Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2017, 06:17 PM   #1

Gas versus Diesel

do you think that it is worth the extra $$$ for a diesel over a gas engine? I am undecided
spectrum581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2017, 06:29 PM   #2

Oh now you did it. , depends on your intended use. some people don't need or should not have diesels IMO. Some need due to weight some just want. Really depends on the weight of the RV and how you intend to use it. weekend warrior gas will do fine, lots of long distance is where the diesel shines.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:34 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Unfortunately you won't find much in the way of opinions on this subject.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:16 PM   #4

Plus are you talking a tow vehicle or coach?

If coach the decision is really how big a coach are you getting. Smaller tend to be gas larger diesel with a little over lap in the middle.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:24 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Many threads here covering this topic. Suggest to use the search feature to find them. Lots to review.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:28 PM   #6

It's a personal decision . If your asking is assume your working with a budget . If you need or want the power because your pulling a heavy trailer and or climbing a lot of hills , you might wish you had it .
It's not in my budget so I'm doing fine with gas .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:43 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
You need to decide what type of travel you will be doing. Flat lands, Hills, or mountain. Next you need to decide if you are going to tow a vehicle or a trailer. By reading the many threads on this subject you will be able to decide if you need one or the other.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:04 PM   #8

It depends, I am generally a very pro diesel person, I own a diesel F250 pickup and own probably close to a dozen diesel powered pieces of equipment, yet when I bought my small 28 ft Class A motorhome last year I ended up buying a front engine gasoline powered model as it fit what I needed in a motorhome.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:46 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Only you can decide that, it's your $$$. It all depends on the parameters/wants/needs mentioned in prior posts. Either can be justified depending on use.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:30 PM   #10

YES....
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:39 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
We are happy with our thirty foot class A and we tow a Suzuki Grand Vitara behind us. I am happy with the present setup and have traveled south from Vancouver Island to Baha Kino Mexico and east from the island to the Toronto Ontario area. Our next unit will be a diesel just for their ability to retain speed climbing mountains and out here you tend to find lots of them. Either will work for you if everything works the way you want. Enjoy the search because that too is part of the fun.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:12 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
The investment in a diesel will payoff in added resale value which offsets some the initial cost. A diesel costs more to maintain along the way which negates some of that offset. A diesel gets better mileage which offsets some of that offset. There is no cut and dry answer to your question.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:29 AM   #13
IC2

As others have either indirectly or directly said, it all boils down to your intended use. The diesel power does cost more to buy and maintain vs gas. Make yourself a sheet of pros and cons for what your intended purpose will be then decide - maybe. But that's how I decided to jump into diesel power for our TV over the tried and proven V10 I had.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:27 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have read all the post on this topic and it comes up a lot. I have had both. For me it was a matter of the size and cost. I went gas this time after having a diesel. I wanted a smaller coach that is easy to maintain. I will not be going fulltime, and I can do the work on it my self much easier with gas. I am on a trip to California from Minnesota right now with my new coach, and had some engine problems, but, Ford was great. Between Ford corporate and the dealers along the way, we got it worked out. I was getting 6 to 8 mpg with my pusher, I am getting 6 to 8 with the Ford. Ride is a little rougher, but it handles just as well in the wind. The new 6 speed is a big improvement. I have had 5 gas coaches and 2 pushers. Good and bad with all of them.

There is no perfect coach. Find the one with the most advantages for YOU.

Tags
diesel, gas