Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2015, 07:39 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gas to powerstroke

F53 chassis. stay with 460 gas or 6.2 diesel or Cummins diesel

usnret997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2015, 09:45 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by usnret997 View Post
When I had my 6.0 Powerstroke pickup, I priced the Cumins conversions and it was at least $12K.

If the 460 is really tired and you have a lot of time on your hands I'd stuff a Cumins in a F53 chassis.

Otherwise, a 460 can rebuilt into one mean motor.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:13 PM   #3

Diesel conversions add a lot of weight and need more cooling than your current engine. Doable, but spendy.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:18 AM   #4

Gas, but I'd never buy anything diesel. Remember diesel means double and some times A LOT more than that. Just do a search on diesel engine replacement.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
Gas, but I'd never buy anything diesel. Remember diesel means double and some times A LOT more than that. Just do a search on diesel engine replacement.
Yes, but a properly maintained diesel engine can see upwards of 500,000 miles in a lot of cases before any major engine overhaul work.. I'll agree with you, diesel is expensive to repair and maintain, but imho, totally worth it.. I couldn't imagine even hauling my truck camper with a gas powered version of my truck... but with the cummuns, it powers along like nothings in the bed.
poriggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:25 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Will need to do more research. Thanks
Old 06-06-2015, 05:40 AM   #7
paz

Quote:
Are you talking about buying a new motorhome or doing an engine swap? If you're thinking about an engine swap, you can probably get a decent, used diesel pusher for a lot less than you'd spend on an engine swap, and with a lot less hassle.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:58 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
Are you talking about buying a new motorhome or doing an engine swap? If you're thinking about an engine swap, you can probably get a decent, used diesel pusher for a lot less than you'd spend on an engine swap, and with a lot less hassle.
That's the research. Have been thinking about a DP.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by poriggity View Post
Yes, but a properly maintained diesel engine can see upwards of 500,000 miles in a lot of cases before any major engine overhaul work.. I'll agree with you, diesel is expensive to repair and maintain, but imho, totally worth it.. I couldn't imagine even hauling my truck camper with a gas powered version of my truck... but with the cummuns, it powers along like nothings in the bed.

How many motorhomes ever even get close to 100,000 miles? 5% maybe at the most. I see tons of over 20 year old ones with less than 30k. Everyone on here seems to be in no hurry to get anywhere so why the need for so much power when a gas will get you there? How many times on here have I read "I'll stay at 60mph and arrive 20 minutes behind you relaxed and refreshed?" Seems like a awful lot of coin spent for the little advantage you get. But then my MH is just a way to get me there, the destination is what I'm interested in.
So what it really comes down to is just keeping up with the Jones's, that's why you have rv parks with restrictions, wouldn't want to have to park your 300k rig next to some low lifes 40k one. Heaven forbid...
Old 06-07-2015, 08:48 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok, I'm one of those with the less than $40,000 rigs. When I can I'm going to check on a powerstroke. More sound deading on the dog house. Radio turn up.
I don't plan on getting rid of mine any time soon. Have a car with 269,000 on the clock. As long as I can keep working on them, I keep them.

Navy out.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:55 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I'm a compulsive tinkerer I pondered the same question back when i first got my RV. I looked into possibly swapping a 7.3 PS or a 6cyl Cummins to help with some of the mountain roads we drive. As mentioned in other posts even used parts are pricey and realistically it would be cheaper just to trade up. I still dream about the joys of swapping drivetrains I just cant bring myself to spend the money.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:04 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sthwindrider View Post
I'm a compulsive tinkerer I pondered the same question back when i first got my RV. I looked into possibly swapping a 7.3 PS or a 6cyl Cummins to help with some of the mountain roads we drive. As mentioned in other posts even used parts are pricey and realistically it would be cheaper just to trade up. I still dream about the joys of swapping drivetrains I just cant bring myself to spend the money.
Will keep this one and do it just to do it but I'm looking to move to a DP. I work on them myself. Hate to have the know how go to waste.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:54 AM   #13

It is more than just an engine swap, the bellhousing bolt pattern of 460 gas is different than 7.3 Powerstroke. So figure an engine and transmission swap in the scope of work. Also 7.3 PS has electronic injector controls, so you have some additional computer controls to wire in.

Earlier Ford (really IH) 6.9/7.3 IDI diesel do not have the computer issues. Same with the 6.2/6.5 diesels from GM. All of these are mechanical rotary injection pump style - not electronic. Make sure you get a turbo version of any of these, otherwise your 460 will seem like a relative powerhouse in comparison. All have the required trans swap.

The only way to make this swap work is if you have a free or cheap engine and trans to swap. It will still cost some money.

I agree with the rest, better to just sell yours and buy a diesel powered MH.

38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, power