rate were adjusted for inflation each year like the federal income tax brackets.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:41 PM   #49

Who does not love irony?

From the OP's tag line:

"Complaining about a problem without proposing a solution is called whining." Theodore Roosevelt

My favorite solution to fuel prices is slowing down and getting off the interstate. This has the added benefit of actually seeing America.

Solution #2 is planning fuel stops. Last year I drove from the last Fred Meyers in Oregon via Susanville to the first Smith's near Reno without spending any money in California. This has the added benefit of seeing some beautiful mountains and avoid big city traffic.

Energy in the form of transportation fuel and electricity are exceedingly cheap commodities relative to the benefit. Because of assumed environmental impact energy is sin taxed like booze and smokes.

I do not see it as more than an irritation for those of us that have big houses even if they have wheels.

The problem is that energy taxes are very regressive for low income people.

The best part of energy taxes and onerous regulations is that you can tell low income people how you are protecting them from 'greedy' energy companies.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:29 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
First using fuel taxes to actually go to roads would be a good start. But that’s a political solution discussion so it doesn’t fit here
We all , or most of us use roads and probably can agree need to pay a “fair share” the only question is how do we do that? The gas tax appears to have worked in the past ( or not) I’d be interested to see how those taxes have kept up with the cost of living in today’s dollars vs past in relation to time and miles of roads driven
We all benefit from roads no matter if we use them or not . They all deteriorate with time and weather alone. But most comes from use and the more we use the faster they deteriorate.
I’ll give Ohio the benefit of the doubt ( and many other states ) but would using gas tax ( and commercial vehicles mile tax ) solely for roads be enough? What do we do about electric cars who in most places , I get the exceptions , pay no gas tax and are let off as a incentive to move to electric we drive a electric Volt
In my mind the only truly fair way is we all pay a basic amount but those who use the road pay by the miles driven , much as commercial trucks do. This always meets major opposition why I’m not so sure. Cheating and gps privacy issues I suppose .
I’m not sure there is a way to agree on anything other than the other guy should pay. Until then OH will raise tax. When was the last federal tax increase? Hiding the taxes in the fuel cost doesn’t appear to work well as I bet most of us couldn’t tell you what that tax is .. what the federal amount is and the state and how much with then number of gallons of Gas / diesel you use you pay in federal and state tax per year. I know I sure can’t
Fuel pumps used to display the tax. Now they all have TV’s so everyone is distracted from such potentially disturbing data. It’s easy enough to look up the tax info online. Even easier to fill and go.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:40 PM   #51
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Um, where did I say it was a problem?

I hope these new funds will truly go to fix/maintain/upgrade our roads. People are moving into the area in which I live in droves. All those people mean more vehicles on the road & more wear & tear on them. With more & more electric vehicles being on our roads too, we needed more money from somewhere.

Lori-
Old 04-09-2019, 09:32 PM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I'm curious about the I80 toll road. Cost me a bunch to go over it several years ago.

Is it self supporting or do the gas taxes cover it too?

Our gas tax in California is high but we don't have toll roads. A couple small ones but not enough to matter. Seems to me if you had to pay that toll all the time it would really be a burden.

Being in the Bay Area for many years, the bridges have gone to electronic cameras, and when I visited a friend in Irvine they had some toll road, empty and serene. Cost a lot more than Kansas however.

1993 Pace Arrow Diesel Allison 6 spd
Cummins 8.3C Oshkosh M chassis
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport JK 2017 EZ-Go Golf Cart
Old 04-10-2019, 05:23 AM   #53

Wow! Everybody just got a huuuge income tax cut. Why is it so hard to give the state a pinch to fix the roads?
Old 04-10-2019, 09:44 AM   #54
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Because I didn't get a "huuuge" state income tax cut! This increase is put in place by the state, not federal.

Plus, if the state really used all the funds for road improvements/repairs I would have no problem. It's when those funds get funneled elsewhere and our roads are still in the deplorable condition they are in, THEN I have a problem with that.

Lori-
Old 04-10-2019, 11:34 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Because I didn't get a "huuuge" state income tax cut! This increase is put in place by the state, not federal.

Plus, if the state really used all the funds for road improvements/repairs I would have no problem. It's when those funds get funneled elsewhere and our roads are still in the deplorable condition they are in, THEN I have a problem with that.

Lori-
Well, first, if I win $20 on the galloping dominoes, or find a $20 on the ground, I got more money in my pocket.
And the same pocket idea can be extended to the state. And the only 2 reasons state's money could possibly spend money in a manner you disapprove of; 1) the majority of people want other things done with the money. Or more likely 2) Nobody pays any attention to what the legislatures are doing.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:41 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Have you considered moving?

About 10 years ago we took our youngest then in high school to see the house we lived in when I was born in Ohio. I had not been back since joining the navy. It is a nice little town just as I remembered it visiting my grandparents. But I could see why he did not stay long after he got out of the navy after WWII.

Ohio is not a place where I would want to spend either winner of summer. It has nothing to do with taxes.
Closed Thread

Tags
gas