Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
gas vs diesel yearly maintenance cost

Any time there is a question on gas vs diesel a lot of folks always say the diesel cost a lot more. What are these cost? I have my oil changed and a lube job each year about $400 could wait longer because I don't drive that far each year. Have my generator serviced and roof checked each year about $100.

What are these great amounts of $ I'm missing paying out.

jack r

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My last oil change on my Ford F 53 was $39. My Gen takes two quarts of oil and a filter.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Cliff

I think you do your own maintenance? I'm not handy enough to do that, therefore I pay.

jack r
Old 06-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not that type. The price I quoted was from the Ford Dealer .

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I think a lot of the comments about how expensive diesel maintenance is, are referring to how much it costs to fix things when they break. Yes, the annual stuff is more expensive as Cliff pointed out, but I think it really hits you between the eyes when something breaks in that engine and the clock starts running on shop time.

Although there are lots of horror stories about how expensive broken diesels can be (and led me to buy and extended warranty), in six years and 50,000 miles not a single thing has broken in my engine and I can only remember even seeing the engine a few times when the bed was lifted.

Sure seems pretty bullet proof... I guess, until they're not.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack R View Post
Any time there is a question on gas vs diesel a lot of folks always say the diesel cost a lot more. What are these cost? I have my oil changed and a lube job each year about $400 could wait longer because I don't drive that far each year. Have my generator serviced and roof checked each year about $100.

jack r
Whether diesel maintenance is substantially higher than a gas chassis largely depends on usage. A typical gas chassis may call for oil and filters change at 3-5,000 miles. A diesel may call for the same service at 15,000 miles. If both chassis are driven 15k in a year the diesel may cost less to service. If both chassis are driven 5k in a year the diesel will be substantially more. The volume of oil involved in a diesel change may be 4 times that of a gas engine. The filters are bigger and more expensive. There may be 2 fuel filters. There may be a coolant filter and coolant additives to adjust. Once every couple of years the air system needs a service. When you change the air filter they are much bigger and much more expensive. All these diesel components were developed for the over the road trucking industry and their maintenance cycles are designed around massive annual Milage or stop and go daily driving. These components serve us well in RVs but our usage requirements are much, much lower than what they were designed for.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #7

We change our own oil in our DP. 26 quarts of shell rotella is about $75. And cat filter is $12. Fighting with husband to hand him tools while he is under the MH $$$$priceless!!
Old 06-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
steve rick o

Understand when engine parts go bad it is expensive. Had an inframe done on my big truck once cost 10K ran great after but it did put a dent in my profit that year.

I agree with all responses, I just felt that responses I read when people ask about the gas vs diesel people where trying to scare people away from the diesel.

gas vs diesel is the same as chevy vs ford.

jack r
Old 06-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #9

Quote:
steve rick o

Understand when engine parts go bad it is expensive. Had an inframe done on my big truck once cost 10K ran great after but it did put a dent in my profit that year.

I agree with all responses, I just felt that responses I read when people ask about the gas vs diesel people where trying to scare people away from the diesel.

gas vs diesel is the same as chevy vs ford.

jack r

Okay, let's level the playing field and assume that all annual maintenance (gas or diesel) is performed by a "shop". First, I would suggest that gas units can easily go 5,000 to 7,500 miles between routine oil changes, but let an oil analysis determine that, same as determining an oil change for a diesel. When it comes to filters (oil, fuel, air), there is no comparison in terms of cost with diesel being substantially more expensive. Without getting in to the several other "diesel chassis specific" routine maintenance procedures, in my experience maintaining a diesel coach is clearly substantially more expensive.

cheers,
Joopy
Old 06-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #10

With my diesel I change the oil and filter more frequently as these engines have more of a soot and sludge buildup that is destructive and the engine takes twice as much oil. The chassis lubing I do myself as I do that a lot more often at 3,000 mile intervals, than the oil changes which I have done every 7500 miles.

It is the cost of repairs where diesels are much more expensive. Replacing a set of injectors will cost around $5,000 and for that I could easily have the entire gas engine rebuilt in any truck.

I also spent $9,000 more for the diesel truck with its Allision transmission and I pay at least 10% more for diesel than I would for regular gas. Over the life of the truck the diesel engine will add about $10,000 to the cost to buy, own, and operate the truck.

Many guys change their oil and filters (oil and fuel and transmission) far more frequently than is required and use synthetic lubricants that are more than double the cost of mineral stocks and this will increase the maintenance costs but it is a measure of their foolishness and not diesel engines per se.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhornsun View Post
Many guys change their oil and filters (oil and fuel and transmission) far more frequently than is required and use synthetic lubricants that are more than double the cost of mineral stocks and this will increase the maintenance costs but it is a measure of their foolishness and not diesel engines per se.
Is it the increased frequency or the use of synthetics you find foolish?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:22 PM   #12

Quote:

jack r
JackR,

I agree with you! Lot's of stuff is thrown around, and there might be a slight difference in the cost to maintain, but it doesn't outweigh the benefits, assuming you are willing to pay the initial costs.

I, personally, don't know of any gas engines with exhaust or engine brakes and I don't want to give up my exhaust brake!

There are only a few rear engine gassers out there, and I don't want to give up my rear engine!

Injectors, inter-coolers, etc are not "normal" costs but catastrophic failures/maintenance costs and should be compared to the longevity and advantages of one vs the other.

But it all boils down to personal preference/decision. Me, I want the heavy block, the exhaust brake, and the rear engine, among other things.

To each his own, and I understand where your original question comes from.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #13

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:

jack r
The one word of caution I would inject here is that if you start off with the attitude that service items "could air longer" because you don't drive that much, you will get yourself in trouble. Diesel engines can last a million miles but they must be maintained. Lots of DP owners have learned this the hard way after having taken the approach that they really didn't have to do certain maintenance items because they didn't drive that much. Certain maintenance items such as transmission fluid replacement can be deferred if fluid analysis supports doing so but don't make that assumption without doing the analysis.

If you follow the manufacturer's maintenance schedules you will end up with roughly one key additional item per year in addition to the basic oil change and fuel filters. For us this year I decided it was time to replace the engine thermostat because CAT treats it as a routine replaceable item. It cost $250 parts and labor at a CAT dealer. I was out of there for ~$1k which is par for the course for annual scheduled maintenance. Sure, I could do it myself if I had a shop and could dispose of 36 quarts of oil and knew what I was doing, etc.

docj is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas, maintenance